+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renew - the days before the PR, in last 5 years

seattlecalgary

Aug 1, 2008
Hello All.

My timeline is below:
  • Moved to Canada in - November 2018
  • Get the PR in ( that is also the PR card issue date) - November 2019
  • PR Card expiration date - November 2025.
Question: I will apply for a PR renewal card in May; could I consider the days between May 2018- and November 2018 (the days before PR, but they are in the last 5 years) to reach the 730-day minimum stay in Canada? Or do I need to consider only the days after the PR card issue?

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello All.

My timeline is below:
  • Moved to Canada in - November 2018
  • Get the PR in ( that is also the PR card issue date) - November 2019
  • PR Card expiration date - November 2025.
Question: I will apply for a PR renewal card in May; could I consider the days between May 2018- and November 2018 (the days before PR, but they are in the last 5 years) to reach the 730-day minimum stay in Canada? Or do I need to consider only the days after the PR card issue?

Thanks
You can't apply until nine months before expiration of PR card, i.e. unitl 2025.

No, time before becoming PR does not count towards PR residency obligation. (Unlike for citizenship, which, yes, is weird).

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

seattlecalgary

Aug 1, 2008
You can't apply until nine months before expiration of PR card, i.e. unitl 2025.

No, time before becoming PR does not count towards PR residency obligation. (Unlike for citizenship, which, yes, is weird).
PR card expiration date is November 2024. So I could apply in May 2024.

Could I leave Canada after I apply for the PR card since I have a valid PR card until November?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
PR card expiration date is November 2024.
Ah you wrote 2025 above.

Could I leave Canada after I apply for the PR card since I have a valid PR card until November?
Yes. If your new card comes, the old one is cancelled I think 60 days after, just to keep in mind if you are travelling for a long time, you may have to make arrangements to have the new card received and sent to you.

Reactions: scylla

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
A day trip to the U.S. perhaps? Hard to imagine that being a problem. Apologies in advance for . . . well, here it is . . .

Canada does NOT restrict a PR's international travel. Whether you can travel to a country outside Canada depends on the laws of the destination country, and that country's policies and practices. Generally this depends on what passport the PR has, not on whether they carry a valid PR card. But some countries may have special allowances for Canadian PRs (perhaps the U.S. for example).

OK. I confess. Yes, I am being rather picky. I realize you are not actually asking whether a PR can ("could") leave Canada. My excuse (like many typical forum participants, I have plenty of excuses; moreover, I am not shy about admitting or making them) is there are good reasons for being so picky.

Assuming you are really asking what impact there will be, FOR YOU, if you travel outside Canada after applying for a new PR card, the main reason for being so picky is there is NO simple answer, it DEPENDS, and it depends on a number of things including some contingencies (some things that have not yet occurred). Big one is whether you continue to be in RO compliance while you are outside Canada.

Beyond that, since your query here is more or less a continuation of a query you made last month, and since that discussion revolves around some of the key factors relevant to this query (again, assuming you are not actually asking if you can travel outside Canada, but rather asking about how that might affect YOU, your status in Canada), I will offer more of a response there:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-renew-how-is-the-residency-days-are-calculated.832470/

Reactions: armoured