+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligation not met, Card still valid,

Suds

Oct 30, 2009
I have PR card valid till Jan 2012. I am coming to canada after 3 and half years.

1.will they let me IN?
2.Any challenges at POE?
3. Any suggestions/advises what to answer...

I visited canada in 2006 and did all formalities and left by drive to USA thru car. They might not have any records when did i leave..can i say i stayed for 6 months and then leaved some thing like that...becos i might get some 6 months time...

now i have 18 months left for my PR card expires.

Please help me and share ur exp ..

dmj54

Jan 29, 2013
Voluntary relenquishing of PR status and applying for TRV

I became PR Canada in 2007 with my family but unable to comply residency requirements and my PR card expired in April 2010.My family became citizen of Canada and they are residing there.I wish to visit them so I inquired from UAE embassy of Canada and they suggested 3 options : PRTD,Voluntary relenquishing PR status if residency met and residency not met. They sent me the forms to fill and sign alongwith an entry/exit form and a voluntary waiver of appeal as well .I went for voluntary relenq form with residency not met and sent by courier along with PR card,Health Card,SIN and Landing document.Now lts almost 4 months I didn't have any reply or any decisions from CIC.I am very much puzzled whether to apply for TRV visitor visa or to wait till any letter comes from them.Any expert advise in this regard highly appreciated.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suds said:
I have PR card valid till Jan 2012. I am coming to canada after 3 and half years.

1.will they let me IN?
2.Any challenges at POE?
3. Any suggestions/advises what to answer...

I visited canada in 2006 and did all formalities and left by drive to USA thru car. They might not have any records when did i leave..can i say i stayed for 6 months and then leaved some thing like that...becos i might get some 6 months time...

now i have 18 months left for my PR card expires.

Please help me and share ur exp ..
Your PR Card expiry dates don't make sense but anyhow:

1. Yes once CBSA agent confirms you are a PR by checking your PR Card and cross reference with their databases he/she will admit you.

2. Yes you are in breach of the Residence Obligation so the CBSA agent can report you under Sec 44 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is the start of formal proceedings to revoke your PR. You have 30 days to appeal but in your case unless you have Humanitarian and Compassionate reasons e.g you were undergoing cancer treatment then its no dice.

3. Yes/No answers. However you are obliged to tell the truth so if they ask how long you've been gone and you say 6 months and they decide to grill you on this e.g. which route do you use to get to work every morning or tell me 2 landmarks you pass by on your way to the mall in downtown TO from your claimed address then you just added to your problems. This is misrepresentation and is another ground for being inadmissible.

Anectodal evidence indicates that most people in your situation who turn up at a Port of Entry get a severe lecture but get let in without being reported especially at land borders. Say your prayers for this to happen for you. If this happens sit tight in Canada for 730 days without renewing your PR.

dubai321

Oct 1, 2010
Hi all,
I am not sure about other cases and might be I was lucky.
I came back Vancouver after 3 years living outside.
I got in without any questions because I got my passport scanned through a machine. there is no officer there to ask any questions.
My question is that does it happen for everyone who hold a passport that is qualified to be scanned to get it or i got a lucky day.
my passport is from England but I am Indian.
thank you,

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dubai321 said:
Hi all,
I am not sure about other cases and might be I was lucky.
I came back Vancouver after 3 years living outside.
I got in without any questions because I got my passport scanned through a machine. there is no officer there to ask any questions.
My question is that does it happen for everyone who hold a passport that is qualified to be scanned to get it or i got a lucky day.
my passport is from England but I am Indian.
thank you,
This is one advantage visitor visa exempt nationals have of getting on board a flight without a Residence Obligation review of a TD application and turning up at an airport with an e-gate type entry system....hang tight in Canada for 2 years without having any dealings with CIC...no PR Card renewal, no sponsorship, ideally no travel.

dubai321

Oct 1, 2010
Hi Msafiri,
Please help explain more details. Does it mean that I can't renewal my PR card when it expired if I got in through E Gate.
Thank you so much