+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal - Address history and travel history

Gokulcanada

Jan 9, 2013
Hello all,

My PR card is going to expire soon, am planning to renewal it. Regarding Address history, I have resided mostly in Canada except few trips to India for vacation and work related travel to US. However, during one vacation in India, i was there for 40 days. So should i have to add that in Address history? other travel's are shorter form, like 1 week or 10 days max.

Also, since i traveled lot (about 80 days in past 5 years), I have lot of entry to add in Travel history. Application says, simply add additional page containing appropriate section and submit with application. My doubt is that, in the first regular application, travel history covers for only 33 days and additional page, i have about 47 days. However total n second page, i cannot edit to change to 80 days. it shows only 47. just leave it like that?
Should i mention anything in additional page that, this is continuation from first page?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
As long as your primary residence was in Canada, you don't need to mention foreign addresses. When you were in India for 40 days, you were still renting a house in Canada, paying utility bills, and so on, correct? Then it's just a longer vacation, but your home is still Canada.

Yes, on the second page just say "travel history continued from the application form" or words to that effect. 80 days in five years isn't a lot of travel, they've seen a lot more.

Reactions: Gokulcanada

Gokulcanada

Jan 9, 2013
As long as your primary residence was in Canada, you don't need to mention foreign addresses. When you were in India for 40 days, you were still renting a house in Canada, paying utility bills, and so on, correct? Then it's just a longer vacation, but your home is still Canada.

Yes, on the second page just say "travel history continued from the application form" or words to that effect. 80 days in five years isn't a lot of travel, they've seen a lot more.
Great. Thanks21Goose. !! Make sense.

One more doubt. Planning to renew PR card for my Wife as well. She has been working and changed job couple times. in between changing jobs, she was homemaker for 10 days or so. Should i have to list homemaker under Work and Educational history?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Great. Thanks21Goose. !! Make sense.

One more doubt. Planning to renew PR card for my Wife as well. She has been working and changed job couple times. in between changing jobs, she was homemaker for 10 days or so. Should i have to list homemaker under Work and Educational history?
Nah, 10 days isn't anything. List it as "Unemployed" under Personal History if you like.

As long as both of you met your RO, and you haven't somehow made yourselves inadmissible (getting a DUI or similar), don't worry too much about small things like a 10 day gap. You're a PR, you have the right to a new card if you meet the RO/admissibility requirements.

Fill out the form as correctly as you can, obviously, but don't worry too much.

Gokulcanada

Jan 9, 2013
Nah, 10 days isn't anything. List it as "Unemployed" under Personal History if you like.

As long as both of you met your RO, and you haven't somehow made yourselves inadmissible (getting a DUI or similar), don't worry too much about small things like a 10 day gap. You're a PR, you have the right to a new card if you meet the RO/admissibility requirements.

Fill out the form as correctly as you can, obviously, but don't worry too much.

Thanks again 21Goose. Sorry one more question regarding your first reply.

My wife was taking longer vacation in India for 8 months. During thst we were paying rent ( lease on both names) utility and etc. So does it fit under personal address history or not?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks again 21Goose. Sorry one more question regarding your first reply.

My wife was taking longer vacation in India for 8 months. During thst we were paying rent ( lease on both names) utility and etc. So does it fit under personal address history or not?
As long as she meets her residency obligation, it doesn't matter. You can put the address since this was a long stay, but it shouldn't matter too much if you left it out. Her primary residence was still in Canada, and she (presumably) met the residency obligation requirement of 730 days in 5 years.

