+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing

Douglovatt

Nov 23, 2016
Once you land you become a PR.
A PR cannot have an eTA for Canada.
To board a commercial carrier destined for Canada (Airline/Coach/Railway) a PR must have a PR Card or a PRTD (or they will be denied boarding).
A PR who presents themselves at the border will not be denied entry if their status can be verified.

Therefore:
Crossing into Canada by private vehicle or on foot is supposed to be the only way of a PR entering Canada without a valid PR Card or PRTD.
You cannot use your British Passport that previously was registered with an eTA, because as soon as you became a PR that eTA became invalid. However, the computer systems may not be updated and the eTA may not be technically withdrawn; strictly speaking it is an invalid status.
Thank you

It’s all very confusing but I’m sure there’s a reason for it all.

So long story short after my landing interview on Saturday I WILL be a PR but waiting on my card? COPR is my proof until card comes? That COPR should be enough to let me drive in our car to the states and back?

Sorry if I missed something

Doug

Exorcist

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on October 23, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 29, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on January 29, 2018.
  4. Medical results have been received.
  5. We sent you correspondence on May 22, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
My status show "Decision Made". What next?? I am worried!!
TIA

Reactions: Monika007

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Thank you

It’s all very confusing but I’m sure there’s a reason for it all.

So long story short after my landing interview on Saturday I WILL be a PR but waiting on my card? COPR is my proof until card comes? That COPR should be enough to let me drive in our car to the states and back?

Sorry if I missed something

Doug
Hi Doug,

Nope, you didn't miss anything.

Once you've completed your landing interview that's it, you are a PR!

Your PR card will take about 60 days from the date you do your landing interview to be mailed to your Canadian address. Remember that your PR card is not your status. The PR Card is a travel document, much like a passport. Just because your passport is expired, it doesn't mean you are not a British citizen anymore. Same with a PR Card, even when it expires you are still a Permanent Resident of Canada.

You will only cease to be a PR in one of 3 ways:
1. You become a citizen of Canada
2. Your status is revoked by an official action (never automatic)
3. You renounce your status
(4. You die)

Your CoPR is perhaps one of the most important documents to prove that you are a PR. Once landed, it never expires. Keep this piece of paper safe. Until you have your card, the CoPR with the CBSA officer's stamp on it is your only official tangible evidence of being a PR. You will need this to activate your SIN number, and sign up for certain provincial and federal services such as healthcare. It can also be used in future to apply for new PR cards.

The CoPR will also help show a CBSA officer at the border that you are a PR, in lieu of a PR Card. Showing this document will make it easier for the CBSA officer to determine that you are a PR and that you have the entitlement to enter Canada as such. However, should it be necessary a CBSA officer at the point of entry can also query their internal systems and databases and determine based on your biographical and passport information that you are a PR without the need to see the CoPR. The CoPR just makes the border crossing easier and hopefully less time consuming.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on October 23, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 29, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on January 29, 2018.
  4. Medical results have been received.
  5. We sent you correspondence on May 22, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
My status show "Decision Made". What next?? I am worried!!
TIA
Congratulations, the correspondence is probably your passport request.

Unless you've received a procedural fairness letter, you can be pretty certain that your application is approved and that the decision made is a positive one.

Douglovatt

Nov 23, 2016
Hi Doug,

Nope, you didn't miss anything.

Once you've completed your landing interview that's it, you are a PR!

Your PR card will take about 60 days from the date you do your landing interview to be mailed to your Canadian address. Remember that your PR card is not your status. The PR Card is a travel document, much like a passport. Just because your passport is expired, it doesn't mean you are not a British citizen anymore. Same with a PR Card, even when it expires you are still a Permanent Resident of Canada.

You will only cease to be a PR in one of 3 ways:
1. You become a citizen of Canada
2. Your status is revoked by an official action (never automatic)
3. You renounce your status
(4. You die)

Your CoPR is perhaps one of the most important documents to prove that you are a PR. Once landed, it never expires. Keep this piece of paper safe. Until you have your card, the CoPR with the CBSA officer's stamp on it is your only official tangible evidence of being a PR. You will need this to activate your SIN number, and sign up for certain provincial and federal services such as healthcare. It can also be used in future to apply for new PR cards.

The CoPR will also help show a CBSA officer at the border that you are a PR, in lieu of a PR Card. Showing this document will make it easier for the CBSA officer to determine that you are a PR and that you have the entitlement to enter Canada as such. However, should it be necessary a CBSA officer at the point of entry can also query their internal systems and databases and determine based on your biographical and passport information that you are a PR without the need to see the CoPR. The CoPR just makes the border crossing easier and hopefully less time consuming.
Brilliant reply and very informative

Many thanks again

Doug

Reactions: evdm

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
Our COPR should be issued soon and we are also travelling in June. Was planning on applying for an eTA (my partner is currently on a work permit but he has gotten a new passport recently, so will need a new eTA) and then doing the landing upon return to Canada. Is this a logical idea? He won't have his PR card yet but he will have an eTA and valid work permit.
Hi do you mind sharing what the turnaround time was between your PPR docs being received and your COPR being issued? Thanks.

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Hi do you mind sharing what the turnaround time was between your PPR docs being received and your COPR being issued? Thanks.
Have not yet received COPR. PPR docs were only just received May 28, so hopefully will get COPR in next couple weeks or so.

Reactions: Forte

PR2019

May 24, 2019
Hi,

I recently got my COPR but I haven't completed my PR landing.I am going to Cuba in June.
Can i do PR landing on my return from Cuba. As I only have 4 weeks my PR card won't be there in this much time.

I only have a single entry visa which i got with PR card. I just want to know if it is okay for me to do my landing when i arrive from Cuba on June 24th. Or should i do my PR landing before going to Cuba. Please let me know if there are any alternatives.

Hi! Were you able to go to Cuba on the one time Visa and come back for landing? Thanks. Regards.