+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Obligations not met - but want to visit Canada

nadeem82

Jul 24, 2009
I have made a post here earlier about my situation. I could not meet my PR obligations but my PR card is still valid till mid-July 2012.

Now I want to visit Canada for some urgent reason. The earlier advice I got was I could still enter with my PR Card (despite not meeting PR Obligations). However, after reading a few posts on this forum it seems like it is kind of a gamble - i.e. if for some reason at the border they suspect that I will not be able to meet PR Obligations, they might not let me in.

So, I want to play on the side of caution and get a Canadian Visitor Visa instead and travel as a visitor.

Is it possible to get a Canadian Visitor Visa while still having a Valid PR Card (but unmet PR Obligations)?

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would just travel with the PR card and not complicate matters for myself by applying for a visitors visa.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not get a visitor visa while you are still a PR and they can not refuse to let you in with a valid PR card. If the question comes up that you have not met the residency requirements, you can talk about your options which might be giving up your PR and entering as a visitor or entering as a PR intending to appeal for your status in which case they will give you 30 days to do that.