+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing with expired WP

RPAMCA

Apr 26, 2016
Hi,
My WP will be expiring on Mar 28. I send my passport for PR visa stamping and expecting the same at Mar end. i Have applied Bridge open work permit already and it is in progress.

My question is am i eligible to land crossing US border ?. what document they may ask in US and CA?

Since my WP expired by that time , am i in legal stay with In progress Bridge open work permit (Since i got PR, don't think it will be processed) in Canada ? will that create any problem while landing ?

Please help

Broken Heart

Star Member
Dec 26, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-02-2017
Interview........
BG: NN->IP 22-02-2017
Passport Req..
24-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-03-2017
Since you applied for BOWP, then you are considered on "implied status".

You will need to take your passport, CoPR, expired WP, and also your CIC BOWP receipt and BOWP application printed.

Once you exit Canada, you loose implied status, and you will be considered with no status, since you left Canada technically, once you come back in, you get PR status in place.

If all your papers are in place, you have nothing to worry about.
Also pls read more threads, as your question is answered numerous times before.

Good luck to you.

DRWOU

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
RPAMCA said:
Hi,
My WP will be expiring on Mar 28. I send my passport for PR visa stamping and expecting the same at Mar end. i Have applied Bridge open work permit already and it is in progress.

My question is am i eligible to land crossing US border ?. what document they may ask in US and CA?

Since my WP expired by that time , am i in legal stay with In progress Bridge open work permit (Since i got PR, don't think it will be processed) in Canada ? will that create any problem while landing ?

Please help
you can cross the us border to land officially, once you have your COPR. No one will ask about your implied status. I know of someone with similar situation who just landed

Broken Heart

Star Member
Dec 26, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-02-2017
Interview........
BG: NN->IP 22-02-2017
Passport Req..
24-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-03-2017
DRWOU said:
you can cross the us border to land officially, once you have your COPR. No one will ask about your implied status. I know of someone with similar situation who just landed
Not always the case, many reported that they were asked about their status in Canada previously and asked to prove it, reason being officers sometimes they want to know if you overstayed illegally, or if you were working legally, etc.

So yes, sometimes they don't care and some other times they refuse your landing without proper documentation in hand, so better prepared than sorry. My 2 cents.

Good luck.