+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR landing question

Canadian5555

Dec 13, 2020
Hey there, I was told to post my question in this forum-- I had originally put it under "Family Sponsorship". The story is that I (Canadian) am in the process of sponsoring my Australian husband who is living in Canada with me. We are applying for Outland so that we are able to travel to Australia during the process. Because of Covid, we are waiting for the borders to open up so we do not know when we will head there. I am hoping to have the application sent by July. My question is, once we receive his PR, how much time will he have before he has to come to Canada to claim it? Once the borders open, we were thinking of living in Australia for a year or two- meet his family and travel around. I just want to make sure that we have enough time before we have to come back to Canada. I was told that in the five years of obtaining the PR, he has to be here for 2 years. But I can't seem to find how much time we have to enter Canada and claim it once it is given to him. Thank you :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am hoping to have the application sent by July. My question is, once we receive his PR, how much time will he have before he has to come to Canada to claim it?
Usually one year from the medical examination. Btw, why don't you apply the spousal sponsorship when you guys are ready to live in Canada? Say 2 years later? Your husband can apply ETA in the meantime to enter Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also I'm not sure what you mean by borders are not open. Your husband is Australian and you are Canadian, so you guys should be able to travel to
Australia without any problem. There might not be directs flights but probably you could find indirect flights (transit in one or several countries)

Canadian5555

Dec 13, 2020
Also I'm not sure what you mean by borders are not open. Your husband is Australian and you are Canadian, so you guys should be able to travel to
Australia without any problem. There might not be directs flights but probably you could find indirect flights (transit in one or several countries)
I guess my thought process was to get the PR in as fast as possible, so he has it sooner than later. We also don't know how Australia is going to be dealing with the fallout of being so closed off, so we may be coming back to Canada without spending much time in Australia. In terms of getting in, currently I need to apply for an exemption and be approved- many married couples have been denied multiple times. And we'd rather not spend $6,000 in combined quarantine fees and lose 2 weeks. He may go ahead of me to see his family and I'll come join him once travel there is easier. It's very up in the air right now which makes the PR timeline a bit tricky. But I appreciate your response, thank you.

iamgrezy

Jun 1, 2020
Hi, anyone knows what is "canada permanent resident travel document" looks like? Thanks in advance.

Canadian5555

Dec 13, 2020
So I thought of another question..... if we do outland and send it to Ontario, will he need to be in Canada for the medical exam? If there's a chance he'll be in Australia by then, should we be sending it to Sydney instead? Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So I thought of another question..... if we do outland and send it to Ontario, will he need to be in Canada for the medical exam? If there's a chance he'll be in Australia by then, should we be sending it to Sydney instead? Thank you.
If you're applying outland, you do not send it to Ontario.

He can do the medical and biometrics anywhere in the world, really.

Canadian5555

Dec 13, 2020
I thought if he was living in Canada at the time of applying for Outland, you should send it to Ontario. Maybe I am wrong though.

Canadian5555

Dec 13, 2020
Yes, you are wrong )).
Hey, so I looked at the document checklist again and now I am confused. This is what it tells me:

"Please check the box which applies to you (the primary applicant):
I am currently living in Canada with my spouse, and I am applying under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class."

This is the one that applies to us and the address given is the Ontario one

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey, so I looked at the document checklist again and now I am confused. This is what it tells me:

"Please check the box which applies to you (the primary applicant):
I am currently living in Canada with my spouse, and I am applying under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class."

This is the one that applies to us and the address given is the Ontario one
That's the inland process (not outland).

Reactions: armoured

Canadian5555

Dec 13, 2020
EDIT #2: Sorry I have one more question. So if we are doing outland, does this mean it is under the "Family Class" and not the "Spouse or common-law partner in Canada Class"? I think I assumed the "Spouse..." one and hence where my confusion began.

EDIT: I just went back to reload the package again... under the mailing instructions, it does say to send to Sydney if he is living in Canada but we want to do outland. Thank you for pointing that/clarifying it!!

Mmmmm, so they asked me two questions before they gave me the application package online... is it a spouse and where do they live. Since he lives in Canada, that's what I chose and that's the paperwork they gave me.

Last edited:

Homeowner

Jun 12, 2021
Hey there, I was told to post my question in this forum-- I had originally put it under "Family Sponsorship". The story is that I (Canadian) am in the process of sponsoring my Australian husband who is living in Canada with me. We are applying for Outland so that we are able to travel to Australia during the process. Because of Covid, we are waiting for the borders to open up so we do not know when we will head there. I am hoping to have the application sent by July. My question is, once we receive his PR, how much time will he have before he has to come to Canada to claim it? Once the borders open, we were thinking of living in Australia for a year or two- meet his family and travel around. I just want to make sure that we have enough time before we have to come back to Canada. I was told that in the five years of obtaining the PR, he has to be here for 2 years. But I can't seem to find how much time we have to enter Canada and claim it once it is given to him. Thank you :)
Your PR is valid for 5 years . Only in order to renew you need to complete 730 days in 5 years to get it approved for renewal. There is no restriction when you have to come back to Canada. As long as you can maintain a stay of 730 days in the entire 5 years from the date of your landing it can be renewed. For Citizenship it is 1035 days in 5years. So the question should not be when one can come back to Canada, but should be what one had to do to ensure they maintain 730 days in total out of the 5 years so that they can renew the PR. Remember there are calculator or CIC website on which you can calculate your out of country days . A copy of the same shall be attach with your PR renewal application or Citizenship application when required. These days shouldn't be consecutive so you can come as many times in the 5 years to ensure that you fulfill the obligation of 730 days total in Canada for PR renewal.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Your PR is valid for 5 years . Only in order to renew you need to complete 730 days in 5 years to get it approved for renewal. There is no restriction when you have to come back to Canada. As long as you can maintain a stay of 730 days in the entire 5 years from the date of your landing it can be renewed. For Citizenship it is 1035 days in 5years. So the question should not be when one can come back to Canada, but should be what one had to do to ensure they maintain 730 days in total out of the 5 years so that they can renew the PR. Remember there are calculator or CIC website on which you can calculate your out of country days . A copy of the same shall be attach with your PR renewal application or Citizenship application when required. These days shouldn't be consecutive so you can come as many times in the 5 years to ensure that you fulfill the obligation of 730 days total in Canada for PR renewal.
1095*