+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligation not met plz help

zamis

Dec 16, 2009
i stayed in my home country and did not return for 4 years 10 months and now landed in canada as a PR with valid PR card. So can u all please suggest me whether i should apply for renewal now or should I wait and meet the 2 year criteria and apply for renewal after i stay for 2 years continuously. :(

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to wait until you have 2 years in Canada. If you apply for a PR card renewal with less than 2 years in Canada during the last 5 years you will most likely lose your PR.

zamis said:
i stayed in my home country and did not return for 4 years 10 months and now landed in canada as a PR with valid PR card. So can u all please suggest me whether i should apply for renewal now or should I wait and meet the 2 year criteria and apply for renewal after i stay for 2 years continuously. :(

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How did you come in? Road or Airport? Did they question you at the point of entry about meeting residency obligation?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I assume you already have your SIN since 5 years ago, if you didn't, take care of that now and apply for your health care and drivers license as well before your PR card expires. Then sit tight for 2 years and wait until you meet the residency requirements again.

You will not be able to travel outside Canada because you will not be able to come back without a PR card but you can work and do everything else. Your PR status will not be questioned as long as you stay in Canada unless you apply to renew your card. Once you have your 2 years, you can apply to renew your card. They can not go further back than the 5 years before you apply. As you have 2 out of 5 years in Canada when you apply to renew, they will have to renew. If you apply to renew now, you will lose your PR.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
will not there be any problem because of PR card expiry date?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, there are no problems. There is no requirement to have a valid PR card, as long as you stay inside Canada.

Suin said:
will not there be any problem because of PR card expiry date?

chris15

Dec 17, 2009
Hello
My husband and I recently became PR; I got my card on time and my husband didn´t, he had to travel back to native country for emergency; 4 months now and we did not receive his PR card in the mail.
He will start the process to get a travel document to come back to Canada... I´ve heard this is a long process and that not everybody gets it... any cases like this? advice on how to proceed?
If he gets back in Canada, will he have to apply again to get a PR card?

zamis

Dec 16, 2009
I entered canada by air and during the POE they asked me y i was away from Canada so gave my personal reasons and then it has been entered in my passport as away.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi
chris15 said:
Hello
My husband and I recently became PR; I got my card on time and my husband didn´t, he had to travel back to native country for emergency; 4 months now and we did not receive his PR card in the mail.
He will start the process to get a travel document to come back to Canada... I´ve heard this is a long process and that not everybody gets it... any cases like this? advice on how to proceed?
If he gets back in Canada, will he have to apply again to get a PR card?

As he has only been outside Canada for 4 months, he hasn't lost his PR status, so his travel document issuance will be pretty quick.

PMM

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
zamis said:
I entered canada by air and during the POE they asked me y i was away from Canada so gave my personal reasons and then it has been entered in my passport as away.
Dude ! you are lucky but what has been entered in your passport ?