+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Obligation and kids school registration

IbyE

Mar 4, 2021
Hi all,

I am in a dicey situation and need urgent advise please.

We did our landing in December 2015 but left after two weeks due to work confirmation in another country. The plan was to come back after a year or two to meet our PR obligation but due to personal reasons and then covid last year, we ended up returning only last month, meaning just a few days before the expiration day on our PR cards.

We were questioned at the POE and were given a questionnaire to explain why we have been away for that long and that IRCC will be in touch with us. Now we are about to register our children for school and the school board has asked that we show them proof of application for new PR cards (since they have now expired) before our children can be registered for school. I have read on this forum that it is best not to apply for the PR card until after 2 years (by then we would have met the residency obligation). My question now is how can we then get the children into school? They have been home for a month already due to quarantine and trying to get a place to rent.

PS: We had emailed IRCC on two occasions before arriving explaining why we have not come yet and asking for an extension of time but were given the standard response of meeting the RO or applying for PRTD if the cards expire while outside of Canada.

Please help. Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You can register them in a private school and pay fees. Or do the same for the public school system. You didn’t meet RO so you don’t get an extension of time. The time given to meet RO is very generous.

IbyE

Mar 4, 2021
You can register them in a private school and pay fees. Or do the same for the public school system. You didn’t meet RO so you don’t get an extension of time. The time given to meet RO is very generous.
Thanks Naturgrl. I will go make enquiries in Private schools.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Hi all,

I am in a dicey situation and need urgent advise please.

We did our landing in December 2015 but left after two weeks due to work confirmation in another country. The plan was to come back after a year or two to meet our PR obligation but due to personal reasons and then covid last year, we ended up returning only last month, meaning just a few days before the expiration day on our PR cards.

We were questioned at the POE and were given a questionnaire to explain why we have been away for that long and that IRCC will be in touch with us. Now we are about to register our children for school and the school board has asked that we show them proof of application for new PR cards (since they have now expired) before our children can be registered for school. I have read on this forum that it is best not to apply for the PR card until after 2 years (by then we would have met the residency obligation). My question now is how can we then get the children into school? They have been home for a month already due to quarantine and trying to get a place to rent.

PS: We had emailed IRCC on two occasions before arriving explaining why we have not come yet and asking for an extension of time but were given the standard response of meeting the RO or applying for PRTD if the cards expire while outside of Canada.

Please help. Thanks!
Can you show them your COPR instead of PR card? This is the paper you get when you land for the first time. As long as you have valid status in Canada, I don't think public school system can deny you entry. I think there is a school board registration option for new comers, try to Google and go that route.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you entered Canada prior to the expiry of your cards, why can’t you apply for new ones. You didn’t enter on expired cards.
OP doesn't meet RO.

Reactions: IbyE and Buletruck

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
If you entered Canada prior to the expiry of your cards, why can’t you apply for new ones. You didn’t enter on expired cards.
It depends on what exactly you were told at the border, but since you were already given the residency questionnaire, unless your reasons meet the H&C it is likely that this will escalate with an interview and potentially starting the process of revoking your PR unfortunately (again I wasn't there, do not know your actual reasons beside the work choice and am no lawyer, so I cannot determine if you are at risk or not).

Since COVID started after you had already failed to meet the RO, hopefully you have some other reason to not meet the RO that qualify for H&C.

At this point, my guess (and it is just that, an educated guess) is that you are already on the radar for your violation of your RO and that hopefully your reasons are sufficient for you to keep your PR, but at this point I would guess that it is irrelevant to avoid renewing your PR cards.

The main reason for waiting 2 years to renew is to not get noticed by immigration while not meeting the RO, this applies to people who enter Canada without being determined to be in violation of their RO (not filling that questionnaire).

Reactions: IbyE and Naturgrl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you show them your COPR instead of PR card? This is the paper you get when you land for the first time. As long as you have valid status in Canada, I don't think public school system can deny you entry. I think there is a school board registration option for new comers, try to Google and go that route.
Depends on the school board. In certain school boards they are very strict about showing a valid Pr card because there have been many FN trying to register their children for school without paying for international fees.

IbyE

Mar 4, 2021
We showed them the COPR at first but since that one has expired they asked to see the cards.

IbyE

Mar 4, 2021
Thanks all for your contributions. I will let you know how I go with school applications. The fees are quite high. I'm reviewing a few to find which is most affordable.