+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Holder To Be - Will I be eligible for COVID 19 CERB?

MapleVivi

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hi folks,

I have applied for my PR outside of Canada and am hoping to get in within a half a year to a year.

I am very much concerned though about the job market when I land in Canada with my PR status.
I know that the living cost is through the roof, and my savings would help me survive with no job for just a few months.

My question is: if I can never find a job that pays my expenses, will I be eligible for the COVID 19 benefits? I am guessing not, and in that case, is there any other financial support I could apply for?

Thank you tons in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi folks,

I have applied for my PR outside of Canada and am hoping to get in within a half a year to a year.

I am very much concerned though about the job market when I land in Canada with my PR status.
I know that the living cost is through the roof, and my savings would help me survive with no job for just a few months.

My question is: if I can never find a job that pays my expenses, will I be eligible for the COVID 19 benefits? I am guessing not, and in that case, is there any other financial support I could apply for?

Thank you tons in advance!
The short answer is no on the CVOID-19 benefits. The COVID-19 benefits (CERB) are specifically for people who lost their jobs in Canada due to COVID-19 and earned at least $5,000 in Canada in the 12 months before COVID-19 started. You won't meet these requirements.

When you immigrate to Canada, you are required to show proof of funds since this is the money you will use to settle in Canada. Once you have burned through these funds, you may qualify for welfare / social assistance. However this is very little money and won't give you a good living.

Reactions: MapleVivi

MapleVivi

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
The short answer is no on the CVOID-19 benefits. The COVID-19 benefits (CERB) are specifically for people who lost their jobs in Canada due to COVID-19 and earned at least $5,000 in Canada in the 12 months before COVID-19 started. You won't meet these requirements.

When you immigrate to Canada, you are required to show proof of funds since this is the money you will use to settle in Canada. Once you have burned through these funds, you may qualify for welfare / social assistance. However this is very little money and won't give you a good living.
Thanks so much for your prompt and precise reply!

Do you know how much an individual would receive through welfare in BC and ON?

And also, I've applied for my PR through the Canadian Experience Class stream. I believe I was not required to show them my proof of funds, but on the document checklist page in my immigration account, I was asked to do so. Will I be required to do so at the airport?

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks so much for your prompt and precise reply!

Do you know how much an individual would receive through welfare in BC and ON?

And also, I've applied for my PR through the Canadian Experience Class stream. I believe I was not required to show them my proof of funds, but on the document checklist page in my immigration account, I was asked to do so. Will I be required to do so at the airport?

Thank you!
Ontario works is approximately 1K/month. It may not be the ideal time to resettle in Canada. You have 5 years to to meet your RO.

https://www.toronto.ca/community-people/employment-social-support/employment-support/employment-seekers-in-financial-need/ontario-works-rates/

Reactions: MapleVivi

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
cant believe my tax dollars are going towards these handouts. wow.
Hopefully OP will realize that it will be extremely difficult to live on Ontario works and will delay moving to Canada until the job market is better. On a positive note OP is enquiring before coming to Canada. Hopefully the realization that they will qualify for very little support will cause OP to reassess their plans..

Smitbhavsar

Star Member
Mar 30, 2018
Hello, my name smit and i am there in clagary working as assistant physiotherapists in one clinic. I was doing part time job and i started doing job from dec 2019 . My income till date is 3500 CAD. Now. Due to corona the clinic had been closed and i am sitting at home. Although they are planning to open clinic in April depending upon situation. Clinic had been closed since 27th of march. am I eligible for CBAR. Please help me

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, my name smit and i am there in clagary working as assistant physiotherapists in one clinic. I was doing part time job and i started doing job from dec 2019 . My income till date is 3500 CAD. Now. Due to corona the clinic had been closed and i am sitting at home. Although they are planning to open clinic in April depending upon situation. Clinic had been closed since 27th of march. am I eligible for CBAR. Please help me
Do you mean CERB? If yes, no you don’t seem to qualify. You never know if that will change.

Towhid07

Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone.
So if i applied for CERB now for COVID-19 will it be any issue in future when i applied for PR?
I am just worried that if i take CERB benefit now it will be a problem for my PR application in future. Can any one answer me this question?
Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone.
So if i applied for CERB now for COVID-19 will it be any issue in future when i applied for PR?
I am just worried that if i take CERB benefit now it will be a problem for my PR application in future. Can any one answer me this question?
Thank you
No issues for PR.