Jamaica
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
February 23, 2021
Med's Done....
15-03-2021
Weren't you supposed to show the amount required for proof of funds which is around 16500 CAD in your case ?
They didn't ask me for it. They asked how much cash I had on me, which I answered. I had my bank statement with me to show the amount required but I didn't need to use it. Just answer what you are asked I would say.

Reactions: Buho09

Sydneyaccountant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2020
I am travelling to Canada next month so will share my experience here. For those who applied for SIN, is it linked to government healthcare as well or you need to apply for that separately?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I am travelling to Canada next month so will share my experience here. For those who applied for SIN, is it linked to government healthcare as well or you need to apply for that separately?
So its 2 different things. First you need to go to Service Canada for SIN and then to local registry to apply for provincial health card and id card.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
So finally, my wife and I "Soft" landed in Canada via Detroit/Windsor land border. So I thought I will share my experience here. I will be as detailed as possible.

Even though I live in Detroit, I took a rental car. Took the 47 B exit, crossed the Ambassador bridge. As you go down the bridge, you will see workers at the toll assisting you to move to the appropriate lane. There are three lanes: Nexus, Car, and Truck. I moved to the car lane and waited in the line behind 5 cars. My turn came up in 15 minutes. Below was the conversation I had with officer inside tool booth (I stayed in the car):
O: Why are you here?
Me: I am here to land as Canadian PR.
O: Can you show me your Passport?
(I gave).
O: Are you bringing all your belongings today?
Me: Nope. I will get them later on.
O: Are you not moving permanently today?
Me: No, I will leave in a couple of days and come back in 3 months.

(I could have lied, but I chose not to because I did not bring any goods with me and car was empty which implied I am not moving permanently)

O: Are you bringing an gifts to friends and family in Canada?
Me: No, I am not. We just have personal stuffs like clothes and phones for two of us.
O: Is this your own car?
Me: No, this is a rental car.

Officer left his toll both with our passports and came back in 2 minutes. He gave our passports along with a yellow slip that mentions why we are here. He then directed us to the Canada Immigration building and asked us to wait in the parking lot and that an officer there would assist us.

Drove to the parking lot inside the immigration building. One of the CBSA officers came to our car. I gave him my passport and yellow slip. Then, he asked us to park the car. He gave back the documents and thee slip and asked us to go inside the immigration building. The inside of the office looked like a bank where the officers sat behind the glass. There was only one family when we arrived and they were siting in the waiting area watching TV. We went to the counter and gave our passports, COPR (both the copies) and yellow slip. Below was the conversation:

Officer saw the passports and COPR's and asked us a bunch of security (separately to my wife and I) related questions like "Do you have any criminal background, any case against you, and blah blah.) He then asked us to sit in the waiting area. He took our passports and came back in 10 minutes.

O: Do you have any goods that you are bringing in today?
Me: No.
O: Okay. Please initial and sign here. (on our COPR's)

We initialed and signed the COPR. Officer gave back client copy to us.

O: Officially you both are Permanent Residents from this moment. To meet the residency obligation, you need to physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in the next 5 years. You can ask me any question you have.

I took my phone to show the address for PR card and officer stopped me there and said.

O: You can call IRCC when you land here permanently and update your address for the PR card.
Me: Okay. Can I ask you another question?
O: Sure, Please.
Me: I prepared this "Good to follow" list. So do I need to get this signed today?
O: You don't need to. You can bring this list on the day you move permanently.
Me: I will be taking an U-Haul truck to move all my goods. Can I do that via land border after the expiry date on the Stamps? (I had confusion on the Expiry date on my stamping. So wanted to clarify if I can travel after that date)
O: Yes. The stamping on your passports is only good for one time entry. But you can use this signed COPR to enter Canada any time via land border. Next time when you move permanently, you can get the GTF list and come here so that we will clear those items in customs.
Me. Can I make multiple trips via land border before I move permanently because I may need to come to give Job interviews.
O: Yes, you can come in any number of times using the signed COPR and passports.
Me: Thank you officer for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.
O: You are welcome. Have a nice day.
Me: You too.
The officer was very friendly and the entire process took 20 minutes only.

Then, we left to Toronto to stay there a couple of days. We came back to US via same land border. We showed our passports.

O: Why are coming to US?
Me: I am on a H1B visa and came to Canada to complete the landing procedure for my Canadian PR.
O: Are you bringing any gifts from Canada?
Me: No. We just got few grocery and snacks.
O: Can you declare what grocery you have?
Me: Sure, I got fresh vegetables an fruits?
O: can you name them?
Me: Yes (and I named them).
O: Okay, you are good to go.

