+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing from US - June 2020

arunb420

May 18, 2020
Sharing my experience landing in Canada from USA

I travelled from Indianapolis to Toronto with connecting flight in Charlotte using American Airlines. AA was not allowing me to check in online. So, I had to complete the check in at the airport. They checked my visa and COPR and issued me the boarding pass. Once at the gate, they have again verified by visa.

Once I landed in Charlotte, I immediately had a connecting flight and headed to the gate. For some reason, they could not clear me to board in as the system was not allowing them to clear my boarding. They called another officer to check my eligibility to travel and were trying to confirm the same with American Airlines internal immigration customer service. I provided them a printout of the following page which indicated that I could enter Canada as my PR was approved before March 18th. They verified my PR visa and COPR again and let me through. The flight was delayed by 5 mins as they were trying to figure out whether they should let me board or not.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html

After landing in Toronto, we directly head towards immigrations with a covid-19 declaration that is provided on the flight. The first officer checked my passport and asked me if I had a quarantine plan and if anyone else was living with me and let me through to the next officer who collected my covid declaration. The Covid declaration has questions like, if you have fever, cough, difficulty breathing etc.

Then I proceeded to another officer who processed my landing and asked some basic questions like if I was convicted of felony in any country and if I had access to more than $10000 cad. The officer stamps and signs both the COPR copies. They keep one copy and return the other. That makes you officially landed PR. Then I headed to another officer who processed my Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow. At the end of every stage, each officer asks you to confirm about quarantine plan and I was told that the day I landed is day 1 of the quarantine.

Finally got an uber and reached my Airbnb. I have ordered food and groceries online and added in delivery comments to have it left at the door. I have received a phone call today from Public Health Office and they asked me questions about my quarantine like, whether I directly came to my place of quarantine or if I stopped anywhere, whether I had any visitors, if I got access to food.

I use a T-mobile plan in the US. I can make/receive phone calls, but data plan does not seem to work. After my flight landed, it took about 15 mins for the signal to show up.

Hope this helps!

RitzzG

Jun 24, 2019

I travelled from Indianapolis to Toronto with connecting flight in Charlotte using American Airlines. AA was not allowing me to check in online. So, I had to complete the check in at the airport. They checked my visa and COPR and issued me the boarding pass. Once at the gate, they have again verified by visa.

Once I landed in Charlotte, I immediately had a connecting flight and headed to the gate. For some reason, they could not clear me to board in as the system was not allowing them to clear my boarding. They called another officer to check my eligibility to travel and were trying to confirm the same with American Airlines internal immigration customer service. I provided them a printout of the following page which indicated that I could enter Canada as my PR was approved before March 18th. They verified my PR visa and COPR again and let me through. The flight was delayed by 5 mins as they were trying to figure out whether they should let me board or not.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html

After landing in Toronto, we directly head towards immigrations with a covid-19 declaration that is provided on the flight. The first officer checked my passport and asked me if I had a quarantine plan and if anyone else was living with me and let me through to the next officer who collected my covid declaration. The Covid declaration has questions like, if you have fever, cough, difficulty breathing etc.

Then I proceeded to another officer who processed my landing and asked some basic questions like if I was convicted of felony in any country and if I had access to more than $10000 cad. The officer stamps and signs both the COPR copies. They keep one copy and return the other. That makes you officially landed PR. Then I headed to another officer who processed my Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow. At the end of every stage, each officer asks you to confirm about quarantine plan and I was told that the day I landed is day 1 of the quarantine.

Finally got an uber and reached my Airbnb. I have ordered food and groceries online and added in delivery comments to have it left at the door. I have received a phone call today from Public Health Office and they asked me questions about my quarantine like, whether I directly came to my place of quarantine or if I stopped anywhere, whether I had any visitors, if I got access to food.

I use a T-mobile plan in the US. I can make/receive phone calls, but data plan does not seem to work. After my flight landed, it took about 15 mins for the signal to show up.

Hope this helps!
Congrats for becoming a PR!

1. "Then I headed to another officer who processed my Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow " - Did you took a pre-filled GA/GTF forms to the officer or can we fill those at the airport too? I am just trying to understand this particular step in more detail and best way to approach this stage.
2. "data plan does not seem to work" - It did not work at all or had a crappy reception? If it is a former case then I believe airport WifI is the only way to book a cab.

Thanks.

arunb420

May 18, 2020
Congrats for becoming a PR!

1. "Then I headed to another officer who processed my Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow " - Did you took a pre-filled GA/GTF forms to the officer or can we fill those at the airport too? I am just trying to understand this particular step in more detail and best way to approach this stage.

I took two printed copies each of GA/GTF, basic excel table with item and value. If you have any jewelry, take it with you or atleast take a photo of it. I took a empty BSF form but never used it.

2. "data plan does not seem to work" - It did not work at all or had a crappy reception? If it is a former case then I believe airport WifI is the only way to book a cab.
It did not work at all. I used airport wifi to book a cab. I had wifi at airbnb. Before travelling I downloaded offline map of GTA in google maps. So, even if there is no data, your location services work and I could confirm the airbnb. But, its a bit risky if your airbnb wifi is crappy and you don't have online connection to outside world for 2 weeks.

Thanks.

RitzzG

Jun 24, 2019
1. I think I got myself confused here. Let me take a step back. As per my understanding, GA and GTF is a self-typed list of items(or basic excel as you mentioned). BSF is just an alternative to to those handwritten ot self-typed lists, more like a formal document but serves the same purpose of our self made lists. In short, either I take 2 copies each of basic excel for GA and GTF or 4 copies of BSF, they are one and the same thing. Please correct me where I am wrong.

2. Do we need to list all the personal belongings in broad categories in GA - clothes, utensils, perfumes etc. I fear the list will run into pages. Not a big problem but would like to avoid unnecessary work if possible..

3. I am planning to do a soft landing but I am taking all my personal belongings with me (because of speculation that H1 travel ban may come into play soon and I may not reenter US), so all those go into GA lists. But in case, I return to US and permanently shift to Canada in future along with those all those personal belongings(with no additional items), can border agents ask for the same GA list or can they mention that those GA should in fact be in GTF list since I am again carrying those items on a future date or no need to worry about GA during second travel at all. Please suggest what should be done in that case.

4. I will not be disclosing to immigration officer that I am there just to soft landing. Is there any need to disclose the same to customs officer or no need?

Long list of queries and I appreciate your patience in replying :)

Last edited:

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019

Hope this helps!
Did you also create your SIN ? If not, then what are your plans for it ?
Did you use instacart for online groceries ?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Did you also create your SIN ? If not, then what are your plans for it ?
Did you use instacart for online groceries ?
SIN: Its not an urgent thing unless you start working for Canadian employer. Also even if its urgent then you can just walk in and apply and get the number in few minutes(before the first day on the job).
instacart: Yes they do deliveries at least in my area. Check the delivery availability of your area (of interest).

Reactions: MiljanNB

sriks91

Sep 26, 2018
I am planning to travel via land either Windsor or Niagara. Are they doing landing at these port of entries? Last I heard they are not doing any landing now and have to wait for it to happen via phone interview. Please let me know otherwise as I am planning to travel this weekend.

Reactions: MiljanNB