+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR rejection

alleyjavaid

Jun 10, 2019
Hi, my PR got rejected and the reason given by CIC is invalid. Can I appeal or do I have to make a new profile from scratch.
They have given below reason:
- Police Certificate:
o The Police certificate from SOUTHAFRICA was issued prior to your last residence in that country. The Police certificate was issued on May 16, 2017. Your last residence in this country was May 2018 – April 30, 2019.

I only lived in South Africa as a temporary resident in 2016-17 and I have the police certificate for that. My travels to SA between 2018-2019 were on business visa with one month validity and I don’t need a police certificate for that.

Please help.

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
you can try to appeal if you have new PCC but most likely you need to make a new profile from scratch

Appeal takes a long time and you can't apply EE/PR during that

You should get the PCC for 2018-2019 too... 2017 alone is not sufficient in your case

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi, my PR got rejected and the reason given by CIC is invalid. Can I appeal or do I have to make a new profile from scratch.
- Police Certificate:
o The Police certificate from SOUTHAFRICA was issued prior to your last residence in that country. The Police certificate was issued on May 16, 2017. Your last residence in this country was May 2018 – April 30, 2019.

I only lived in South Africa as a temporary resident in 2016-17 and I have the police certificate for that. My travels to SA between 2018-2019 were on business visa with one month validity and I don’t need a police certificate for that.

Please help.
Note that IRCC can ask you to provide PCC for any reason if they deem it necessary. Are you sure you have not missed an additional documentation request? How many travels to SA did you make and what is the sum total of your time there since May 16 2017?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Wrong.
You failed to provide a proper PCC that covers your stay in South Africa and there's nothing to appeal. You'll have to start over from scratch.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- Police Certificate:

Please help.
You were correctly refused. Your SA PCC needed to include your business travel as well. Agreed with everyone else - you need to apply from scratch. Make sure you get the right PCC this time.

Reactions: Uvr

aamool

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
02-10-2019
- Police Certificate:

Please help.
Sorry to hear that. May I ask how long it took between your submission and the rejection?

My reading of the specific text of the PCC requirements was also that the PCC should be after the last time you stay 6 months or more in the country ("For any other country, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row."). I think the key point in the rejection is that "your last residence in this country was May 2018 - April 30, 2019" - which is a whole year. Do you know how they reached this conclusion? Did you by any chance mix up dates in your address history? Or alternatively, did you do multiple trips in this time period so it looked like you were just doing visa runs?

I think if you have a high enough score (I guess 450++ these days), it may just be worthwhile to start from scratch. However, if you are not certain about it, then you should try and reason out how they reached the conclusion, then try to demonstrate why your PCC was okay.

All the best.

alleyjavaid

Jun 10, 2019
you can try to appeal if you have new PCC but most likely you need to make a new profile from scratch

You should get the PCC for 2018-2019 too... 2017 alone is not sufficient in your case

Thank you for your reply.

My temporary residence (work permit) of South Africa expired in May 2017 and I got my police certificate based on that. I have 5 short travels (15 to 20 days each) to SA between in May 2018 and April 2019 which includes one tourist visa and 4 business visas and there’s no way I can get PCC for these short travels because you have to be in a country as a temporary resident to get the PCC.

alleyjavaid

Jun 10, 2019
Thank you everyone for your reply.

As mentioned earlier, I have the PCC for the time I have spent in South Africa as a temporary resident (work permit). There's no way I can get a PCC for my short travels to SA on business visa for meetings. I have to be a temporary resident of a country to apply for PCC or at least live in that country for 6 months, none applies in this case.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Thank you for your reply.

My temporary residence (work permit) of South Africa expired in May 2017 and I got my police certificate based on that. I have 5 short travels (15 to 20 days each) to SA between in May 2018 and April 2019 which includes one tourist visa and 4 business visas and there’s no way I can get PCC for these short travels because you have to be in a country as a temporary resident to get the PCC.

This is so wrong. I don't agree with anyone who said that your rejection was justified. The only time you need to provide them with updated PCC is when you have spent consecutive 6 months (183 days) in a country. Your stay according to your post is 100 days (20 * 5). You should definitely be able to appeal. I'd recommend hiring a lawyer if you can.

I'd also recommend ordering GCMS notes to better understand what happened with your file.

See section under Police Certificates.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Reactions: azhar1989

alleyjavaid

Jun 10, 2019
Is there any way I could see my cancelled PR application on CIC website? If I try to access my cancelled application it just takes me to page where I have attached all my documents.

alleyjavaid

Jun 10, 2019
This is so wrong. I don't agree with anyone who said that your rejection was justified. The only time you need to provide them with updated PCC is when you have spent consecutive 6 months (183 days) in a country. Your stay according to your post is 100 days (20 * 5). You should definitely be able to appeal. I'd recommend hiring a lawyer if you can.

I'd also recommend ordering GCMS notes to better understand what happened with your file.

See section under Police Certificates.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
Thank you for your advice. How can I request for GCMS notes because the website says "To send a request you must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or an individual or corporation currently in Canada"

alleyjavaid

Jun 10, 2019
If you wish to see the forms you submitted as a part of your e-APR, then check this post...
A Trick to See Your Submitted Forms
Thanks a ton it worked. I wanted to check if I have made any mistake in my application which gave this impression that I need PCC for my shor business visits to South Africa, but all looks fine. Now All I can do is to apply for GCMS notes to understand what went wrong there.

Reactions: skape7

alleyjavaid

Jun 10, 2019
Okay so I have submitted a new application and hope to receive ITA within a week. But I am a bit concerned about how and where should I mention that the reason for my last PR application rejection was invalid. I know I can write it in a word document and attach it as part of additional documents, but just wanted to know if there is a better way to address it in my new PR application ?

Last edited:

Mike@2019

Oct 13, 2019
Okay so I have submitted a new application and hope to receive ITA within a week. But I am a bit concerned about how and where should I mention that the reason for my last PR application rejection was invalid. I know I can write it in a word document and attach it as part of additional documents, but just wanted to know if there is a better way to address it in my new PR application ?
Hello, how did your application go?

I have also received a PCC from South Africa but it doesn't state the dates of my entry and last exit from South Africa, is this normal or should I ask them to state the date when I left South Africa?
Or did CIC ask for your temporary visas in South Africa showing the stamped date of entry and exit?