+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR in Canada, moving back to US, what do I need to do?

jimjam26

Jun 20, 2017
I'll try to make this brief.

• I landed in Canada on August 2018 on family visa to live with my wife.
  • My wife fell in love with a coworker this month (February 2019), and is insistent they are soulmates.
  • She insisted I stay, and we open our marriage. I told her no, I'm not comfortable with that.
  • I told her if she doesn't stop talking with him, we will separate.
  • She chose him. So I want a divorce.
Ive only been in Canada for less than 6 months. I haven't established myself here yet, don't have a job, and not many friends. No real reason to stay.

I want to move back to the USA, as I have a friend there offering me a job and place to stay. My parents are also offering a place to stay.

I realize that this likely means forfeiting my PR status and SIN.

What is the proper way to go about this? I have packed my bags and would like to leave within a week. But I just want to make sure I do everything the proper way, and inform CIC properly, so as to not cause any legal trouble.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
You just leave. If you cchoose to renew your pr status you have to meet the requirements of being here for so many days... no need to inform ircc of anything

jimjam26

Jun 20, 2017
You just leave. If you cchoose to renew your pr status you have to meet the requirements of being here for so many days... no need to inform ircc of anything
Is this true though? Because I'm finding conflicting information. Stuff saying you absolutely have to inform ircc of every change in marital status, address change, etc.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Is this true though? Because I'm finding conflicting information. Stuff saying you absolutely have to inform ircc of every change in marital status, address change, etc.
You need to do that while your PR application is in progress. Once you have landed, you no longer need to do that. You can just go back to the US on your own without updating IRCC. Note that you will still remain a PR. If you are away too long, you will be a PR who does not meet residency obligations. But you will still be a PR until IRCC explicitly strips it from you

jimjam26

Jun 20, 2017
You need to do that while your PR application is in progress. Once you have landed, you no longer need to do that. You can just go back to the US on your own without updating IRCC. Note that you will still remain a PR. If you are away too long, you will be a PR who does not meet residency obligations. But you will still be a PR until IRCC explicitly strips it from you
Oh ok. That's interesting. Well thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna talk to a lawyer or legal aid soon anyway. But that makes sense.

Thanks.

usr19

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Just want to also confirm what keesio said. Once you become PR you have no obligations whatsoever, and remain a PR until you've been away for too long. Sorry that happened to you.

momo2018

Jan 8, 2018
Oh ok. That's interesting. Well thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna talk to a lawyer or legal aid soon anyway. But that makes sense.

Thanks.
The rule is that you have to live in Canada for 2 years out of the last 5 years. So if you go back to the USA for 3 years or longer you will lose your PR. If it doesn't matter to you, you can just leave and forget about it. It will not affect you if youll want to visit Canada in the future. Thats a shitty situation to deal with. I would probably just leave too. Take care.

jimjam26

Jun 20, 2017
The rule is that you have to live in Canada for 2 years out of the last 5 years. So if you go back to the USA for 3 years or longer you will lose your PR. If it doesn't matter to you, you can just leave and forget about it. It will not affect you if youll want to visit Canada in the future. Thats a shitty situation to deal with. I would probably just leave too. Take care.
Thank you. That's good to know.

There's lots of opportunity in Canada, so I'm not sure I want to leave forever. But I also don't have any social support network here that isn't a friend of my wife. So it'll be a hard restart either way.