+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR if I work on a contract?

ValerieO

Mar 27, 2019
I'm just finishing up my degree at a university in canada and will be applying for PGWP in May. I've received a job offer in office administration (NOC 0) but its a contract position for a year - I will have to do my own taxes. Will this count as 1 year of skilled experience for me? Thanks.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I'm just finishing up my degree at a university in canada and will be applying for PGWP in May. I've received a job offer in office administration (NOC 0) but its a contract position for a year - I will have to do my own taxes. Will this count as 1 year of skilled experience for me? Thanks.
Of course! PGWP is the first step towards Permanent Residency as far as work experience is concerned for new foreign graduates in Canada. It's your key if you don't have any other work experience.
Sure, that 1 year of work experience can be claimed as long as it follows the experience validity criteria (Continuous, paid, Full-time at least at 30h/week...etc).
After completing 12 full months, you'll be applying under CEC, assuming you're eligible based on all other criteria.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
That's exactly what you need!

As long as you meet 1560 hours in the last 3 years, over a period of at least 12 months you will, in a year, be able to apply for PR.

I just reached that stage, my 1 year contract is ending in a couple weeks (counting the days to submit my profile) and I also got an extension for another year.

Best advice, start gathering your documents in advance so you don't just start doing in after getting your ITA.

Best!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Unfortunately, the previous replies seem to have missed the part about you paying your own taxes. This probably means that you will be considered self-employed, and the work experience will be considered "ineligible".

"Contract position" can mean different things.
1) You can have "contract employment" - the key word being "employment" - which is just a term-limited position (such as a one or two year contract), but usually includes employment benefits, and the employer makes the statutory deductions (pays the taxes); you receive a T4 at the end of the tax year. This is considered "employment" and is eligible.
2) You can be a "contractor" - AKA, independent contractor, consultant, and for tax purposes, sole proprietor. You pay your own taxes, you submit invoices, you receive a T4A at the end of the year. This is "self-employed," and not eligible.

This is the simple answer to a complex issue that includes employers inappropriately hiring workers as contractors instead of employees (sometimes called "dependent contractors" in some provinces, but deemed an inappropriate misclassification at the Federal level), tax headaches at federal and provincial levels, and other things you generally would want to avoid. But it also appears to be extremely common in some industries.

https://leckerslaw.com/contract-workers-and-taxes/
https://www.employmentlawtoday.com/article/37685-the-ever-increasing-liability-of-mischaracterizing-employees-as-contractors/

In general, if your employer/client treats you as an independent contractor, IRCC will exclude the work experience. There are options for attempting to reclassify your work experience as "employment" but it is not guaranteed, and you run the risk of angering your employer.

If your goal for your first year of employment is simply to qualify for CEC, I would pass on this opportunity, and find a true employment situation.

Reactions: scylla and atoroesp

dushyantk

Sep 11, 2019
That's exactly what you need!

As long as you meet 1560 hours in the last 3 years, over a period of at least 12 months you will, in a year, be able to apply for PR.

I just reached that stage, my 1 year contract is ending in a couple weeks (counting the days to submit my profile) and I also got an extension for another year.

Best advice, start gathering your documents in advance so you don't just start doing in after getting your ITA.

Best!
Isn't there a difference between doing your own taxes and paying your own taxes. It will be a huge liability on a company to do, i.e. file with CRA, taxes for each and every employee.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Isn't there a difference between doing your own taxes and paying your own taxes. It will be a huge liability on a company to do, i.e. file with CRA, taxes for each and every employee.
Yes. Everyone does their own taxes.

OP is most likely referring to paying his / her own taxes.

Mona18

Feb 18, 2020
Hi can tou please guide what was your result as i am also in the same boat

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019

Hey, I`m in a kind of same position as yourself. I work as an independent contractor (administrative assistant - NOC B) for 2 Realtors. I come to the office Mon-Fri (9-3) for 1 year now. I'd like to apply under CEC using this experience but I`m afraid of my application be refused.

Did you get approved under CEC?

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey, I`m in a kind of same position as yourself. I work as an independent contractor (administrative assistant - NOC B) for 2 Realtors. I come to the office Mon-Fri (9-3) for 1 year now. I'd like to apply under CEC using this experience but I`m afraid of my application be refused.

Did you get approved under CEC?

Thank you
How are you paid - tax deductions etc? Are you issued T4s? What does your contract state?

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
How are you paid - tax deductions etc? Are you issued T4s? What does your contract state?
Hey,
No, I did my own tax return. NO T4s. But the thing is I work at an office Mon-Fri, 9 to 3 every day for a year. I don't have any clients, I`m just the assistant of 2 Realtors. It's not what contracts in itself say, but the reality, day to day work life. This is why I`m thinking of applying and attach letters from my employer explaining what I do, that I use their equipment, my hours, hourly pay, etc. I just don't see a lot of cases like mine.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey,
No, I did my own tax return. NO T4s. But the thing is I work at an office Mon-Fri, 9 to 3 every day for a year. I don't have any clients, I`m just the assistant of 2 Realtors. It's not what contracts in itself say, but the reality, day to day work life. This is why I`m thinking of applying and attach letters from my employer explaining what I do, that I use their equipment, my hours, hourly pay, etc. I just don't see a lot of cases like mine.
You are considered self employed if you don’t receive T4s and don’t have taxes deducted and pay into CPP etc. They need to give you an employment letter (which is mandatory) on letterhead and signed that outlines your duties, salary and time worked. The letter needs to state that you were an employee of the real estate group.

Neha afroz

Dec 7, 2017
Hello

My name is Neha Afroz. I am in Manitoba since 2018. I was a student at Red River College. I completed 6 months of full time work experience with 24-7 Intouch. My status of employment is Full time (contract).
I just want to know if I am eligible for applying MPNP.
Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello

My name is Neha Afroz. I am in Manitoba since 2018. I was a student at Red River College. I completed 6 months of full time work experience with 24-7 Intouch. My status of employment is Full time (contract).
I just want to know if I am eligible for applying MPNP.
Thanks
What do the MPNP requirements state? Do you get T4s, have tax deduction etc.