+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR landing with expired student visa

TasnimB

Jan 14, 2018
Hi,
My student visa has expired but I have valid study permit. I have applied for PR through express entry and already submitted documents after receiving ITA.
My question is:
Can I land for PR with this expired visa? Or is it required for me to renew my student visa before the processing requires me to land as PR?

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Once you have a Permanent Resident status in Canada (by landing at a Canadian Port of Entry with your Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR), then all other previous Temporary visas (including student visas) are null and void as they are no longer needed. As a PR, you are free to study and work wherever you want unless your method of acquiring PR specifically says you can't. (I don't have any experience with what a PR can or can't do through the Express Entry stream.)

I don't see how you would be able to travel with any expired Visa. But when it comes to landing as a PR, your COPR document is how you land. If you are not from a Visa-exempt country and you need a visa to travel to Canada, CIC will put one in your passport for you to use to get to Canada so you can land.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
My student visa has expired but I have valid study permit. I have applied for PR through express entry and already submitted documents after receiving ITA.
My question is:
Can I land for PR with this expired visa? Or is it required for me to renew my student visa before the processing requires me to land as PR?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/after-apply-next-steps.html

Confirmation of permanent residence

If we approve your application, we will issue you a:

• Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)
  • a permanent resident visa (if you're from a country that requires visas)

R

rish888

(I don't have any experience with what a PR can or can't do through the Express Entry stream.)
All PR's have the same rights, regardless of the stream through which they acquired their status.

The only exception is PR's who are also convention refugees. They cannot travel back to their home country or use their home country's passport. If they do, it puts their PR status at risk.

As regardless to the rights PR's have:

The exact same as citizens, with the following exceptions:

PR's can't usually serve in the military

PR's can't vote/hold political office

PR's can't work in certain government fields which requires a security clearance and they can't join the police force in some provinces.

Reactions: jordo

TasnimB

Jan 14, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/after-apply-next-steps.html

Confirmation of permanent residence

If we approve your application, we will issue you a:

• Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)
  • a permanent resident visa (if you're from a country that requires visas)
Thank you for your answer. I still have a little bit confusion. Landing visa will be one time use only what I found. So, if I am given a landing visa, will it matter if the older visa had had been valid or expired ? Will that effect the landing?

jmm42837

Oct 14, 2018
Hi,
My question is:
Buddy did you get the answer? or you in Canada?