+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR refused - can I still travel on bridging visa?

Vancity3393

Jan 29, 2020
Have a very particular question - if on a bridging visa and PR is refused, can you still travel outside of Canada on the bridging visa? I know you can continue to work, but I'm just wondering what happens if you leave the country and then try to re-enter?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Have a very particular question - if on a bridging visa and PR is refused, can you still travel outside of Canada on the bridging visa? I know you can continue to work, but I'm just wondering what happens if you leave the country and then try to re-enter?
You need a valid TRV or eTA to re-enter

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Yes that's fine, but it's more will I have an issue because of my PR being refused? My bridging visa will still be vaild.
In theory, you can remain in Canada before the permit expired

However, the border officer may see your note about the refuse application and deny entry.d

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
The fact that your visa is valid, that will only get you as far as the airport. A visa does not warranty entry.

If I'm not mistaken, since your application was already refused you should not be working at all anymore.

Specially if you are planning on applying again and eventually getting a PR you could be found to have overstayed and worked out of a permit.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
It is just like any other work permit/temporary residence permit - you are authorized to live and work in Canada until the date the work permit expires, and no one is a prisoner of Canada. While it is theoretically possible for you to be refused on entry (which is always true on any work permit), I think that would be unlikely unless you have given cause for IRCC to believe you will overstay.

You can stay and work in Canada until it expires, or you can obtain new authorization (e.g. new work permit, re-apply for PR and apply for new BOWP, etc.).

Vancity3393

Jan 29, 2020
The fact that your visa is valid, that will only get you as far as the airport. A visa does not warranty entry.

If I'm not mistaken, since your application was already refused you should not be working at all anymore.

Specially if you are planning on applying again and eventually getting a PR you could be found to have overstayed and worked out of a permit.
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who's reading) this is incorrect. You can continue to work until your bridging visa expires as it is a valid work permit. I already knew that bit.

Vancity3393

Jan 29, 2020
It is just like any other work permit/temporary residence permit - you are authorized to live and work in Canada until the date the work permit expires, and no one is a prisoner of Canada. While it is theoretically possible for you to be refused on entry (which is always true on any work permit), I think that would be unlikely unless you have given cause for IRCC to believe you will overstay.

You can stay and work in Canada until it expires, or you can obtain new authorization (e.g. new work permit, re-apply for PR and apply for new BOWP, etc.).
Yes, this seems to be immigrations stance on it too (I had given them a ring). I knew it was still a valid work permit, just wasn't sure how closely linked it was to my old PR application. Thanks for your answer though, this is what immigration also said :)

Reactions: jes_ON

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who's reading) this is incorrect. You can continue to work until your bridging visa expires as it is a valid work permit. I already knew that bit.
I would say fortunately then.

Thanks for clarifying this, that is why I said I wasn't sure about that part.