+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR help needed

Theo_S

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am trying to create the best time table for me in order to Apply for Permanent residency and to be sure that everything goes right.

My problem is that I can't find out how exactly to proceed.

My status: I moved to Canada (Quebec) as an international student and at the moment I am on a post-graduate work visa which is going to expire in the Mid of September (My passport is expiring also that date) For the last year I have a full-time job on the in the same field as my studies and also I am in a common in-law relationship.
At this moment I am waiting to receive my VJO and right after I will apply for PR through the Quebec skilled worker.

If anyone knows please let me know how it more correct to proceed.
for example:
Apply for PR (this might take over a year and take into consideration that my visa and my passport are going to expire in September)
Apply for Openwork Visa (Because my visa is expiring I think I should do it way in advance.)
Renew my passport a couple of months before it expires and then request a modification of the open work visa.

Is this order correct?

Thank you in advance

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So have you investigated renewing your passport now and not leaving until last minute . Not saying you should necessarily do this before you decide your PR route but asking the question.

You say you are in a common law, is this with a citizen or a PR or just another temporary visa/ work permit holder ? Not sure what yo7 mean by apply for an open work visa, do you expect to get an LMIA approved ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Theo_S

Theo_S

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
So have you investigated renewing your passport now and not leaving until the last minute. Not saying you should necessarily do this before you decide your PR route but asking the question.

You say you are in common law, is this with a citizen or a PR or just another temporary visa/ work permit holder? Not sure what yo7 mean by applying for an open work visa, do you expect to get an LMIA approved?
Thank you for your reply!
Changing my passport now might be complicated because I read that it takes up to two months to get a new one. One of these days I am expecting to receive my VJO, It's the only document I am missing before in order to complete my profile on ARRIMA.
Also, another fact that it might be more complicated to renew my passport before applying is that I have many documents that I will have to change probably right after receiving the new one because they are linked to the current passport.

My common in law partner is a citizen (Quebec). And I have a question on that also. When I will be uploading my documents on ARRIMA should I add her in my profile as an accompanying or just mention check the choice that I am in common in law and that s all.

Regarding your last question--> Right now I have a post-graduate visa which expires in September and I am already working full time for the last one year.
But I am not sure about what kind of visa I should apply next. For sure I will need one as I will have to wait until next year for my PR if everything goes well but I can't figure out how should I proceed with that.

Thank you in advance