+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing

sharmapushp94

Oct 9, 2017
Hi,

I recently got my COPR but I haven't completed my PR landing.I am going to Cuba in June.
Can i do PR landing on my return from Cuba. As I only have 4 weeks my PR card won't be there in this much time.

I only have a single entry visa which i got with PR card. I just want to know if it is okay for me to do my landing when i arrive from Cuba on June 24th. Or should i do my PR landing before going to Cuba. Please let me know if there are any alternatives.

tozach

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Hi,

I recently got my COPR but I haven't completed my PR landing.I am going to Cuba in June.
Can i do PR landing on my return from Cuba. As I only have 4 weeks my PR card won't be there in this much time.

I only have a single entry visa which i got with PR card. I just want to know if it is okay for me to do my landing when i arrive from Cuba on June 24th. Or should i do my PR landing before going to Cuba. Please let me know if there are any alternatives.
You can do your landing on the way back from Cuba. But make sure that you do it before the date mentioned in the COPR.

Douglovatt

Nov 23, 2016
Hi

I am having landing interview on Saturday just looking to know the steps after that.

I assume I will get COPR then. Can I then leave the country for a vacation and be okay getting back in (inland applicant)

Once the card comes do I have to do something to make it live?

Doug

canamconnect

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I am having landing interview on Saturday just looking to know the steps after that.

I assume I will get COPR then. Can I then leave the country for a vacation and be okay getting back in (inland applicant)

Doug
You may have an issue trying to come back in without a PR card. A friend of mine has had PR most of her life (came with parents many years ago) let her PR card lapse (yup they do expire folks) and they would not let her board the plane to come back to Canada because the card was expired.
She had to stay another month and work with the Embassy to get a new one issued.
Not guaranteed to have an issue but there is a good chance....

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi

Doug
You can't fly back into Canada without your PR card once you land as a PR.

Reactions: Hurlabrick

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
You can't fly back into Canada without your PR card once you land as a PR.
No you cant.

Your choices are very limited.

Either apply for a PRTD when you are overseas at the local Canadian visa office (lots of forms and proof and a few days / weeks to get issued) or fly back to the USA and cross a Canadian land border by private transport.

So in reality - don't leave Canada until you get your PR Card unless you like hassle!

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
No you cant.

Either apply for a PRTD when you are overseas at the local Canadian visa office (lots of forms and proof and a few days / weeks to get issued) or fly back to the USA and cross a Canadian land border by private transport.

So in reality - don't leave Canada until you get your PR Card unless you like hassle!
Our COPR should be issued soon and we are also travelling in June. Was planning on applying for an eTA (my partner is currently on a work permit but he has gotten a new passport recently, so will need a new eTA) and then doing the landing upon return to Canada. Is this a logical idea? He won't have his PR card yet but he will have an eTA and valid work permit.

Douglovatt

Nov 23, 2016
No you cant.

Ahhh it seems like there’s a hurdle at every single turn. Can I ask you though.

I won’t be flying anywhere any time soon but probably will cross into States by car. Should that be ok if I don’t have the card yet? Will COPR be okay for getting back?

Assuming I did want to fly to Europe with COPR couldn’t I just use my British passport which is valid with an ETA?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Ahhh it seems like there’s a hurdle at every single turn. Can I ask you though.

I won’t be flying anywhere any time soon but probably will cross into States by car. Should that be ok if I don’t have the card yet? Will COPR be okay for getting back?

Assuming I did want to fly to Europe with COPR couldn’t I just use my British passport which is valid with an ETA?
Once you land you become a PR.
A PR cannot have an eTA for Canada.
To board a commercial carrier destined for Canada (Airline/Coach/Railway) a PR must have a PR Card or a PRTD (or they will be denied boarding).
A PR who presents themselves at the border will not be denied entry if their status can be verified.

Therefore:
Crossing into Canada by private vehicle or on foot is supposed to be the only way of a PR entering Canada without a valid PR Card or PRTD.
You cannot use your British Passport that previously was registered with an eTA, because as soon as you became a PR that eTA became invalid. However, the computer systems may not be updated and the eTA may not be technically withdrawn; strictly speaking it is an invalid status.

Reactions: Hurlabrick