+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Interview/Knowledge of Fraud

Feb 13, 2017
I'm currently going through the spousal sponsorship process and don't yet have my interview scheduled.

However, I know a someone who is also going through the same process who has lied on their application, has a criminal record, and is also working illegally for a family friend (their OWP was rejected). This person is, quite unfortunately, related to me by marriage.

I'm wondering if knowledge of the fraud could potentially impact my application if I stay silent and the government finds out or if I might be asked a question (e.g., do you know anyone who has committed fraud?) during the interview.

To my knowledge their application has been initially denied due to the criminal record, but they are appealing and hopeful that they will get it approved.

I'm not close with this person or condone their actions, but there's also familial politics and I don't want to cause/stir up drama unnecessarily. However, I need to do what's best for me and not put my application at risk.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is there legal precedence for denying an application based on knowledge of others' fraud?

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
@scylla @Hurlabrick @canuck_in_uk @zardoz @Rob_TO

Any ideas on this one?

Is it more a question of morality than actually causing issues with her application - as in reality it’s nothing to do with her, or her conduct in life?

Personally, I’d report it for peace of mind. Immigration is a privilege after all.

Reactions: littlewanderer

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm currently going through the spousal sponsorship process and don't yet have my interview scheduled.

However, I know a someone who is also going through the same process who has lied on their application, has a criminal record, and is also working illegally for a family friend (their OWP was rejected). This person is, quite unfortunately, related to me by marriage.

I'm wondering if knowledge of the fraud could potentially impact my application if I stay silent and the government finds out or if I might be asked a question (e.g., do you know anyone who has committed fraud?) during the interview.

To my knowledge their application has been initially denied due to the criminal record, but they are appealing and hopeful that they will get it approved.

I'm not close with this person or condone their actions, but there's also familial politics and I don't want to cause/stir up drama unnecessarily. However, I need to do what's best for me and not put my application at risk.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is there legal precedence for denying an application based on knowledge of others' fraud?
It won't affect your app but seriously, you should report this person. It is anonymous.