+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR refused - Marriage Certificate

guidebortoli

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
Today we got a refusal on our PR application.
The reason was that we didn't give the Marriage Certificate.

Me and my wife got married in Vegas. We are not US citizens. I have requested the Official copy of the marriage certificate and the apostille. Those are the documents that we uploaded in the marriage certificate field.

I'm not really sure why it was refused since the marriage is legal in the US and I didn't find anything saying that it's not legal in Canada...

Any insights on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Today we got a refusal on our PR application.
The reason was that we didn't give the Marriage Certificate.

Me and my wife got married in Vegas. We are not US citizens. I have requested the Official copy of the marriage certificate and the apostille. Those are the documents that we uploaded in the marriage certificate field.

I'm not really sure why it was refused since the marriage is legal in the US and I didn't find anything saying that it's not legal in Canada...

Any insights on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.
Can you post the full refusal letter here removing personal details (e.g. names)?

When did you get married? Was it recent? What evidence did you submit to demonstrate your marriage is genuine?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

guidebortoli

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
When did you apply as married and when did you get married?
I've married on January 4th, 2020....updated my profile with my wife as married after we got married. Received the ITA with the profile already updated to married (ITA of March 26th, if I'm not wrong). Documents sent on 10th of May 2020, and AOR the same day.

guidebortoli

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
I've asked for GCMS notes under Privacy Act...
Maybe I'll get more information on why they didn't accept my marriage certificate and apostille.

pathan19

Star Member
Mar 16, 2020
I am also in the same boat.
My first application got rejected because I just submitted my marriage affidavit.
Is there anyone from India who have got the PR through Urdu Nikah nama and along with the english translation done from the licensed translator from Canada?.

guidebortoli

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
Just an update: I've got the GCMS notes today, and honestly there is no reasonable reason for the refusal...
As you can see in the link below I've extracted the part where It says about the Other Reason Description: USA Marriage cert.
So basically they did not accept my marriage certificate from the US, which goes against the rules for the Marriage Certificate in the EE where it stated that the marriage should be valid where it was taken, and must be valid in Canada (US marriages are valid in Canada).

Unless there is a hidden rule where it says that "If you married in another country that it is not your citizenship country, you should validate you marriage in your country before applying", which again I don't think it is the case...

GCMS Notes

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Just an update: I've got the GCMS notes today, and honestly there is no reasonable reason for the refusal...
As you can see in the link below I've extracted the part where It says about the Other Reason Description: USA Marriage cert.
So basically they did not accept my marriage certificate from the US, which goes against the rules for the Marriage Certificate in the EE where it stated that the marriage should be valid where it was taken, and must be valid in Canada (US marriages are valid in Canada).

Unless there is a hidden rule where it says that "If you married in another country that it is not your citizenship country, you should validate you marriage in your country before applying", which again I don't think it is the case...

GCMS Notes
They're not rejecting the certificate in and of itself, they're saying you didn't include it. Are you confident it was uploaded in the application? The actual marriage certificate?

guidebortoli

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
They're not rejecting the certificate in and of itself, they're saying you didn't include it. Are you confident it was uploaded in the application? The actual marriage certificate?

Absolutely. Also, the fact that in the Other Reason Description he says "USA Marriage cert." means that the file was there (because he could not know it was a USA certificate without opening the file).

As you can see here the file was uploaded and received.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Absolutely. Also, the fact that in the Other Reason Description he says "USA Marriage cert." means that the file was there (because he could not know it was a USA certificate without opening the file).

As you can see here the file was uploaded and received.
No, the other reason description means that it was not provided - that's what it says. It doesn't say "not acceptable" or "not registered in home country," and it definitely doesn't say "not legally recognized."

Reactions: MAIL2SUNDAREEE

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
That file list from EAIMEL just identifies the drop-down selection or file field you made. "Marriage Certificate / License" is the name of the field you uploaded a file to, it is not a summary description entered by a human

guidebortoli

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
No, the other reason description means that it was not provided - that's what it says. It doesn't say "not acceptable" or "not registered in home country," and it definitely doesn't say "not legally recognized."
What I am saying is that: How the official knows it was a marriage certificate from US if the file wasn't sent? Of course the file and the certificate were sent!
You are asking me if I have sent the file with the marriage certificate. Of course I sent, otherwise how the official would know that the certificate was from the US? And in case you are wondering what I've sent, it was the official marriage certificate, with official stamp and seal, signatures, in an anti-fraud paper, clearly saying Marriage Certificate. It's was not an affidavit, was a marriage certificate.

guidebortoli

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
That file list from EAIMEL just identifies the drop-down selection or file field you made. "Marriage Certificate / License" is the name of the field you uploaded a file to, it is not a summary description entered by a human

There's nothing else in the ATIP stating anything about the refusal.
Not even at the very bottom of the file where the NOTES are written. Except for the images already shared..