+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal application queries

pitra426

Jan 1, 2016
Here is a summary of my status on the RO obligation. Apologies for the long post. Hope someone would chime in to answer the highlighted queries.
-First landed in Feb-2017,stayed for 6 days and moved out to Asia(had just taken up a new position before the PR came through).
-Transferred to Canada with previous employer -landed in end-Dec-'19.
Due to my preference to move out of QC (higher taxes, additional QC tax filing,French language obstacle to new jobs) have lived continuously at a few Airbnb sites.
-Total days outside since becoming PR: 1,056
-Total days inside since becoming PR: 746 and counting (should have close to 750 by the time I date & courier the renewal application)

Q1.Have printed out all of the following for the last 2 years: employer payslips,bank checking account & credit card statements, 2020 Federal & QC tax statement of accounts,all Airbnb receipts and ,email from accommodation provider (for employer-provided housing for 1st 2 months:End Dec-'19 to end Feb-'20)
To offset any queries around maintaining RO , would it help to attach all the above supporting documents to the renewal appln?

Q2.Address & travel history: As I stayed outside between early Feb-'17 and end-Dec-'19, do I have to detail all addresses & trips made when outside Canada ?

Address history in Canada: I do plan to detail all addresses stayed in Canada (including my current Airbnb booked until 1st week of June-'21).

Q3.-Will IRCC look down on me not signing a long-term house lease and staying in multiple Airbnb sites, despite the supporting receipts showing continuous days,addresses?

Q4.Renouncing PR-Incase the renewal gets delayed or is refused, would renouncing the PR atleast return some of the Federal/CRA taxes paid over 730+ days? How about individual provinces like QC that have their own tax authority (Revenue Quebec),filing requirements?
Would renouncing Federal Skilled Worker also obligate/require agencies like Rev.Quebec to return paid provincial taxes paid by the PR renouncer? Did not receive any Federal, provincial aid/benefits over the 2 years.

Thanks again for reading through the long post and hope you would respond with your inputs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here is a summary of my status on the RO obligation. Apologies for the long post. Hope someone would chime in to answer the highlighted queries.
-First landed in Feb-2017,stayed for 6 days and moved out to Asia(had just taken up a new position before the PR came through).
-Transferred to Canada with previous employer -landed in end-Dec-'19.
Due to my preference to move out of QC (higher taxes, additional QC tax filing,French language obstacle to new jobs) have lived continuously at a few Airbnb sites.
-Total days outside since becoming PR: 1,056
-Total days inside since becoming PR: 746 and counting (should have close to 750 by the time I date & courier the renewal application)

Q1.Have printed out all of the following for the last 2 years: employer payslips,bank checking account & credit card statements, 2020 Federal & QC tax statement of accounts,all Airbnb receipts and ,email from accommodation provider (for employer-provided housing for 1st 2 months:End Dec-'19 to end Feb-'20)
To offset any queries around maintaining RO , would it help to attach all the above supporting documents to the renewal appln?

Q2.Address & travel history: As I stayed outside between early Feb-'17 and end-Dec-'19, do I have to detail all addresses & trips made when outside Canada ?

Address history in Canada: I do plan to detail all addresses stayed in Canada (including my current Airbnb booked until 1st week of June-'21).

Q3.-Will IRCC look down on me not signing a long-term house lease and staying in multiple Airbnb sites, despite the supporting receipts showing continuous days,addresses?

Q4.Renouncing PR-Incase the renewal gets delayed or is refused, would renouncing the PR atleast return some of the Federal/CRA taxes paid over 730+ days? How about individual provinces like QC that have their own tax authority (Revenue Quebec),filing requirements?
Would renouncing Federal Skilled Worker also obligate/require agencies like Rev.Quebec to return paid provincial taxes paid by the PR renouncer? Did not receive any Federal, provincial aid/benefits over the 2 years.

Thanks again for reading through the long post and hope you would respond with your inputs.
The best way to "offset" how long you were outside of Canada and any concerns IRCC may have about whether you meet the residency requirement is to wait longer before submitting your renewal application. That's the best way to reduce your chances of ending up in secondary review. I would wait longer than 746 / 750 days if you can. A few extra months would be good.

I'm not sure about the travel / address question. I'll let someone else answer that.

No, IRCC will not look down on you for not having a long term house lease. This isn't an issue.

No, renouncing PR will not return / refund any taxes (either federal or provincial).

pitra426

Jan 1, 2016
The best way to "offset" how long you were outside of Canada and any concerns IRCC may have about whether you meet the residency requirement is to wait longer before submitting your renewal application. That's the best way to reduce your chances of ending up in secondary review. I would wait longer than 746 / 750 days if you can. A few extra months would be good.

I'm not sure about the travel / address question. I'll let someone else answer that.

No, IRCC will not look down on you for not having a long term house lease. This isn't an issue.

No, renouncing PR will not return / refund any taxes (either federal or provincial).
Appreciate your prompt reply to questions 1,3 and 4.

Given my family circumstances (older parent in home country managing through COVID on their own), I can probably wait for 1 more month (760 days) than the required 730 days.
The current PR card is expiring in the first week of March. Even if one avoids any travel outside Canada until receipt of the renewed card, if one were to accept a new employment offer in the interim, how does one prove one's eligibility to work with an expired PR card? It's difficult to explain to HR folks, particularly those from the US who may be hiring for their Canadian operations. Does IRCC provide any alternate way (to the PR card) or service that could help one prove their eligibility to work in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Appreciate your prompt reply to questions 1,3 and 4.

Given my family circumstances (older parent in home country managing through COVID on their own), I can probably wait for 1 more month (760 days) than the required 730 days.
The current PR card is expiring in the first week of March. Even if one avoids any travel outside Canada until receipt of the renewed card, if one were to accept a new employment offer in the interim, how does one prove one's eligibility to work with an expired PR card? It's difficult to explain to HR folks, particularly those from the US who may be hiring for their Canadian operations. Does IRCC provide any alternate way (to the PR card) or service that could help one prove their eligibility to work in Canada?
Company should only need your SIN, not your PR card.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
If you have a valid SIN (the number), you can legally work in Canada. I've never been asked for any proof of citizenship or PR status from my employer in Canada.

pitra426

Jan 1, 2016
Thanks for your answers. When I transferred internally from outside Canada to my current role, my employer asked for copies of both the PR card and SIN number. I thought it was a standard practice to ask for both. Good to know that employers require only the SIN number.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your answers. When I transferred internally from outside Canada to my current role, my employer asked for copies of both the PR card and SIN number. I thought it was a standard practice to ask for both. Good to know that employers require only the SIN number.
Probably a special circumstance due to you transferring internally within company but changing country of residence.