+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal and citizenship for children out side Canada.

vishaal

May 10, 2012
Hi experts, I need you help. currently I am in Canada but my wife and two children are out side Canada. After 3 months our PR renewal is there. As I am in Canada since last two years, I should be eligible for PR renewal but my wife and kids have not stayed minimum required days. Is there any chance I can get their PR renewed ? Also once I become citizen after 3 years, will my children be eligible for Canadian citizenship though they have stayed out side of Canada ?. Thank you.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi experts, I need you help. currently I am in Canada but my wife and two children are out side Canada. After 3 months our PR renewal is there. As I am in Canada since last two years, I should be eligible for PR renewal but my wife and kids have not stayed minimum required days. Is there any chance I can get their PR renewed ? Also once I become citizen after 3 years, will my children be eligible for Canadian citizenship though they have stayed out side of Canada ?. Thank you.
No. You can't renew their PR cards on the basis of YOUR residency.

If your children don't meet the Residency Obligation, I don't think that they can gain citizenship with you. Your wife is responsible for her own residency.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that PR cards cannot be renewed from outside of Canada so either wife and kids return before any cards expire or if expired already they need to apply for PRTDs if they want to return to Canada.

In applying for PRTDs if they have not met the residency obligation then their PR status could be revoked. Same might happen if they arrive having not met the residency obligation even with valid PR cards.

See in link below guidelines for citizenship for minors when applied for at same time as a parent. Others can correct me but at some point still believe they need to be in Canada possibly at application time even though not necessary to meet the physical presence 3 out of 5 as per the guidelines in link. Obviously they still need to be PRs which is where the generous residency obligation 2 out of 5 comes into play to stay as PRs

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/minors.html

Last edited:
Reactions: vishaal

vishaal

May 10, 2012
No. You can't renew their PR cards on the basis of YOUR residency.

If your children don't meet the Residency Obligation, I don't think that they can gain citizenship with you. Your wife is responsible for her own residency.
Thank you for you response chief.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did your child with Down Syndrome get PR approval? In 2013 they would have been assessed under they previous rules for medical inadmissibilty.