Gokulcanada

Jan 9, 2013
As long as she meets her residency obligation, it doesn't matter. You can put the address since this was a long stay, but it shouldn't matter too much if you left it out. Her primary residence was still in Canada, and she (presumably) met the residency obligation requirement of 730 days in 5 years.
Great. Thanks lot 21Goose. !!! Much appreciated. :)

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014

Hi,

I have few questions regarding renewal of my PR which will be expiring next month. I have really long travel history and I was out 1083 days in last 5 years (Making 742Days inside Canada). After short landing I went back and came back after 2 & half years. During that period I was working in UAE but travelled a lot to Pakistan (May be 20 times), then USA, Europe, middle east making total trips over 50. Now I don't remember the exact dates of travel specially relating to Pakistan visits. Now do I need to put all those addresses where I lived in this period? Indeed I really don't remember those?
Secondly even though I meeting residence obligation shall I apply straight forward now or wait for one more month to decrease Absence days (Or increase present days in Canada).

Thanks..

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

I have few questions regarding renewal of my PR which will be expiring next month. I have really long travel history and I was out 1083 days in last 5 years (Making 742Days inside Canada). After short landing I went back and came back after 2 & half years. During that period I was working in UAE but travelled a lot to Pakistan (May be 20 times), then USA, Europe, middle east making total trips over 50. Now I don't remember the exact dates of travel specially relating to Pakistan visits. Now do I need to put all those addresses where I lived in this period? Indeed I really don't remember those?
Secondly even though I meeting residence obligation shall I apply straight forward now or wait for one more month to decrease Absence days (Or increase present days in Canada).

Thanks..
As for details of travel history while outside Canada, I do not recall to what extent such information is required in a PR card application . . . in citizenship applications the applicant only needs to list dates for the overall time abroad, from a date of exiting Canada to the next date entering Canada, identifying the destination country as such, and then listing additional countries visited in the Reason/Purpose box without specific dates as to those sub-trips. If you follow the instructions for the application, that will work.

Address history is precisely that, a history of primary residences; not an itinerary of places stayed while traveling, but a list of those addresses where one was living. That said, to be complete one might list any address where one was staying or boarding for a full calendar month or more, especially if during that time one has not otherwise maintained his or her primary residence at the address where one was before that stay and returned to after that stay.

Regarding this:
"Secondly even though I meeting residence obligation shall I apply straight forward now or wait for one more month to decrease Absence days (Or increase present days in Canada)."​

You have obviously cut-it-close, very close. It is what it is. Cutting-it-close has risks. Staying in Canada for a good while to come will dramatically reduce the risk of anything happening that results in the loss of PR status. But at this juncture it would be difficult to meaningfully reduce the risk of non-routine processing your PR card application.

In particular, given a mere 742 days presence in Canada, you would have to wait another FIVE months or so, staying in Canada the whole time, to approach not cutting-it-close, to make much of a difference. After all, if you stay in Canada another five months before making the PR card application, it will still be the case that you have spent MOST of your time abroad during the previous five years. If IRCC has any doubts about this or that period of time, this or that week or month or such, obviously the REASONABLE inference is you were likely where you were MOST of the time, as in NOT in Canada.

For purposes of a PR card application, the situation being what it is, what will matter far more is continuing to STAY in Canada. The risk of non-routine processing, and the degree of scrutiny or skepticism that will entail, is already largely written into your situation. The actual scrutiny or skepticism you encounter will depend on many factors, most of those are past changing. BUT it is the extent to which you ARE SETTLED, and the extent to which you APPEAR SETTLED, in Canada, which looms as a particularly influential factor. Waiting just one or two more months is not likely to change the appearance of this by much.

Reactions: Vigilant

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
As for details of travel history while outside Canada, I do not recall to what extent such information is required in a PR card application . . . in citizenship applications the applicant only needs to list dates for the overall time abroad, from a date of exiting Canada to the next date entering Canada, identifying the destination country as such, and then listing additional countries visited in the Reason/Purpose box without specific dates as to those sub-trips. If you follow the instructions for the application, that will work.

Address history is precisely that, a history of primary residences; not an itinerary of places stayed while traveling, but a list of those addresses where one was living. That said, to be complete one might list any address where one was staying or boarding for a full calendar month or more, especially if during that time one has not otherwise maintained his or her primary residence at the address where one was before that stay and returned to after that stay.

