+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal - attended OSAP certified college

kansas6000

May 5, 2010
Guys...
I have a question regarding renewal of PR. I have been a student at a university that's OSAP certified. Will my stay in school be counted under the provisions of R61(1)(c) which states "organization or enterprise that is created by the laws of Canada or a province" Since I have been attending a university in this category that's certified by OSAP, will a letter of my enrollment be sufficient to count towards the 765 days required for PR renewal.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Was your university "created by the laws of Canada or a province"? You can try it but I don't think you have much of a chance. It's also 730 days in Canada by the way.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am confused. Is your university in Canada or outside Canada?

kansas6000

May 5, 2010
My school was in the Caribbean.

If you look in the document in the link below on p17 it does mention universities. I was going to get an enrollment letter stating the school is OSAP certified. Then, I guess it may make a difference.

cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

khan6000 said:
Guys...
I have a question regarding renewal of PR. I have been a student at a university that's OSAP certified. Will my stay in school be counted under the provisions of R61(1)(c) which states "organization or enterprise that is created by the laws of Canada or a province" Since I have been attending a university in this category that's certified by OSAP, will a letter of my enrollment be sufficient to count towards the 765 days required for PR renewal.
No.

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
Studying outside Canada will not count towards maintaining PR status.
Your only other options are:
- be employed full time by a Canadian company
- accompanying a Canadian citizen abroad
- accompanying a PR holder spouse working full time for a Canadian company abroad

Sadruddin

Jul 21, 2008
The mention of "universities" you referred in that document (p17) actually meant universities where you will employed outside canada on full-time basis; not as a student. At least that's how I read that clause!

Hope this is useful.