+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Portal Invitation and absence from Canada

Anvil_isopod

Jan 28, 2023
Hi All,

My spouse has received her Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) number, and her background check status is marked as complete on the PR portal. However, it has been about two weeks, and we haven't received the portal invitation.

She has been in the country since February 23, but after receiving her Open Work Permit (OWP) in October, she decided to visit her family due to a family emergency. Given her absence, I'm unsure about the implications of not receiving the PR portal invitation yet.

I'm considering whether it's better to strategically wait for the PR portal invite email since, as I understand, she needs to be in Canada to confirm once we get the invitation. Could you clarify how long we typically have to reply to the PR portal invite email and if there's a specific deadline?

Additionally, are there any general issues with her being away for a couple of months considering she has an Inland application? We initially intended to wait for her PR application to proceed before she went back home, but the application processing took absolute ages. Currently, she holds an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) and the OWP.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

My spouse has received her Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) number, and her background check status is marked as complete on the PR portal. However, it has been about two weeks, and we haven't received the portal invitation.

She has been in the country since February 23, but after receiving her Open Work Permit (OWP) in October, she decided to visit her family due to a family emergency. Given her absence, I'm unsure about the implications of not receiving the PR portal invitation yet.

I'm considering whether it's better to strategically wait for the PR portal invite email since, as I understand, she needs to be in Canada to confirm once we get the invitation. Could you clarify how long we typically have to reply to the PR portal invite email and if there's a specific deadline?

Additionally, are there any general issues with her being away for a couple of months considering she has an Inland application? We initially intended to wait for her PR application to proceed before she went back home, but the application processing took absolute ages. Currently, she holds an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) and the OWP.

Thank you.
The inland spousal sponsorship process requires both the applicant and sponsor to be cohabitating in Canada. Generally being away a few weeks is fine. Being away as long as your wife has means she technically does not meet the requirements of the program (assuming I've understood your post correctly and she has been outside of Canada now for multiple months). However it's a toss up whether IRCC will notice this / will do anything about it. Given where you are in the process, you are likely safe. But obviously not guaranteed until you're really at the end of the process.

Anvil_isopod

Jan 28, 2023
Thank you both for your replies.

We are cohabiting in Canada since February and we have left everything in the UK and have permanently moved to Canada - no doubts about that.

It has actually been few weeks since she went(she went mid October). She was supposed to be back by now but it's a medical emergency so she might be a few weeks more - we are still deciding. The thing is technically there is no clear guidance on how long you can be outside of Canada in such situation while your PR application is in progress.

While we've received the COPR number valid until the end of May on the PR portal since 3-Nov, we haven't received any email from IRCC with portal invite etc.
I'm contemplating whether to strategically wait for the PR portal invite email (considering she needs to be in Canada when we get it) or if I should proactively contact IRCC to request the portal email, and then send web inquiry explaining the medical emergency. (assuming there is no strict deadline to reply to this portal invite email)

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
Thank you both for your replies.

We are cohabiting in Canada since February and we have left everything in the UK and have permanently moved to Canada - no doubts about that.

It has actually been few weeks since she went(she went mid October). She was supposed to be back by now but it's a medical emergency so she might be a few weeks more - we are still deciding. The thing is technically there is no clear guidance on how long you can be outside of Canada in such situation while your PR application is in progress.

While we've received the COPR number valid until the end of May on the PR portal since 3-Nov, we haven't received any email from IRCC with portal invite etc.
I'm contemplating whether to strategically wait for the PR portal invite email (considering she needs to be in Canada when we get it) or if I should proactively contact IRCC to request the portal email, and then send web inquiry explaining the medical emergency. (assuming there is no strict deadline to reply to this portal invite email)
You should let IRCC know the applicant is not in Canada. You don't want them to learn any other way, because sometimes they will and it may not work out well.
Once they know your spouse returns soon, the process will only be paused until your spouse returns. This happened to a relative of mine recently, who got portal invite 2, but they asked him to confirm if his wife was in Canada.

