+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Obligation met by dependent not by Primary applicant.

SG057

Jun 22, 2018
Hi All,

I have a question regarding PR Obligation of to be physically present 2 Years out of 5 in canada.

One of my friend has a situation where he is primary applicant. And in next 5 years only his spouse ( Dependent) can stay in canada meet resident obligation but he may not. Mostly his reason won't fall under any humanitarian reasons for officers to consider.

Wondering what happens to their status after 5 year --- assuming dependent met required conditions and he does not.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Then the next time he tries to enter Canada, he may be reported (or may not) and his PR may (or may not) be revoked after an opportunity to appeal.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

I have a question regarding PR Obligation of to be physically present 2 Years out of 5 in canada.

One of my friend has a situation where he is primary applicant. And in next 5 years only his spouse ( Dependent) can stay in canada meet resident obligation but he may not. Mostly his reason won't fall under any humanitarian reasons for officers to consider.

Wondering what happens to their status after 5 year --- assuming dependent met required conditions and he does not.
Their PR status is independent. The spouse who meets the RO won't have any issues. The other spouse may end up reported for failing to meet the RO and lose their PR status.

Reactions: astraldust

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

Your friend can get reported at any point after 3 years when he stops being compliant with his RO.