+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Obligation into my 4th year now...

huskie

Mar 19, 2009
I landed in Canada in Oct,2005 and left for US, I received my PR cards which are valid till 2010. I have not been back to Canada since then, my intent was to go back in 2007 and settle down.But, unfortunately I was diagonised with Cancer and was treated here in US. I am in remission but under monitoring for next 3 years. I am able to pay for my treatment through my employment insurance here, hence I could not go back.
I do want to keep the PR and eventually get the citizenship, any advice in this regard would be appreciated. I do not have an address established since 2006 in Canada.

TIA

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have actually already lost your PR status for not meeting the residency requirements. If you go back before your PR card expires, it's possible that you get in undetected. If you do, you can stay for 2 years without leaving Canada and then apply to renew your PR card. You do realize that Canada also had a health care system and they would also have covered your treatment here? If you move to AB, MB or SK, you are covered for healthcare from day one if you are moving from another country.

If you try to get in and they catch you and require you to prove your time in Canada or if you let your PR card expire and then want to come back, you can try to apply under humane and compassionate reasons but I have absolutely no idea how much chance to get that through. If it doesn't work out, you would need to apply for PR all over again.

huskie

Mar 19, 2009
Thanks Leon...thats not a good news..

Would Cohen be able to help in filing for compassionte grounds?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, he might be able to help you with that or at least tell you what your chances are. If you have family in Canada, you might have more of a chance. There is also the chance of getting in undetected. Seems that a lot of people have managed that as well.