+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renew after abandoned case

Young0021

Sep 22, 2014
I landed in Canada in June, 2008 and got PR card one month late. Form June, 2008 to January, 2013, I worked outside Canada and returned to Canada nine times during this timeperiod for holiday, 30 days each time. I came back to Canada in January 2013 for a permanent job till now.
In 2012, an immigration consultant company convinced me they have the special way to renew my PR card even without fulfilling residency obligation, and I believed. I asked this company to do my PR card renew in November, 2012. By my PR card expiration in July 2013, the application was not successful. In October 2012, I got a questionnaire on residency days in Canada from CIC and I didn’t reply to it after consultation with my company lawyer. The renew application case was deemed abandoned after 6 months (April, 2014) without reply.
By the end June 2014, I fulfill the 730 days of living in Canada out of the last five year. I am planning to renew my PR cards now. But I am concerning whether my previous abandoned case will have negative impacts on my renew application this time or not? CIC will check my application with the abandoned one?
Please help me on this issue……

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Young0021 said:
I landed in Canada in June, 2008 and got PR card one month late. Form June, 2008 to January, 2013, I worked outside Canada and returned to Canada nine times during this timeperiod for holiday, 30 days each time. I came back to Canada in January 2013 for a permanent job till now.
In 2012, an immigration consultant company convinced me they have the special way to renew my PR card even without fulfilling residency obligation, and I believed. I asked this company to do my PR card renew in November, 2012. By my PR card expiration in July 2013, the application was not successful. In October 2012, I got a questionnaire on residency days in Canada from CIC and I didn't reply to it after consultation with my company lawyer. The renew application case was deemed abandoned after 6 months (April, 2014) without reply.
By the end June 2014, I fulfill the 730 days of living in Canada out of the last five year. I am planning to renew my PR cards now. But I am concerning whether my previous abandoned case will have negative impacts on my renew application this time or not? CIC will check my application with the abandoned one?
Please help me on this issue......
Nothing to worry about if you have already fulfilled your residency obligations and no deportation order has ever been issued to you.

Whats messed up though is that consultant who advised you apply for PR renewal when you hadnt met your residency obligations. He wanted to make money off you and he put you at risk of deportation.

Young0021

Sep 22, 2014
I have another problem. I had a lot of trips in the past five years outside Canada and used two kinds of passports. I entered Canada with Normal Private Passport and exit Canada to other country with the Public Affair Passport, which means the pair stamps of Canada entry and exit to other countries are not on same passport. I don’t know if the pair stamps not on same passport will have negative impacts on my PR card renew? Do I need to include all passport copies in my renew application package? Please help me with issue! Many thanks!

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Young0021 said:
I have another problem. I had a lot of trips in the past five years outside Canada and used two kinds of passports. I entered Canada with Normal Private Passport and exit Canada to other country with the Public Affair Passport, which means the pair stamps of Canada entry and exit to other countries are not on same passport. I don't know if the pair stamps not on same passport will have negative impacts on my PR card renew? Do I need to include all passport copies in my renew application package? Please help me with issue! Many thanks!
No problem with that either, many people use different passports for exit and entry. And yes definitely include both passports and explain in a cover letter.

Young0021

Sep 22, 2014
I checked my two kinds of passports I used in the last five years, I noticed that I had a lot of trips during my absence from Canada, there are many stamps (both in Arabic and Chinese) on both kinds of my passports, most of them are not related the date of the entry Canada and exit Canada. Do I need to translate all of these stamps or just translate the stamps related to date of the entry Canada and exit Canada? Please help!
Many thanks,

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Young0021 said:
I checked my two kinds of passports I used in the last five years, I noticed that I had a lot of trips during my absence from Canada, there are many stamps (both in Arabic and Chinese) on both kinds of my passports, most of them are not related the date of the entry Canada and exit Canada. Do I need to translate all of these stamps or just translate the stamps related to date of the entry Canada and exit Canada? Please help!
Many thanks,
All

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Young0021 said:
Many thanks,
This has RQ issuance written all over it again. I suggest getting a record of entries/exits from the PRC equivalence of CBSA to include in the renewal. Its a good idea to submit with your renewal additional evidence of physical presence in Canada so add your OHIP or other Provincial medical billing records. Translations of all pages for any non english/french stamps/permits/visas as advised is a must. Make sure the translator is certified as per CIC requirements.

Young0021

Sep 22, 2014
CanV and Masfiri, thank you very much!
I am frequent Lufthansa passenger with Senater Status and have detail Miles and More record. The flights from to Canada are Lufthansa, Air Canada and Air China are all recorded in my Senator Miles-And-More card, Can I also include these flight no. and mileage record information as a proof for the days I stay in Canada?
Thank you again!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I just have a question based on your first post.

You said you now have enough days to renew your PR card and to meet the RO. Based on what I am reading, you said you stayed in Canada for roughly 270 days between June 2008 and January 2013. (9 trips x 30 days each). But the problem I see is there is only 546 days between say Jan 1 , 2013 and July 1, 2014 (covering til end of June 2014) which gave you 816 days in the last 5 years at that point. Now that we are in September, how many days have you lost that have moved outside of the 5 year window? You can now only count days back to, as of today, Sept 26, 2009. Make sure you still meet the RO and give yourself plenty of spare days since you travel so much.

