+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Living outside Canada wants to sponsor dependent child

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Hello All,
Can a PR sponsor a dependent child by living outside Canada? Means of support (working in India as full time) - only when a child receives PR, We can move as a family.
Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello All,
Can a PR sponsor a dependent child by living outside Canada? Means of support (working in India as full time) - only when a child receives PR, We can move as a family.
Thanks
Looking at your posts, is the child not included in your Outland sponsorship application?

If not, No. Also you must be meeting RO to sponsor your child. Option is to apply for TRV and child can enter as a visitor. Then if meet RO and inside Canada, you can sponsor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,
Thanks
Unfortunately it's not possible.

You must be living in Canada to qualify to sponsor your child and continue living in Canada while the application is processed.

If you want to move together, the only option is to apply for a TRV (or TRP), wait for that to be approved and then travel to Canada. Once you are in Canada, you can submit the application to sponsor your child.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello All,
Thanks
No. You need to be In Canada to sponsor your child. Only waiver is if you work for Canadian Business oversea or you are employed by Federal Government to work oversea

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,
Thanks
Has your spouse received PR yet? If not why don’t you include her child with the sponsorship application. You have created a lot of unecessary problems by not including her child as accompanying with her sponsorship application.

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Looking at your posts, is the child not included in your Outland sponsorship application?

If not, No. Also you must be meeting RO to sponsor your child. Option is to apply for TRV and child can enter as a visitor. Then if meet RO and inside Canada, you can sponsor.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply! Yes we included the child as non accompanying. now that we received COPR and PPR - we are thinking of sponsoring the child as well. We thought we land first and come back and start the sponsorship.

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Has your spouse received PR yet? If not why don’t you include her child with the sponsorship application. You have created a lot of unecessary problems by not including her child as accompanying with her sponsorship application.
Hi,
We have received the PPR - could we still include at this point? we have not submitted our PP yet!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
We have received the PPR - could we still include at this point? we have not submitted our PP yet!
Yes you can change from unaccompanying to accompanying. No matter what the child needed to be included in the original application. Was the child included in the original application?

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Yes you can change from unaccompanying to accompanying. No matter what the child needed to be included in the original application. Was the child included in the original application?
Yes. The child is listed as a dependent child but non accompanying in our original application (because of sharing custody from prev marraige). Now that we have mutually agreed to sponsor the child (waiting for final court papers ), we are exploring our options. we have 30 days to send our PP.
so basically do we have only 2 options right?
1. Apply TRV and then move to canada and sponsor the child (or)
2. While sending passport, update our application child as accompanying?

For option 2 - how can I update? do I have to fill all the documents (from checklist related to sponsoring minor child)? signed and send along with PP? or just documents without PP and wait for another PPR request for both the applicant and Child?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hello All,
Thanks
1. No. PR's can't sponsor a dependent while abroad.
2. You can request a TRV or TRP for the child to travel to Canada otherwise one of you will have to return to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. The child is listed as a dependent child but non accompanying in our original application (because of sharing custody from prev marraige). Now that we have mutually agreed to sponsor the child (waiting for final court papers ), we are exploring our options. we have 30 days to send our PP.
so basically do we have only 2 options right?
1. Apply TRV and then move to canada and sponsor the child (or)
2. While sending passport, update our application child as accompanying?

For option 2 - how can I update? do I have to fill all the documents (from checklist related to sponsoring minor child)? signed and send along with PP? or just documents without PP and wait for another PPR request for both the applicant and Child?
For option 2 you must send in a webform indicating you want to change the dependent to accompanying. This should be done before you get passport request. You should do this asap. There is never a guarantee that the child will get a TRV or TRP and it may take months so it would be much better to change the child to accompanying and include proof that the other parent is permitting the child to go to Canada with the webform.

santor

Jun 3, 2016
For option 2 you must send in a webform indicating you want to change the dependent to accompanying. This should be done before you get passport request. You should do this asap. There is never a guarantee that the child will get a TRV or TRP and it may take months so it would be much better to change the child to accompanying and include proof that the other parent is permitting the child to go to Canada with the webform.
Thank you!

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Hello again!
My wife did a soft landing and received her PR card. We didn't include our child (as accompanying partner - for personal reasons - But included as dependent in her original application).
Now we are ready to apply for TRV/TRP for our child - She is in India and as soon as our child gets the visa, we will move to Canada for good. I read the differences between TRV and TRP and TRP can be applied only if the applicant is inadmissable to Canada. My questions are
1. Shall we apply TRV?
But few threads in this forum, has similar cases got their TRV rejected and IRCC asked them to apply TRP - and eventually they got TRP
2. Should I apply TRP?
I do not know if my child is Inadmissable?
Also - there is no direct way to apply TRP - you need to choose TRV and mention our case? is it so?

We thought of writing a cover letter and our intent to take our child to Canada using (TRV/TRP) and then START a Sponsorship application for our child (because my wife cannot sponsor from outside Canada) - will it suffice?

PLEASE ADVISE - thanks in advance.

Unfortunately it's not possible.

You must be living in Canada to qualify to sponsor your child and continue living in Canada while the application is processed.

If you want to move together, the only option is to apply for a TRV (or TRP), wait for that to be approved and then travel to Canada. Once you are in Canada, you can submit the application to sponsor your child.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello again!
My wife did a soft landing and received her PR card. We didn't include our child (as accompanying partner - for personal reasons - But included as dependent in her original application).
Now we are ready to apply for TRV/TRP for our child - She is in India and as soon as our child gets the visa, we will move to Canada for good. I read the differences between TRV and TRP and TRP can be applied only if the applicant is inadmissable to Canada. My questions are
1. Shall we apply TRV?
But few threads in this forum, has similar cases got their TRV rejected and IRCC asked them to apply TRP - and eventually they got TRP
2. Should I apply TRP?
I do not know if my child is Inadmissable?
Also - there is no direct way to apply TRP - you need to choose TRV and mention our case? is it so?

We thought of writing a cover letter and our intent to take our child to Canada using (TRV/TRP) and then START a Sponsorship application for our child (because my wife cannot sponsor from outside Canada) - will it suffice?

PLEASE ADVISE - thanks in advance.
Apply for a TRV first and hope that is approved.

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Thanks for your reply. I started the application and My questions are
1. I chose "Visitor Visa or Super Visa" (am i right) and then in "Why do you need Visa" - I put To visit my Parent (but Parent is in INDIA - so what Should I choose? - to visit Canada as tourist?
Our intention is to get TRV and apply PR sponsor for minor right away after landing - this will be written in our cover letter explanation as well )
2. I am half way with the application - is there a place to upload cover letter at the later stage?
3. Also while filling TRV - there is a quesion "When will you leave Canada?" - should I put 6 months from the date of entry?