Then, we drove back to US.

Goods to Follow List and Goods to Accompany list:

There are two B4 forms:

1. BSF186 – Personal Effects Accounting Document (Goods to Accompany list)
The above document should be filled with list of things you are bringing to Canada while landing. Don't include things that you will bring later. I listed clothes for two of us, toiletries, our phones and an umbrella. Since they were personal items officers did not care to ask about the Goods to Accompany list. But better prepare the list to avoid hassle.

2. BSF186A - Personal Effects Accounting Document (list of imported goods) (Goods to follow list)

This is a very important list and this were you list all the items from innerwear to TV to furniture to car that you will importing into Canada when you finally move. First, I made an excel sheet with 24 Categories like Furniture's, home decors, my cloths, my footwears, my wife's clothes her footwear, jewelry, grocery, appliances, electronics. Under each category, I mentioned the items along with their serial numbers (if applicable) and price in CAD.

For example, under Electronics categories, I listed our phones, computers, earphones along with serial numbers and costs in each column.

For Jewelry, we weighed them and put the price of gold of the you are making the list. We also took the pictures of the jewelry.

So make the list as detailed as possible. Customs may or may not check but make sure you have serial numbers for all the electronics and receipts. I got few furniture from FB marketplace, so if they ask me for price, I plan on showing them the chat.

(I will update how it goes when I move permanently in few weeks)

Documents checklist:
To enter Canada:

1. Two COPR copies for my wife and I
2. Passports.
3. Proof of Finance ( They may not ask, but better carry.)

Additional docs that we carried but its up to you:
1. Original Marriage certificate.
2. Original Birth Certificate.

To reenter USA:
1. Passports. (I had stamped h1b visa)
2. I 797 original
3. Employer letter ( Old one that's was given to me during my stamping)
4. Last 3 pay stubs
5. Tax forms

(For US, carry what ever you can)

TIPS:
1. Be truthful about your move.
2. I did not need the PR card so did not care about it. But tried my luck, and it did not work.
3. Officers are there to help and not stop you from entering Canada. So don't be nervous. Make sure you have all the required documents. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. They will answer patiently.
4. I did not have access to internet (US sim did not work. It only worked after I reentered and crossed 0.3 miles from toll on the US side) so if you digital copies, save it to your phone or computers to access it offline.

USA vs Canada:
We went to Toronto to compare the prices of cloths, electronics, dry grocery and other items and see what we can get from US while moving permanently.

We went to COSTCO in Brampton (Bad choice).

Never seen such a crowded Costco in my life. 95% brown faces. Pretty much I saw all the stuffs I see in US Costco. Bread brands were different, fresh vegetables and fruits collections were different, milk was inside a bag not inside a plastic bottle. As assumed, Electronics were super super expensive and thank god, I have got most of them on ate last 50% lesser price in US and this Thanksgiving, I will load up more. Be sure t add them to you GTF follow list.

We explored Walmart (Scarborough) : Look very different, but as usual veggies/ fruits were fresh and cheaper. Crowded with (my) brown people.

Went to Indian grocery (Tamil shops). I just loved it there. From Indian greens to Indian vegetables to meat everything was fresh and cheap. Could see many things that I couldn't see even in Chicago or LA or NYC big Indian grocery shops. Curry leaves was 90% cheaper than US. Lamb was fresh and cheap. Lot of collections on Fish and they were fresh and cheap. Ghee and oil was 50% cheaper than US.

We went to the outlet mall and another premium mall in the city and compared the quality and price of the cloths and footwear and home goods. Just gonna load lots and lots of cloths, shoes, storage racks, office chairs, table, sofa and many other stuffs from US. Damn, its expensive in Canada and collections are mediocre.

(I will update this post as applicable)

Last edited:

Eva Green

Nov 8, 2022
Hi. I have a medicals from Sept 2020. And I got an ITA on Sept 28 2022. Do I need to get medicals done again? or can I use the same medicals?

I am asking this question because I read on the IRCC portal stating they accept Medicals that is 5 years old until Oct 2024 due to Pandemic.

Any one who submitted expired medicals?

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
So finally, my wife and I "Soft" landed in Canada via Detroit/Windsor land border. So I thought I will share my experience here. I will be as detailed as possible.

