+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR - open work permit processing time

RRO

Aug 26, 2016
Hello, I`m an applicant (currently on visitor visa) for PR sponsored by my common-law partner which is Canadian citizen. We have applied IN Canada for my PR and in the same time for open work permit more then 4 months ago. So far my partner received a notification that CIC started to process her sponsoring application two months ago and me just notification that they received my PR application and no feedback about owp app. Recently I have received a job offer which would let me continue my career as a mechanical engineering professional, but I`m still missing the permit.
Is there any way I can urge my wp processing?
Is the first stage (sponsor evaluation) a condition for getting my work permit?
Would it help, from the time shortening point of view, to apply for wp again online?

thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you cannot request urgent processing.
No - first stage approval isn't a condition for getting your open work permit approved. As long as you were in status in Canada when you submitted the sponsorship application and you submitted the open work permit along with the sponsorship application (i.e. in the same application package), your work permit should be approved at around the four month mark. Did you submit the OWP application in the same package / together with the sponsorship application?
No - submitting an online application won't help.

RRO

Aug 26, 2016
Thank you very much for the answers.
Yes I sent the OWP application in the same envelope with PR one. What makes me anxious is that haven't received any notification that my OWP app. was received, or in process, or whatever so I don't have any OWP app. number to be able to link it to my account and be able to check a status. In other words I sent something what I have no feedback about, four months are gone and my employer is waiting nervously for the paper.
So I guess I need to be patient.
Thank you

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
you can try calling CIC to see if they can give you a status on your OWP. some people have been successful in doing this.

RRO

Aug 26, 2016
honestly I am trying, but getting someone to speak with there is almost mission impossible

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
RRO said:
honestly I am trying, but getting someone to speak with there is almost mission impossible
My little secret: try calling now (usually 12-2 is not terrible for load through the call centre), use the menu options to get to the 'Sponsor a spouse ...', then notify the automated attendant you want to speak to a representative. Then you can tell them your story..

RRO

Aug 26, 2016
thank you for your encouragement, I'll keep trying..."We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls and are unable to transfer you to an agent"

RRO

Aug 26, 2016
So 12th call was a success, then 17 mnts waiting and finally I have confirmed, that I should receive my permit exactly after 4 months from application has been received. And the fact that cic doesn't send any notification about processing owp is normal.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017

mnimmigrant2016

May 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RRO said:
So 12th call was a success, then 17 mnts waiting and finally I have confirmed, that I should receive my permit exactly after 4 months from application has been received. And the fact that cic doesn't send any notification about processing owp is normal.
RRO, you should join the 2016 inland applicants forum. There is a lot of helpful information here. - http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-inland-applications-2016-timeline-and-updates-t389295.0.html

RRO

Aug 26, 2016
Finally got my OWP!!!

Am I right assuming that:
As a holder of OWP I can legally stay in Canada, leave and re-enter without temporary resident visa, since I am visa-exempt nationality with valid eTA?
Of course only as long as OWP and eTA valid (respectively till I'll hopefully receive my PR)
Thank you