+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligations and Family sponsorship

francois

May 18, 2011
Dear all,

My PR card will be expired after 6 months, i have only lived in Canada during the last 4.5 years, 220 days. I will be moving to be in Canada next month, so by the time my PR card expired i will be making only 400 days.

- Can I during this 6 months apply to sponsor my family ?

I have told on here, that I can stay in Canada until i make the 730 days and apply to renew my PR card , but in case I apply to sponsor my family before this time, will they check on my residency obligations and reject my application for sponsorship and revoke my PR card ?

many thanks

bi123

Dec 19, 2010
Hello Francois.

I hope some senior members (Leon or some others) on this forum can answer your question. I am also considering to move to Canada in the next 6 months. However, I will be risking the same as you If I sponsor my family during the first year in Canada. If I wait to renew my PR-card It can take another 2 years to sponsor my family, which off course is not any favourable situation for me.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard of someone in a similar situation, that is living in Canada and not meeting the residency requirements having sponsored a member of their family so I assume they do not check or at least in that case they didn't but no guarantees.