+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR RENEWAL APPLICATION Question 20 (Self Employed Details)

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Hi Members

I will be doing my PR Renewal application soon. I am hoping to gain some valuable guidance.
My background, is
- I have been employed and self employed in the past 4.5 years
- I paid myself through salary and i have T4s from self employed income as well as when i was not self employed i.e. employed normally
- i do have extensive travel in the first 2.5 years, but rather less travel in the subsequent 2 years,
- i will be completing more than 3 years, at the time of application of PR renewal
- i will be applying for citizenship also, at the same time.

On question 20 it asks for work history,

on this link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#5445E4

the following is written, i dont under the "you must provide details of your self-employment"

"Question 20

Your Work and Education History: You must list all your work and education history inside and outside Canada for the past five (5) years or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago.

You must account for each month during this time:

• If you were retired, unemployed, or a homemaker for any part of this time, provide that information, including the location.
  • If you were self-employed, you must provide details of your self-employment.
Use another page if you need more space to list this information.

Stating “not applicable” (or “N/A”), or leaving a question blank may result in your application being returned as incomplete."

I am hoping to gain some valuable guidance

what i can provide as proof also, do we need to do a cover letter, does anyone has any format of a cover letter we can use as a basis

All help is much appreciated in advance.

bethanyholz

Jan 21, 2018
Hey there, did you end up getting a response to this question? I have some self employed work I need to include in my form but it doesnt give you the option to do so.
Any ideas?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey there, did you end up getting a response to this question? I have some self employed work I need to include in my form but it doesnt give you the option to do so.
Any ideas?
Write your company name or your employer's name.

bethanyholz

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not a registered business. I just do some small gardening jobs on the side which I claim on my taxes. I have a business name so I guess I'll just write that! Thanks for your help :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not a registered business. I just do some small gardening jobs on the side which I claim on my taxes. I have a business name so I guess I'll just write that! Thanks for your help :)
So your business is unlicensed? I would write your name if I were you.

bethanyholz

Jan 21, 2018
So your business is unlicensed? I would write your name if I were you.
I am employed full time by my employer. I just do very rare gardening jobs for some people I know when they need it. There is no need for me to register as a business because I hardly work for myself. But I work enough that I like to claim it on my taxes.

Makes sense to just write my name. My friend also suggested this, so I'll do that :) thanks for your suggestion!