+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR holder having no travel documents

Starner

Nov 4, 2022
Hello, hope everyone is good. Help me out please. I was a refugee, got accepted in 2019 and got PR in 2021 march month. Immigration sent my home country passport this year which is expired already. I have no Travel document (RTD), now, i am willing to visit other countries, for example usa. Which document i need to visit or get visa. Should i renew my home country passport or I'm able to apply refugee travel documents (I'm permanent resident now) or what. Please suggest

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Apply for RTD. Do not renew or use your home country passport since you are a protected person.
You need to search to see if you can get Visitor visa for US with RTD.

Or some members here know and have applied for US visitor visa with RTD can reply.

Starner

Nov 4, 2022
@YVR123 Thank you for the suggestion, but i have a question regarding RTD since i have pr and no longer being considered as a refugee or protected person. I saw in cic that another document is there available called certificate of identity. please suggest. Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
@YVR123 Thank you for the suggestion, but i have a question regarding RTD since i have pr and no longer being considered as a refugee or protected person. I saw in cic that another document is there available called certificate of identity. please suggest. Thanks
According to the link from IRCC, they decide which type of document to issue.
And I saw someone posted about expiring US visitor visa on their RTD. So I think in general US accept RTD.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/apply-who.html

Once we receive your application, we decide
  • which type of travel document to give you
  • how long it will be valid for
You cannot use these documents to travel to your country of citizenship.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
btw. I saw an immigraiton lawyer website posted the same information on their Q&A section.
so for PR who was accepted as conversional refugee, you use the same form to apply. And IRCC decide which type of travel document (RTD or CI) will be issued.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you so much.i think I will consult with a lawyer, it might give more knowledge.
I thought the IRCC website already explained it. You apply via the same application form/page. And they decide on which type of document to issue.
Maybe others can provide some answer (experience) as well.
Not sure if an immigration lawyer can make much difference unless your case is not as straight forward as you provided here.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You are considered Permanent Resident with Protected Status until when you become a Citizen or you cease to be a PP. Your PR Category is REF-CAN class CR06. Just to clear that when you wrote "Since i have PR and no longer being considered a refugee or PP". You are considered as PR from Conventional Refugee Class and it is attached to your Protected Status

Regarding what document; you are eligible for RTD and not COI....

Read below

Certificates of identity are issued to permanent residents of Canada who are not protected persons and are stateless or cannot obtain a national passport or travel document from any other source. These documents are only issued in Canada.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Simba112 thanks for that info. So, still i can apply for RTD?
Depending on the country you will either be able to enter with your RTD, with your RTD and a visa (if you are approved) and some countries do not allow entry with an RTD. You can look online or contact a country‘s embassy to confirm what are the requirements to travel to the country with an RTD. The US, for example, has a huge backlog for appointments for visa application/interviews. I would apply as soon as possible if you are interested in visiting the US. As already noted you are always considered a protected person until you get Canadian citizenship just now a protected person with PR status.