Anvil_isopod

Jan 28, 2023
You should let IRCC know the applicant is not in Canada. You don't want them to learn any other way, because sometimes they will and it may not work out well.
Once they know your spouse returns soon, the process will only be paused until your spouse returns. This happened to a relative of mine recently, who got portal invite 2, but they asked him to confirm if his wife was in Canada.
Thank you. My portal invite email has been stuck for a month now. Perhaps it is best to call IRCC to request portal invite and tell them about the emergency situation that my wife will be away for 2-3 weeks more.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. My portal invite email has been stuck for a month now. Perhaps it is best to call IRCC to request portal invite and tell them about the emergency situation that my wife will be away for 2-3 weeks more.
Don’t call. The customer service agents aren’t very knowledgeable and have minimal control. They aren’t VOs who are really who you need to inform that your spouse is out of Canada. Send in a webform with proof of medical emergency like hospital records. Including proof of return ticket would be a good idea. In general absences of 2-3 week seem to be overlooked. Since inland applications were a smaller fraction of applications until recently and typically involved longterm residents of Canada how much time couples are allowed to live separately is unclear. Before TRVs for spouses were more easy to obtain, if there was any doubt there may be a period of separation couples were advised to apply Outland even if they were in Canada.

Reactions: Anvil_isopod

Anvil_isopod

Jan 28, 2023
Don’t call. The customer service agents aren’t very knowledgeable and have minimal control. They aren’t VOs who are really who you need to inform that your spouse is out of Canada. Send in a webform with proof of medical emergency like hospital records. Including proof of return ticket would be a good idea. In general absences of 2-3 week seem to be overlooked. Since inland applications were a smaller fraction of applications until recently and typically involved longterm residents of Canada how much time couples are allowed to live separately is unclear. Before TRVs for spouses were more easy to obtain, if there was any doubt there may be a period of separation couples were advised to apply Outland even if they were in Canada.
Thank you, and absolutely.
I agree absence of 2-3 weeks If not frequency should be overlooked as there is no restriction that inland spouse applicant can't travel abroad for vacation or to see family.

For my spouse, it's her 1st trip in the whole year to see family since we made application in February and it was only supposed to be 2-3 weeks but now needs to be longer due to family medical emergency. We moved from UK earlier this year and left everything behind including our long term jobs, so there is no making mistake that we are not honest about our intentions.

Even though we bring her back to Canada just for E-landing, looking at the processing delays and timelines at IRCC being complete mess right now, I don't think it would be possible to get her ECOPR within 7-8 days and for her to fly back out.

I know it's probably not relevant but she got her OWP based on inland spouse application just before she went in October.

Tricky situation, I was hoping someone will be able to share any similar experience and what was IRCC reaction to it.

vky0123

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
Hi All,

Thank you.
Hi, did you guys apply work permit under the new spousal stream? After how long she got the work permit? I applied on August 2nd still no response.

vky0123

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
Thank you, and absolutely.
I agree absence of 2-3 weeks If not frequency should be overlooked as there is no restriction that inland spouse applicant can't travel abroad for vacation or to see family.

For my spouse, it's her 1st trip in the whole year to see family since we made application in February and it was only supposed to be 2-3 weeks but now needs to be longer due to family medical emergency. We moved from UK earlier this year and left everything behind including our long term jobs, so there is no making mistake that we are not honest about our intentions.

Even though we bring her back to Canada just for E-landing, looking at the processing delays and timelines at IRCC being complete mess right now, I don't think it would be possible to get her ECOPR within 7-8 days and for her to fly back out.

I know it's probably not relevant but she got her OWP based on inland spouse application just before she went in October.

Tricky situation, I was hoping someone will be able to share any similar experience and what was IRCC reaction to it.
We got copr details in the portal on October 6th but no COPR yet. IRCC is going so slow

Anvil_isopod

Jan 28, 2023
We got copr details in the portal on October 6th but no COPR yet. IRCC is going so slow
Absolutely, that is what is adding to our problem. In an ideal world we should have had everything by now. Is like no one is working at IRCC at all and it's putting everyone's life on hold waiting for them to do their job. I get about it being a privilege and stuff.

I also got COPR on portal on 3rd November but no portal invite email.

Absolute conundrum

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Took us 144 days to get OWP.
This is an incredibly rare situation. You need to send in a webform indicating that she is abroad and will remain abroad. You can’t just bring her back to Canada for landing because she will be asked to confirm that she is in Canada and then sometime in the next month she will get virtual landing. If she indicates she is in Canada but is in the UK but then receives virtual landing by email she will be stuck abroad and will need to apply for a PRTD to get back to Canada until she gets her PR card which can take months. Given that she is required to update her file, that she may need to request stamping from the UK, that she has been abroad for 6+ weeks, etc. you should be informing IRCC that she is abroad with proof of why.