+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR: Landing & pre-settlement in 2-3 days?

aenima

Oct 22, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2014
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
Med's Request
26-03-2015
Hi all,

I've just completed my medical and paid my right of permanent residence fee so I expect to get a passport request pretty soon. I have a trip planned to the U.S. in August/September and I'm thinking of officially 'landing' in Canada while I am in North America. What things would you recommend I do in a few days after landing and commencing P.R.? I have a friend in Canada who will receive and send my P.R. card to me back home. I would then take my time working out a job and other logistics before returning and settling properly.

So far, I will:
  • Give my friend's address to the border officer so that he can mail my P.R. card there.
  • Visit an office to get a social insurance number (SIN). I hope that this does not require a P.R. card.
  • Open up a bank account so that I can begin transferring money into CAD and have a cash card ready to use when I return.

Is there anything else that is quick and easy to set up so that I can 'hit the ground running' when I go back there to settle?

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
You'll want to submit your application for health insurance too. If you have kids you should also consider applying for child car benefits.

Apr 7, 2015
next2015 said:
You'll want to submit your application for health insurance too. If you have kids you should also consider applying for child car benefits.
If you are only landing for a few days, should you still go ahead and apply for health insurance?

immig_IT_guy

Jan 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
16-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Not Sure
Med's Request
23-12-2014
Med's Done....
03-01-2015, FBI PCC submitted on 03-04-2015
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-10-2015
LANDED..........
17-12-2015
aenima said:
Hi all,

I've just completed my medical and paid my right of permanent residence fee so I expect to get a passport request pretty soon. I have a trip planned to the U.S. in August/September and I'm thinking of officially 'landing' in Canada while I am in North America. What things would you recommend I do in a few days after landing and commencing P.R.? I have a friend in Canada who will receive and send my P.R. card to me back home. I would then take my time working out a job and other logistics before returning and settling properly.

So far, I will:
  • Give my friend's address to the border officer so that he can mail my P.R. card there.
  • Visit an office to get a social insurance number (SIN). I hope that this does not require a P.R. card.
  • Open up a bank account so that I can begin transferring money into CAD and have a cash card ready to use when I return.

Is there anything else that is quick and easy to set up so that I can 'hit the ground running' when I go back there to settle?
Actually there is not much you could do
SIN is issued pretty quickly (In some airports on the same day)
PR would take about 45-60 days
It all depends on when you are coming back to settle, may be you could apply for jobs and take interviews
Also, I heard some one in the forum say that it is not wise to let the VO at the landing know that you are going back... Just pretend that you are landing

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
immig_IT_guy said:
SIN is issued pretty quickly (In some airports on the same day)
Can you get your SIN at the airport? I thought you had to go to a Service Center to get one.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
TheNightmanCometh said:
If you are only landing for a few days, should you still go ahead and apply for health insurance?
I'd advise you to do so. It takes 3 months from the time you submit your application for your application to be processed. It therefore reduces on your waiting time if you submit earlier - the earlier the better

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
RocketCity said:
Can you get your SIN at the airport? I thought you had to go to a Service Center to get one.
As mentioned in the response from IT_guy, at some airports the SIN can be issued on the same day i.e. On entry. So the question is, has you preferred point of entry (airport) got the facility in place?

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
next2015 said:
As mentioned in the response from IT_guy, at some airports the SIN can be issued on the same day i.e. On entry. So the question is, has you preferred point of entry (airport) got the facility in place?
Is there any in pearson airport?

immig_IT_guy

Jan 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
16-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Not Sure
Med's Request
23-12-2014
Med's Done....
03-01-2015, FBI PCC submitted on 03-04-2015
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-10-2015
LANDED..........
17-12-2015
tipsy said:
Is there any in pearson airport?
Yes, I have seen it in multiple landing experiences posts that mentioned about Service Canada counter at the port of entry in Pearson Airport.
I guess the one thing you need to be careful would be time of landing, If it is late night then they probably would be closed.

base7

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI. I am also going to land and stay for 2 weeks. I will use my friends location for PR card. Is there any possibility for verification of physical stay for getting pr card delivery? Or is there any further contacts from pr authority?

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
If your PR was obtained under provincial nomination program then you will want to make sure the address you provide is within the province that issued your selection certificate. You wouldn't want to arouse questions about your intention to settle in the province on entry.

If you are under FSW, then you have nothing to worry about.

fresher_2013

Star Member
Jul 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

i am traveling for 2-3 weeks in May and plan to re-enter at a later date for final settlement.

Just got my Immigrant stamping done on my passport under the FSW category.

I know that my PR card will not arrive before I leave and plan to give a cousins address for PR card. She lives in Vancouver and I plan to enter Toronto. I hope that should not be a problem that the address is of Vancouver and I am in Toronto.

Should I apply for SIN card also while I am there for 2-3 weeks?

Thanks

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Fresher 2013,
The address issue should not be a problem. It is fine.

On the SIN, yes you can apply for it while your there. Wherever you apply (whether at POE or Service Canada location), you should get it on the same day (during your visit) if all your documents are in order.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TheNightmanCometh said:
No point, you wouldn't be eligible. Plus it would trigger residency for CRA and CBSA purposes.

micki

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OhCanadiana said:
No point, you wouldn't be eligible. Plus it would trigger residency for CRA and CBSA purposes.
If you leave Canada before your medical is activated , is it by default that the responsible authorities get this information? , i.e.., that you have violated their rules?