+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing without Spouse

Nov 29, 2019
Hello,

My initial PR application was submitted in Jan 2019. I got married in May 2019 and submitted required documents for my spouse in Aug 2019. Please help me with the following questions.

1. My medical is valid till Jan 2020 and my wife’s medical is valid till Aug 2020. If PR application is approved, what will be the validity of COPR? Will it be till Jan 2020 or Aug 2020? Or will both will have different COPR expiry date?
  2. My wife may not be able to travel abroad post Feb 2020. Recently when I reached out CIC regarding this, they advised me it’s not mandatory for the dependent spouse to accompany with the principal application while I seek appointment to confirm PR status. Is there any risk in travelling alone to complete landing process?
  3. Let’s say If I travel alone for PR stamping, Is there any deadline (like one year from medical) for my spouse to obtain PR?
Thanks in advance for your help.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. COPRs are generally valid until the expiry of medicals. I'm not too sure in your case what the expiry may be; if there is one COPR, it will be the shorter of the two dates.
2. There isn't risk in travelling alone aside from the fact that your wife will also need to land.
3. She will need to land before her COPR expires.

Nov 29, 2019
Thank you for response. One last question. What will happen if she is not able to make it before the COPR expiry date? I am in process of applying for H4 to F1 change of status for my wife, she may not be able to travel abroad post Feb/March 2020 for few years. Please advice

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you for response. One last question. What will happen if she is not able to make it before the COPR expiry date? I am in process of applying for H4 to F1 change of status for my wife, she may not be able to travel abroad post Feb/March 2020 for few years. Please advice
If she doesn't land before CoPR expiry, her PR application will be cancelled, and you'll have to start from scratch. If you are a PR by then, you can sponsor her (takes about a year), or she can also qualify on her own through Express Entry/PNP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You would have to sponsor her from Canada and remain in Canada during that time. You’d also need to be compliant with your RO.

SonaCanada

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hello,

My initial PR application was submitted in Jan 2019. I got married in May 2019 and submitted required documents for my spouse in Aug 2019. Please help me with the following questions.

1. My medical is valid till Jan 2020 and my wife’s medical is valid till Aug 2020. If PR application is approved, what will be the validity of COPR? Will it be till Jan 2020 or Aug 2020? Or will both will have different COPR expiry date?
  2. My wife may not be able to travel abroad post Feb 2020. Recently when I reached out CIC regarding this, they advised me it’s not mandatory for the dependent spouse to accompany with the principal application while I seek appointment to confirm PR status. Is there any risk in travelling alone to complete landing process?
  3. Let’s say If I travel alone for PR stamping, Is there any deadline (like one year from medical) for my spouse to obtain PR?
Thanks in advance for your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hai
We are also in the same situation, did your wife landed alone without the primary applicant.
The Primary Applicant isn't required to be there when a dependent lands. The only requirement is that the PA land first.