+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR holder currently living outside Canada - Limit of money I could carry while v

gd

May 9, 2009
Hi experts,

Can you guys let me know if there is a maximum limit of CAD in cash for a valid PR holder currently residing outside Canada could bring in when he travel via airport.

The purpose of my visit is to enrol my son in a Canadian University. I intend carrying the university fees in cash as I do not hold a bank account in Canada currently. I don't want to bring in a bank draft and wait until the money is received in a Canadian Bank account (I am sure this takes approx a week) because I intend to travel just before the university opens for fall term and need to make the payment immediately upon arrival. I am hoping to bring approx 15K for all the expenses (university fees approx 10K, accomodation, food etc) as well as for opening a bank account for the use of my son.

Please confirm :
a) if this will be an issue with immigration officials at the airport,
b) Whether I have to declare that I am carrying this much money,
c) What documents I need to bring in to show them for proof of income or expenses with that money etc.

Regards

gd

bestpal

Aug 5, 2010
Dubai
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0111 Financial Controller
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2009
Doc's Request.
14-01-2010
AOR Received.
2nd on 25-06-2010
IELTS Request
8 Bands
File Transfer...
20-01-2010
Med's Request
06-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
30-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
PPs sent 05-11-2012! Visas stamped 15-11-2012 recd PPs back on 01-Dec-2012
LANDED..........
20 January 2013;,as God willed! Thank God for mercies!
Hi gd,

a & b) If you are taking cash (or equivalent) above CAD 10K with you then you MUST inform the immigration Official at the Airport/Point of entry.
If your son has an interim admission from a particular University then, I feel, you should carry a Bank Draft favouring the University (as prescribed). This will be safer and tension-free, but nevertheless you still have to inform the Imgrtn Official about the Draft.
c) Just take your recent Bank Statement or withdrawal/ Draft application copy to substantiate.

Hope the above is helpful. :)