+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR - How to get passport back from New Delhi

minnie1234

Jan 6, 2011
I have applied for PR with New Delhi office (India). On Dec'2010 I received a letter from CIC asking to submit my medicals & passport to New Delhi office.
Currently I am already in Canada. I completed my medicals here & doctor said that he would mail all the documents to respective office. After bit of investigation I sent my passport to India with my friend & fromt here she couriered it to CIC office in New Delhi.

Question -
1. When CIC stamps my visa & couriers it back to my indian address, how to get back my passport to Canada?
2. Can I ask an authorised person to get my passport to Canada from India?
3. Will CIC at new delhi question me that if I am currently in Canada how did I send my passport to New Delhi? Will it cause any trouble to my application?

Response appreciated!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
minnie1234 said:
Question -
1. When CIC stamps my visa & couriers it back to my indian address, how to get back my passport to Canada?
2. Can I ask an authorised person to get my passport to Canada from India?
Whoever is at your Indian address can arrange for someone traveling from India to Canada to bring the passport back for you - that is, get it back the same way you got it to India.
I know you are not supposed to send Indian passports by mail outside of the country, but could whoever gets your passport at your Indian address perhaps send it by courier to you in Canada? See if others have had no problem doing this first, though.
3. Will CIC at new delhi question me that if I am currently in Canada how did I send my passport to New Delhi? Will it cause any trouble to my application?
CIC will most likely not care - it is an Indian law, not a Canadian one. If they do ask, just tell them you had a friend take it to India for you.

minnie1234

Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply.
I would arrange someone to carry my passport back to Canada.
For this PR process I have a immigration consultant as my representative, but after discussing with them they were insisting me to get a Concent letter from Canadian High commision stating that - They are ok if i send my passport to India & stay here.
I tried my best to find out the Govt authority from whom I can request this letter, but unfortunately I coudn't find any.
Do you know if such letter is mandatory in support? If yes, from whom can I request that?

After submitting all these documents how long will it take to get my Visa stammped? As its really risky to live in another country w/o passport, though I have a valid work permit with me.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
minnie1234 said:
For this PR process I have a immigration consultant as my representative, but after discussing with them they were insisting me to get a Concent letter from Canadian High commision stating that - They are ok if i send my passport to India & stay here.
I tried my best to find out the Govt authority from whom I can request this letter, but unfortunately I coudn't find any.
Do you know if such letter is mandatory in support? If yes, from whom can I request that?
I don't think this letter is mandatory. Can you ask your immigration consultant what exactly he meant? If you send an email or letter to the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi explaining your situation and asking for a consent letter, they may send you one.

The High Commission in New Delhi is one of Canada's faster offices, so if everything is in order you shouldn't have to wait too long - at most a couple of months. Keep a photocopy of your passport in the meantime, even better if you get it notarized as a true copy.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canadianwoman said:
I don't think this letter is mandatory. Can you ask your immigration consultant what exactly he meant? If you send an email or letter to the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi explaining your situation and asking for a consent letter, they may send you one.

The High Commission in New Delhi is one of Canada's faster offices, so if everything is in order you shouldn't have to wait too long - at most a couple of months. Keep a photocopy of your passport in the meantime, even better if you get it notarized as a true copy.
New Delhi is not going to give you a letter of consent, to break India laws. I think that your "consultant" is really sure of what they are talking about. Letter of permission for some to hand carry the passport in/out of India is what is required.