Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-08-2017
Med's Done....
18-08-2017
Dear All,

Does anyone from any part of Canada have any idea if a Canadian Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant) can join the Canadian Forces as a Full-Time Medical Officer (Canadian Army specifically)? Any sort of guidance in this regard would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

R

rish888

Dear All,

Does anyone from any part of Canada have any idea if a Canadian Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant) can join the Canadian Forces as a Full-Time Medical Officer (Canadian Army specifically)? Any sort of guidance in this regard would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
As far as the applicable law goes, Permanent Residents who want to serve need to get a waiver from the citizenship requirement. These are granted when the PR's service would be in Canada's national interest.

Your best bet is to go to a recruiting officer and outline your situation. The recruiter should be able to guide you from there, including applying for a waiver etc.

dentoosh

May 25, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-08-2017
Med's Done....
18-08-2017
Thanks for the info Rish and Canuck. Hope the Recruiter helps!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should probably look into what it takes to be able to practice medicine in Canada as an international physician. It is a lengthy and expensive process with no guarantees unless you were trained in a few countries like many western European countries and Australia,

Reactions: sharedknowledge

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just realized I answered another question from the OP about dentistry. In Canada if you tell someone you are a doctor they will assume you are a physician not a dentist or someone with a PhD. I am not sure whether the Canadian armed forces have dentists as part of their team. I suspect dental services are outsourced into the community.

R

rish888

Just realized I answered another question from the OP about dentistry. In Canada if you tell someone you are a doctor they will assume you are a physician not a dentist or someone with a PhD. I am not sure whether the Canadian armed forces have dentists as part of their team. I suspect dental services are outsourced into the community.
Turns out they have a role called "Dental Officer" for dentists. The OP still has the not a citizen problem though.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Turns out they have a role called "Dental Officer" for dentists. The OP still has the not a citizen problem though.
Yes you are right. Think they struggle to recruit dentist who also want to serve. I know people in the services that seek dental care in the community. The OP isn't licensed in Canada either. By the time they get licensed they should be close to citizenship but they would also need to meet other qualifications like boot camp to enter the forces.

R

rish888

Yes you are right. Think they struggle to recruit dentist who also want to serve. I know people in the services that seek dental care in the community. The OP isn't licensed in Canada either. By the time they get licensed they should be close to citizenship but they would also need to meet other qualifications like boot camp to enter the forces.
Haven't read the Op's other post, but Canadian licenses are of course an essential. Add to this the requirement to get a waiver, as you said the OP would be better off waiting the 3 years then enlisting.

dentoosh

May 25, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-08-2017
Med's Done....
18-08-2017
Dear Canuck,
With utter dismay, I regret to inform that I just received an e-mail from the CAF Recruitment Dept saying that CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP is a MUST for joining the forces for all streams including Medical and Dental. Yes, they do have a Royal Canadian Army Dental Corps (here I'm specifically interested in the Army!) which recruits 'Dental Officers'. But Canadian Citizenship is the first entry ticket to the gateway of this elite job. I guess obtaining Canadian Citizenship would be the first thing to do. BTW I have served the Army of my own nation as a Dental Officer. So the 'Switch Over' won't have bothered me much. Thanks for all the info though :)

6327farag

May 12, 2013
Dear Canuck,
With utter dismay, I regret to inform that I just received an e-mail from the CAF Recruitment Dept saying that CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP is a MUST for joining the forces for all streams including Medical and Dental. Yes, they do have a Royal Canadian Army Dental Corps (here I'm specifically interested in the Army!) which recruits 'Dental Officers'. But Canadian Citizenship is the first entry ticket to the gateway of this elite job. I guess obtaining Canadian Citizenship would be the first thing to do. BTW I have served the Army of my own nation as a Dental Officer. So the 'Switch Over' won't have bothered me much. Thanks for all the info though :)
Stick with it mate skilled occupations in demand can receive a citizenship waiver, there is ex British military serving in the CAF. If you have prior military experience and are applying for a skilled occupation within the CAF it is possible. The bellow is not recent information it may have change but it is worth a shot:

Canadian Forces (CF) policy states that in order to be eligible for enrolment into the Forces, applicants must hold Canadian citizenship.

The only exception made to this policy is as follows:

- are not Canadian citizens, but do hold Permanent Resident Status; and
- possess specialized skills/qualifications the CF has need of and cannot fill with a Canadian citizen; and
- do not pose a risk to any national interest; may only be enrolled into the Canadian Forces if permission is granted by the Commander of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG).
As you do not currently hold Canadian citizenship you will have to be granted a Citizenship Waiver by the Commander of CFRG prior to starting any of the selection testing. In order to do this you must provide curriculum vitae (CV) or resume to:

Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters
Attention: SSO Selection
Canadian Forces Base Borden
PO Box 1000, Station Main
Borden, Ontario L0M 1C0

We will be responding to applicants who apply for occupations that are open for intake at this time and who have experience in those fields. Your submission should have a cover letter indicating which Canadian Forces occupation you are applying for and highlighting the experience relevant to that occupation. Please include your return address in order that we may contact you.

Your CV/resume should include the following information:

Personal Information
- Name (in full)
- Date and place of birth
- Brief outline of where you lived (include dates)
- Where your immediate family is currently residing (include parent, siblings, spouse and parents-in-law)
- Reasons for your relocation to Canada
- Date of arrival in Canada and date you were granted Permanent Resident Status

Education
- Name of all educational institutions attended
- Grade/Level completed and year of completion
- Diplomas/Degrees awarded
- Areas of specialization
- Marks/Grade Point Average
- Apprenticeship/Journeyman qualifications

Employment
- List all part-time, summer or full-time employment positions you have held
- Dates for each position
- Brief description of duties for each position
- Qualifications or training you received “on-the-job”

Activities
- List all volunteer positions you may have held
- List all clubs/organizations/community groups you have belonged to
If there are any other points, or pertinent facts you would like to include, please feel free to do so.
Once you have submitted your CV/resume, it will be assessed by the Headquarters to determine what skills you possess
that may be of benefit to the Canadian Forces. You will not undergo any of the selection testing until you have been granted
this Citizenship waiver.

Reactions: dentoosh

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The big issue is that OP and his wife are not licensed dentists in Canada and have to go through the licensing process at a college of dentistry. Technically they have no specialized skills to offer at this point. Once they complete the licensing requirements they could contact the Canadian Forces and see whether the citizenship requirements might be waived.

dentoosh

May 25, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-08-2017
Med's Done....
18-08-2017
Thanks for all the motivating and vital info mate (@farag). I hope something works out in this regard. Keeping my fingers crossed ;)