+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR: Landing & pre-settlement in 2-3 days?

EU_2010

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
01**
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
n/a
LANDED..........
landed Mar 2014
immig_IT_guy said:
Yes, I have seen it in multiple landing experiences posts that mentioned about Service Canada counter at the port of entry in Pearson Airport.
I guess the one thing you need to be careful would be time of landing, If it is late night then they probably would be closed.
Yes, depending on what time of the day you land, you can get your SIN right away at Pearson airport.
When I landed, it was after midnight, so they were closed. I obtained my SIN from Service Canada. A good location to go to is at City Hall.
As somebody else mentioned, the sooner you can apply for OHIP, the better. I suggest to visit the Service Ontario at 777 Bay and have a look at the webpage what documents are required (it's a long list). Take your passport and your confirmation of landing with you to both places.

You will also need the SIN to open a bank account.

If I were you, I'd also spend some time in town, check out diffferent neighbourhoods etc. Possibly visit a few networking events.

agarand8

Aug 21, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
10-06-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014...#2 - 10-06-2014
File Transfer...
22-05-2014
Med's Request
Additional tests requested on 05-06-2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 2014 & August 5th 2014
Interview........
24-FEB-2015
Passport Req..
24-MAR-2015...received at VO 6-APR-2015
next2015 said:
You'll want to submit your application for health insurance too. If you have kids you should also consider applying for child car benefits.
In Saskatchewan you can apply online, I called last week to find out what is needed since my husband will land this summer, you need 3 things in Saskatchewan and a whole variety of documents can be used depending on your situation. See the full list here. http://www.ehealthsask.ca/HealthRegistries/Pages/health-card-supporting-doc.aspx

The one that you would have an issue with if you were just landing for a few days before leaving again would be the proof of residency. For this more common stuff to use are utility bills in your name, bank statements, something official with your address on it. The reason I called was because for us we want to apply right away, of course everyone wants health coverage God forbid something should happen, and we will be living with my parents. The person told me that I can have my dad write a letter stating that my husband lives with him at such and such address and sign it.

The thing is that health coverage is provincial so if you want to make the application you need someone who will write that letter for you who lives in the same province that you will eventually live in. However, because it is provincial the rules and requirements may differ province to province so I encourage you to search online for information for the proper province before you do anything.

Also I was told that submitting the application electronically will save 2 weeks of processing time and that in the summer I can expect a 4 week wait for the health card if we apply online, and a 6 week wait if we mail or fax the documents. Not 3 months. But that's just in Saskatchewan.