Regarding this:
"Secondly even though I meeting residence obligation shall I apply straight forward now or wait for one more month to decrease Absence days (Or increase present days in Canada)."​

You have obviously cut-it-close, very close. It is what it is. Cutting-it-close has risks. Staying in Canada for a good while to come will dramatically reduce the risk of anything happening that results in the loss of PR status. But at this juncture it would be difficult to meaningfully reduce the risk of non-routine processing your PR card application.

In particular, given a mere 742 days presence in Canada, you would have to wait another FIVE months or so, staying in Canada the whole time, to approach not cutting-it-close, to make much of a difference. After all, if you stay in Canada another five months before making the PR card application, it will still be the case that you have spent MOST of your time abroad during the previous five years. If IRCC has any doubts about this or that period of time, this or that week or month or such, obviously the REASONABLE inference is you were likely where you were MOST of the time, as in NOT in Canada.

For purposes of a PR card application, the situation being what it is, what will matter far more is continuing to STAY in Canada. The risk of non-routine processing, and the degree of scrutiny or skepticism that will entail, is already largely written into your situation. The actual scrutiny or skepticism you encounter will depend on many factors, most of those are past changing. BUT it is the extent to which you ARE SETTLED, and the extent to which you APPEAR SETTLED, in Canada, which looms as a particularly influential factor. Waiting just one or two more months is not likely to change the appearance of this by much.
Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply.
And unfortunately I cannot stay more than five months without PR card as I need to travel due to my family situation. So I 'll apply straight forward and see if they put me in second review.
On the other hand what kind of documents shall I attach with the application. Shall I provide them the copies of my passport or the boarding passes will be enough?(I have Majority of these which can prove at least when I left Canada and they can check my entries to calculate the residence days easily). Moreover shall I attach form C as well for tax records?
And this has come so close as my family didn't get their PR cards on time and later we applied PRTD which took more than 2 months (They couldn't alone so I was waiting for their PRTD, I wrote lot of emails to CIC then and explained my situation) Can I attach those as well ?

Thanks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply.
And unfortunately I cannot stay more than five months without PR card as I need to travel due to my family situation. So I 'll apply straight forward and see if they put me in second review.
On the other hand what kind of documents shall I attach with the application. Shall I provide them the copies of my passport or the boarding passes will be enough?(I have Majority of these which can prove at least when I left Canada and they can check my entries to calculate the residence days easily). Moreover shall I attach form C as well for tax records?
And this has come so close as my family didn't get their PR cards on time and later we applied PRTD which took more than 2 months (They couldn't alone so I was waiting for their PRTD, I wrote lot of emails to CIC then and explained my situation) Can I attach those as well ?

Thanks.
Foremost: be aware of the additional risks if you go abroad without a valid PR card, and especially if you need to apply for and obtain a PR Travel Document.

As for what to include with the PR card application, mostly follow the instructions. Including some extra documents MIGHT help, but actually there is very little evidence to indicate it does.

Bureaucracies tend to operate like a robotic assembly-line. Parts not included in the blueprint are more likely to interrupt the process than be appropriately employed. No matter how much better they might make the product.

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
Hello all,

My PR card is going to expire soon, am planning to renewal it. Regarding Address history, I have resided mostly in Canada except few trips to India for vacation and work related travel to US. However, during one vacation in India, i was there for 40 days. So should i have to add that in Address history? other travel's are shorter form, like 1 week or 10 days max.

Also, since i traveled lot (about 80 days in past 5 years), I have lot of entry to add in Travel history. Application says, simply add additional page containing appropriate section and submit with application. My doubt is that, in the first regular application, travel history covers for only 33 days and additional page, i have about 47 days. However total n second page, i cannot edit to change to 80 days. it shows only 47. just leave it like that?
Should i mention anything in additional page that, this is continuation from first page?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I am just curious if were more than 3 years in Canada (As you said you were absent for 80 days only) then why don't you apply for citizenship ? And even if you apply for PR card then how CIC will treat you as they said some where on their website that even if you apply for PR card you may be eligible for citizenship as well.

Thanks.