+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligation questions

jamaica

May 4, 2014
Hi there,

I became PR lately - June 2014 and still waiting for my card. In the meantime I received job offer letter from New Zealand with WP for a year and decided to take it. My question is, can I go there for a full year to work and then come back to Canada? I heard that you have to be in Canada at least 3 years out of 5 to have your PR extension, is that right? Is it hard/long to get a PR extension??

What if I will decide to stay in New Zealand for 3+ years and after that decide to go back to Canada. Do I have to go through the PR process again??

All input will be appreciated!

Jamaica.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The PR obligation is 2 out of every 5 years in Canada. If you say longer than three years outside of Canada it's possible you will be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement when you re-enter Canada. If you are reported to you will have to attend a hearing to argue why you should be able to retain your PR status (working outside of Canada is not accepted as a valid reason for failing to meet the residency obligation). If you are not successful at the hearing, your PR status will be revoked and you'll be asked to leave Canada. You would then have to apply again from scratch if you want to be a PR again.

singhabhishek251

Jun 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The wise part it take the job opportunity and work for 2 years and come back, I am sure you will get job here in Canada as well with your experience outside Canada. If, things can be done easily, then why to take risk.