+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Portal Invitation and absence from Canada

Justme221

May 15, 2023
You have to be patient you will get the approval letter on Monday or Tuesday in your gckey. Then it depends on where you live you should receive it soon 1 to 2 weeks

Anvil_isopod

Jan 28, 2023
So we sent letter to IRCC as advised that my common-law will be out of canada for a couple of months due to family emergency.

Unfortunately, straightaway without considering at all the current extra-ordinary situation and the proof like hospital letter etc. that we attached. IRCC pulled away COPR and simply flagged that they have concerns that we may not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada and not satisfied that you are cohabiting in Canada with your sponsor. They didn't comment anything on the extra ordinary circusmstance we are in. Like I mentioned earlier because we left everything in the UK and have moved to Canada, we have genuine intention to live in Canada.
Unfortunately, since then my common-law's father passed away and she had to stay extra days for the funeral and rites. She will be back to Canada by end of this month.

Unfortunately, this has put us in lot of trouble. IRCC says that Its now on us to satisfy me that you are a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. If anyone can advise based on their experience how we can overcome this will be appreciated.

I am collecting the proof like her Father's death certificate, Our photos from last year in Canada from different places, French lesson she has been taking, music lessons in person she has been taking in person etc.

poporopos

Sep 22, 2021
Unfortunately, this has put us in lot of trouble. IRCC says that Its now on us to satisfy me that you are a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. If anyone can advise based on their experience how we can overcome this will be appreciated.
I found this thread because my wife has portal invite and I'm trying to figure out how long it will take.

As for your situation, I'm sorry to hear this. You should get some professional advice, but be prepared to start the PR process over again. The cohabitating rule with common-law is actually part of the immigration law. It is a hard requirement. The agent cannot take into account the medical emergencies and doctor's notes because that will not change that fact that you were not physically together in Canada...which is the law.

My wife and I knew about all of this before starting which is why we chose to get married quickly to start the process and understood we most likely may not be able to leave Canada during this time no matter what is happening in our home countries. Either that or forfeit. It is a hard and fast rule on the living together in Canada.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I found this thread because my wife has portal invite and I'm trying to figure out how long it will take.

As for your situation, I'm sorry to hear this. You should get some professional advice, but be prepared to start the PR process over again. The cohabitating rule with common-law is actually part of the immigration law. It is a hard requirement. The agent cannot take into account the medical emergencies and doctor's notes because that will not change that fact that you were not physically together in Canada...which is the law.

My wife and I knew about all of this before starting which is why we chose to get married quickly to start the process and understood we most likely may not be able to leave Canada during this time no matter what is happening in our home countries. Either that or forfeit. It is a hard and fast rule on the living together in Canada.
It's actually not because of common law. It's because they applied via inland where sponsor and PA have to live together inside Canada. Married or common law doesn't make a difference in this case.

Reactions: armoured

girlmedic

Jan 16, 2024
Hi Everyone,
I am also in a similar situation. I applied for family sponsored PR for spouse and received my Portal Invitation email yesterday. This was an inland application. I have been living with my husband in Canada up until now.
I am a medical graduate and wanted to start my career in Canada. For that I am supposed to have done the internship first, so I came back to my country to do my country’s exam.
I will be able to go back in May only, once my exam is done.
I can go now if I could do a soft landing quickly and come back after receiving the COPR. I can’t go now if it would take too much time.

Can anyone help me with this situation? I am supposed to reply within 6 days.
Will it affect the PR if I go back to Canada in May only?
Will there be an issue if I lie that I am in Canada?
How long does a CoPR take to come?

Thank You