Good luck.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Young0021 said:
CanV and Masfiri, thank you very much!
I am frequent Lufthansa passenger with Senater Status and have detail Miles and More record. The flights from to Canada are Lufthansa, Air Canada and Air China are all recorded in my Senator Miles-And-More card, Can I also include these flight no. and mileage record information as a proof for the days I stay in Canada?
Thank you again!
Sure include this but boarding cards trump all.

arshamd

Aug 6, 2013
I landed in Canada in June, 2010. From June, 2010 to March, 2013, I worked outside Canada and returned to Canada March 2013, i applied for PR renewl (March 2015) (660 days spent in canada last 5 year).
In June 2016, I got a questionnaire on residency days in Canada from CIC asking for letter of movment with in 30 days or The application will be abandoned and i have to submit new application.

during last 5 years (july 2011- july 2016) i spent 1000 days inside canada, and if the citizen law will be active in September 2016 i will be eligible for applying But I am concerning whether my previous abandoned case will have negative impacts on my renew application or Citizen application or not? CIC will check my application with the abandoned one?
Please help me on this issue

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
arshamd said:
I landed in Canada in June, 2010. From June, 2010 to March, 2013, I worked outside Canada and returned to Canada March 2013, i applied for PR renewl (March 2015) (660 days spent in canada last 5 year).
In June 2016, I got a questionnaire on residency days in Canada from CIC asking for letter of movment with in 30 days or The application will be abandoned and i have to submit new application.

during last 5 years (july 2011- july 2016) i spent 1000 days inside canada, and if the citizen law will be active in September 2016 i will be eligible for applying But I am concerning whether my previous abandoned case will have negative impacts on my renew application or Citizen application or not? CIC will check my application with the abandoned one?
Please help me on this issue
Not clear when or what the “previous abandoned case” is about.

If this is about a notice you received just this past month, ”June 2016,” better to respond and provide the required information. Even if you have passed the time allowed, get something in. While an abandoned case will generally not have a disqualifying effect, it can have a substantial impact on how IRCC assesses you and your history. The natural inference, after all, is that such an application is abandoned because the PR is not in Canada. This can make it more difficult, perhaps a lot difficult, to prove (which in some ways means persuade) IRCC that you have been in Canada during this time.

Otherwise the key fact is whether you have been issued a Removal or Departure Order.

If yes, you were issued such an Order, then you are no longer a PR (unless the Order was so recent you still have time to appeal).

If not, if there was no Removal or Departure Order (they are the same thing, different names for what are essentially the same thing), your PR status should be OK.

For example, if the reference to a June 2016 questionnaire is a typo, and that was actually June 2015 (which would make sense given the application was made March 2015 and you were not eligible for a new card on the face of the application), and thus it really is an abandoned application, again the key fact is whether you have been issued a Removal or Departure Order, and if not your PR status is OK.

That said, if you have not had any interaction with CBSA or IRCC since the notice/questionnaire and it was in June 2015 (not recent enough to respond to still), you probably want to contact at least the call centre and make an inquiry about your current status. If you are still a PR, and the case was deemed abandoned, your status is OK so long as you currently are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

Nonetheless, of course your history will have a lot of influence on how IRCC approaches any further applications from you. And the details in previous applications are very likely to be closely compared with the details in any application you make now or in the near future.

Assuming no Departure Order and PR status is OK; going forward:

Again, of course a review of your history is part of what is taken into consideration. And of course your history in particular is likely to invite elevated scrutiny and additional inquiries when you apply for a PR card or for citizenship.

As I noted, assuming no Removal Order, your status is OK. The breach of the PR Residency Obligation is cured. So the former breach will not prohibit you from citizenship eligibility. And whether you are eligible for a new PR card will depend on you proving compliance with the PR RO.

But among many questions which a stranger bureaucrat is likely to have is whether you abandoned the PR card application (assuming that is what was deemed and a Removal Order was not issued) because you were outside Canada, inviting many other questions. And it will be your burden to prove to IRCC's satisfaction you have been present in Canada and meet the eligibility requirements (respectively, for a PR card or citizenship).

Calculating eligibility for citizenship:

Beyond the probability you may be required to complete a Residency Questionnaire, your calculations are a bit confusing. You say you have been in Canada 1000 days between July 2011 and July 2016, but suggest that if the changes proposed in Bill C-6 take effect you will be eligible for citizenship in September. That would require a minimum of 1095 days. 1000 days plus all of August and September falls way short of that. Even add in all of July, still falls short of 1095 days within the preceding five years.

Of course there is absolutely no way Bill C-6 will become law by September. Probably will, however, sometime after that (October or November) but there is no guarantee that will happen. Even if it became law in September, the new presence requirements are not at all likely to come into force until sometime in 2017 (the government has explicitly said these would take effect some time later).

Some suggestions:

If the RQ for the PR card really was in June 2016, respond somehow, even if it is to simply make a request for additional time or to ask IRCC to not deem that application abandoned. You want to make a concerted effort to show you are in Canada and settled permanently in Canada and are responsive to communications from IRCC.

Otherwise, be sure to make contact with IRCC to ascertain your current status. What you do from here forward really depends on your PR status being intact.

Anticipate having to provide additional information and, in particular, objective documentation to evidence where you have been living and working and to otherwise prove, by more than just your word for it and more than just showing dates of entry and exit, that you have been in Canada when you say you have. Whether for a PR card application or for citizenship, possibly even at a PoE when trying to return to Canada after traveling abroad.

In your situation, it will be prudent to wait to apply for citizenship until you have a solid margin over and above the minimum presence requirements. Not just a couple weeks, but more like several months.