+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR RENEWAL COMPLICATION

sher87

May 15, 2012
Hi, I became a permanent resident back in 2002 and I was underage at the time..So the first time renewal in 2007 was renewed on the basis of my parents travelling in and out and me being with them.
I went to medical school in India from 2005 to 2010 . So I was out of the country until late 2010 and came back end of 2010 as soon as my course was done. My mother is a citizen and she was with me so the first bit before I turned 21 was still counted under her. Since november 2010 I have been in canada the whole time except for a 2 month vacation. Basically my PR was expiring in sept 2012 and I applied for renewal in March and by then I had 651 days of my own and the rest from my dependent age under my mother. I got a letter from immigration canada asking for proof of residency in these past 5 years as well as - all pages of my passport(s)
- personal immigration entry/exit record
Firstly i'm worried if this is a sign that my PR wont be renewed. I have enough proof of having been in the country because well I have been in the country since 2010 and for the breaks I used to get from school in India I was always here 1 month in the year or so. However I just wanted to know if I send all my bank statements, utility bills and proof of working and so on , what are the chances of my PR getting renewed and how long will the whole process take. Very worried for some reason as I wasn't expecting this. Kindly help . Has anyone had a similar experience ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just give them the documents they want. Make sure you mention again which period you were under 22 and were accompanying your citizen mother. It may take longer but they should renew your PR. However, if you would have waited another 3 months to renew at which time you would have had 730 days, you could have avoided this.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon,

What happens if the OP does not send them the docs they requested?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the docs are not sent, immigration may consider the application abandoned and may just cancel it without any effect but if they believe that the person did not meet the residency requirements, they could also take action to revoke their PR.

Tche

May 31, 2012
Hi Leon , I need ur urgent help for my PR Renewal.
I sent the Application for myself , my wife and son with two years absence.
I received a letter from IO to provide passports copies as well as exit entry records for addressed for all of us.
I did so with the required official translation. By the way i was reported in one time in the airport before applying to PR renewal since i was unable to provide my old lost passport despite i mentioned that i lost it and i have a police report and a new passport.

Again I received the same letter but addressed only for me and my 8 years son but not for my wife !

The two letters I received for me and my son requiring the same info as the first letter above but with highlights on " certified copies" and " legible copies" .

The copies I sent before are translated but not certified in the first time since I lost my passports and that's why I was not able to certify them.
My questions are :
1- in replying back the only thing I can do that to write a letter to the IO mentioning that I was unable to send a certified passports copies since I have lost my passports and to attach the police report , is this right ?
2- if it's ok to do so what will be the next step from the IO ? Interview ? Further documents ? Questionaire ?
3- why IO ask for certified copies for me and my son only but not my wife although her passport copies were sent with mine not certified as well ? Does this mean that she passed ?
4- Im out side canada now and PR will expire soon can I got back to canada through borders with a private car and an expired PR without a travel documents ?

Pls response ASAP

Regards,

Tche

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. That's right. You could also take action to find something to prove that you were in Canada at the time you said you were. Did you work? Do you have pay slips? Can you get a letter from your employer at that time that you worked there full time from date x through date y?

2. If they are satisfied with your answers, maybe that's it but if not, they could ask for more. Remember that it is your burden of proof to prove that you were in Canada, not theirs to prove that you weren't.

3. That could mean that she passed. Did she also lose her passport?

4. They might give you trouble at the border but they should let you enter.

Tche

May 31, 2012
1- The three years I stayed in canada I was not working but I have my own home and tax paid as well as home insurance as well as telephone & electricity bills etc...
3- my wife old passport also lost with mine and when we sent the copies , we sent both copies of the lost passports as well as the new passports.

Do they may call for interview ? what they may ask and what should I bring with me ?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The documents you mentioned do not seem like good proofs since they can be obtained without you being physically in Canada. Bank statements with frequent activities may be a better proof. See if you can obtain CBSA records showing your entries and possibly exits from Canada. If you get called in for an interview, then take EVERYTHING you could think of to prove you were in the country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV has a good idea with the bank records but also try to get letters from your doctor and dentist stating when you had visited them because this will collaborate the evidence of having been in Canada. Also if you think of anything that you have done regularly where people have seen you. Did you belong to a gym? A club? Did you take courses? Anywhere you might have been on a regular basis. Try to get some evidence of that.

Do you have a store loyalty card that you have been using when you buy your groceries? You can also ask them if they can get you a printout of all your points and when you got them.

Tche

May 31, 2012
Dear Leon

My PR expired last month and I'm still waiting for the new PR to arrive , I'm outside canada now but my family are in with also their PR card expired as well.

I'm planning to come next week to canada through US borders since I have a valid US visa . Last August I entered and was questioned since i was reported once early in 2012 and then let me in but my PR was still valid in August when I entered also through US borders .
My question is , what should I expect this time on the borders and also what should I bring with me to support my situation since I'm not fulfilling the residency obligations so far ( 730 days) !!

yazmost

Star Member
Apr 27, 2007
Hi Tche,
First, I would I advice to cross borders on a busy day like weekends. How did they questioned you at the borders? did they ask you to go to the office or they just asked you questions while you were in your car? and then let you go? did they search your car. Please let us know how it went at the border and how you were reported early 2012?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tche, when you posted in May, you said you have a 2 year absence. That means you do meet the requirements. You are allowed up have up to a 3 year absence in a 5 year period. If you do meet the requirements, you just explain that at the border.

If you do not meet the requirements, you really should stop leaving Canada if you get in. Getting in without a PR card while not meeting the requirements is always a hassle and a risk for you to lose your PR.