Even though I live in Detroit, I took a rental car. Took the 47 B exit, crossed the Ambassador bridge. As you go down the bridge, you will see workers at the toll assisting you to move to the appropriate lane. There are three lanes: Nexus, Car, and Truck. I moved to the car lane and waited in the line behind 5 cars. My turn came up in 15 minutes. Below was the conversation I had with officer inside tool booth (I stayed in the car):
O: Why are you here?
Me: I am here to land as Canadian PR.
O: Can you show me your Passport?
(I gave).
O: Are you bringing all your belongings today?
Me: Nope. I will get them later on.
O: Are you not moving permanently today?
Me: No, I will leave in a couple of days and come back in 3 months.

(I could have lied, but I chose not to because I did not bring any goods with me and car was empty which implied I am not moving permanently)

O: Are you bringing an gifts to friends and family in Canada?
Me: No, I am not. We just have personal stuffs like clothes and phones for two of us.
O: Is this your own car?
Me: No, this is a rental car.

Officer left his toll both with our passports and came back in 2 minutes. He gave our passports along with a yellow slip that mentions why we are here. He then directed us to the Canada Immigration building and asked us to wait in the parking lot and that an officer there would assist us.

Drove to the parking lot inside the immigration building. One of the CBSA officers came to our car. I gave him my passport and yellow slip. Then, he asked us to park the car. He gave back the documents and thee slip and asked us to go inside the immigration building. The inside of the office looked like a bank where the officers sat behind the glass. There was only one family when we arrived and they were siting in the waiting area watching TV. We went to the counter and gave our passports, COPR (both the copies) and yellow slip. Below was the conversation:

Officer saw the passports and COPR's and asked us a bunch of security (separately to my wife and I) related questions like "Do you have any criminal background, any case against you, and blah blah.) He then asked us to sit in the waiting area. He took our passports and came back in 10 minutes.

O: Do you have any goods that you are bringing in today?
Me: No.
O: Okay. Please initial and sign here. (on our COPR's)

We initialed and signed the COPR. Officer gave back client copy to us.

O: Officially you both are Permanent Residents from this moment. To meet the residency obligation, you need to physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in the next 5 years. You can ask me any question you have.

I took my phone to show the address for PR card and officer stopped me there and said.

O: You can call IRCC when you land here permanently and update your address for the PR card.
Me: Okay. Can I ask you another question?
O: Sure, Please.
Me: I prepared this "Good to follow" list. So do I need to get this signed today?
O: You don't need to. You can bring this list on the day you move permanently.
Me: I will be taking an U-Haul truck to move all my goods. Can I do that via land border after the expiry date on the Stamps? (I had confusion on the Expiry date on my stamping. So wanted to clarify if I can travel after that date)
O: Yes. The stamping on your passports is only good for one time entry. But you can use this signed COPR to enter Canada any time via land border. Next time when you move permanently, you can get the GTF list and come here so that we will clear those items in customs.
Me. Can I make multiple trips via land border before I move permanently because I may need to come to give Job interviews.
O: Yes, you can come in any number of times using the signed COPR and passports.
Me: Thank you officer for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.
O: You are welcome. Have a nice day.
Me: You too.
The officer was very friendly and the entire process took 20 minutes only.

Then, we left to Toronto to stay there a couple of days. We came back to US via same land border. We showed our passports.

O: Why are coming to US?
Me: I am on a H1B visa and came to Canada to complete the landing procedure for my Canadian PR.
O: Are you bringing any gifts from Canada?
Me: No. We just got few grocery and snacks.
O: Can you declare what grocery you have?
Me: Sure, I got fresh vegetables an fruits?
O: can you name them?
Me: Yes (and I named them).
O: Okay, you are good to go.

Then, we drove back to US.

Goods to Follow List and Goods to Accompany list:

There are two B4 forms:

1. BSF186 – Personal Effects Accounting Document (Goods to Accompany list)
The above document should be filled with list of things you are bringing to Canada while landing. Don't include things that you will bring later. I listed clothes for two of us, toiletries, our phones and an umbrella. Since they were personal items officers did not care to ask about the Goods to Accompany list. But better prepare the list to avoid hassle.

2. BSF186A - Personal Effects Accounting Document (list of imported goods) (Goods to follow list)

This is a very important list and this were you list all the items from innerwear to TV to furniture to car that you will importing into Canada when you finally move. First, I made an excel sheet with 24 Categories like Furniture's, home decors, my cloths, my footwears, my wife's clothes her footwear, jewelry, grocery, appliances, electronics. Under each category, I mentioned the items along with their serial numbers (if applicable) and price in CAD.

