+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR landing with expired/not expired (?) study permit

TasnimB

Jan 14, 2018
Hi.
I have a question for a friend.

She graduated last year fall under study permit and had a baby born in around 3 months' time after that. Her partner (a PGWP holder) suggested her to not apply for PGWP as he said that she was not going to work anyway for at least six months after the baby was born. (Her study permit document says it will expire in end of 2019 and she applied for further study from coming fall. So, she let that remain as it was.)

They applied for PR after the baby was born and submitted documents a month back. Now she wants to know if it could be an issue for PR landing.
Or does she require to take any action? If yes, then what? and how long could it take?

msmahmood

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, as long as she has Valid Study permit she can stay in Canada. PGWP is not a must to be applied, and it can also be applied after she completes her further studies, just that PGWP can only be obtained once.
I am not sure how long the PR from that stream would take, but as long as you get it while she has valid status in Canada that is not a problem and she can stay in Canada, if her status runs out then she will have to leave Canada and once she gets PR(COPR document) she can then formally land in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi.
I have a question for a friend.

She graduated last year fall under study permit and had a baby born in around 3 months' time after that. Her partner (a PGWP holder) suggested her to not apply for PGWP as he said that she was not going to work anyway for at least six months after the baby was born. (Her study permit document says it will expire in end of 2019 and she applied for further study from coming fall. So, she let that remain as it was.)

They applied for PR after the baby was born and submitted documents a month back. Now she wants to know if it could be an issue for PR landing.
Or does she require to take any action? If yes, then what? and how long could it take?
As she completed her studies and didn't apply for a PGWP, her status expired after 90 days, regardless of the validity date on her permit. She has no status. Stupid "advice" on the part of her spouse.

Reactions: Buletruck