For example, under Electronics categories, I listed our phones, computers, earphones along with serial numbers and costs in each column.

For Jewelry, we weighed them and put the price of gold of the you are making the list. We also took the pictures of the jewelry.

So make the list as detailed as possible. Customs may or may not check but make sure you have serial numbers for all the electronics and receipts. I got few furniture from FB marketplace, so if they ask me for price, I plan on showing them the chat.

(I will update how it goes when I move permanently in few weeks)

Documents checklist:
To enter Canada:

1. Two COPR copies for my wife and I
2. Passports.
3. Proof of Finance ( They may not ask, but better carry.)

Additional docs that we carried but its up to you:
1. Original Marriage certificate.
2. Original Birth Certificate.

To reenter USA:
1. Passports. (I had stamped h1b visa)
2. I 797 original
3. Employer letter ( Old one that's was given to me during my stamping)
4. Last 3 pay stubs
5. Tax forms

(For US, carry what ever you can)

TIPS:
1. Be truthful about your move.
2. I did not need the PR card so did not care about it. But tried my luck, and it did not work.
3. Officers are there to help and not stop you from entering Canada. So don't be nervous. Make sure you have all the required documents. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. They will answer patiently.
4. I did not have access to internet (US sim did not work. It only worked after I reentered and crossed 0.3 miles from toll on the US side) so if you digital copies, save it to your phone or computers to access it offline.

USA vs Canada:
We went to Toronto to compare the prices of cloths, electronics, dry grocery and other items and see what we can get from US while moving permanently.

We went to COSTCO in Brampton (Bad choice).

Never seen such a crowded Costco in my life. 95% brown faces. Pretty much I saw all the stuffs I see in US Costco. Bread brands were different, fresh vegetables and fruits collections were different, milk was inside a bag not inside a plastic bottle. As assumed, Electronics were super super expensive and thank god, I have got most of them on ate last 50% lesser price in US and this Thanksgiving, I will load up more. Be sure t add them to you GTF follow list.

We explored Walmart (Scarborough) : Look very different, but as usual veggies/ fruits were fresh and cheaper. Crowded with (my) brown people.

Went to Indian grocery (Tamil shops). I just loved it there. From Indian greens to Indian vegetables to meat everything was fresh and cheap. Could see many things that I couldn't see even in Chicago or LA or NYC big Indian grocery shops. Curry leaves was 90% cheaper than US. Lamb was fresh and cheap. Lot of collections on Fish and they were fresh and cheap. Ghee and oil was 50% cheaper than US.

We went to the outlet mall and another premium mall in the city and compared the quality and price of the cloths and footwear and home goods. Just gonna load lots and lots of cloths, shoes, storage racks, office chairs, table, sofa and many other stuffs from US. Damn, its expensive in Canada and collections are mediocre.

(I will update this post as applicable)
Congratulations, I was able to provide my sister's address for PR card and the officer had no issues with that. We got our PR cards few weeks ago. I have T-mobile and had no issues using it in Canada, they offer free 5GB internet and free unlimited calls. You can also top up if you need more internet.

I was envious after experiencing their fresh produce and their Costco bakery section/food court is much better.

Last edited:

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Hi. I have a medicals from Sept 2020. And I got an ITA on Sept 28 2022. Do I need to get medicals done again? or can I use the same medicals?

I am asking this question because I read on the IRCC portal stating they accept Medicals that is 5 years old until Oct 2024 due to Pandemic.

Any one who submitted expired medicals?
They will ask you if they need new medicals.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Congratulations, I was able to provide my sister's address for PR card and the officer had no issues with that. We got our PR cards few weeks ago. I have T-mobile and had no issues using it in Canada, they offer free 5GB internet and free unlimited calls. You can also top up if you need more internet.

I was envious after experiencing their fresh produce and their Costco bakery section/food courr is much better.
Maybe I should have tried to convince the officer. Nevertheless, process was smoother than I expected. Now I understand the reason behind so many "Product of Canada" fresh produce in US stores.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Maybe I should have tried to convince the officer. Nevertheless, process was smoother than I expected. Now I understand the reason behind so many "Product of Canada" fresh produce in US stores.
I think you can still call IRCC and update your address to initiate the PR card process. Off course not binding :)

Reactions: RSub

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
I think you can still call IRCC and update your address to initiate the PR card process. Off course not binding :)
True, I can. The officer told me so too. I plan on doing that soon. Thank you.