+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for US-born dependant - PR parents

jonz

Mar 21, 2013
Hi. my wife and I have PR status. my wife gave birth to our daughter in USA. she also got a birth certificate from Egypt after we returned. until now we haven't settled in Canada. will be doing so in the coming year hopefully. my wife and kid live in Egypt now. now i am in a quick visit for two months in Canada to look for a job. however, i have some Qs to help me decide on our next step:

1- do i apply for my kid with Egyptian or USA citizenship to get her PR status?
2- what are the online links for the applications?
3- does the application differ depending on whether we reside in Canada or Egypt?
4- if it differs...meaning i file an application for her now from inside Canada as I'm here, and then return back to Egypt for some time....will this be an issue?
5- will my daughter have trouble on the border when she gets in with US passport along with her PR mother?

Thanks..Jonz

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
jonz said:
Either would be OK. Using the USA citizenship would probably be faster.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp
3- does the application differ depending on whether we reside in Canada or Egypt?
You are a PR, so have to sponsor while you are living in Canada. I think if you are sponsoring a child, you have to be in Canada anyway.
4- if it differs...meaning i file an application for her now from inside Canada as I'm here, and then return back to Egypt for some time....will this be an issue?
You can't do this. You have to stay in Canada during the processing of the application. Short trips out of Canada, such as for two or three weeks, are OK. Long trips, such as 6 months, are not.
5- will my daughter have trouble on the border when she gets in with US passport along with her PR mother?
I'm not sure about this. I would send in her sponsorship papers as soon as possible, then when the mother brings her to Canada, make sure she has a copy of these papers/the fee receipt/the letter approving you as a sponsor (ideally all of these, though one may be enough).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jonz said:
Hi. my wife and I have PR status. my wife gave birth to our daughter in USA. she also got a birth certificate from Egypt after we returned. until now we haven't settled in Canada. will be doing so in the coming year hopefully. my wife and kid live in Egypt now. now i am in a quick visit for two months in Canada to look for a job. however, i have some Qs to help me decide on our next step:

Thanks..Jonz
Hi

1. USA would be the better choice

2. Get started at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

3 and 4. Because you are PR and not citizens, you MUST RESIDE IN CANADA FOR THE ENTIRE PROCESS. You can leave for holidays (ie. a few weeks within a 6 month period) but you would not be able to apply and then go to Egypt for an extended period of time.

5. Your daughter can be admitted visa-exempt for 6 months as a tourist on her US passport. As long as you show the that you've applied to sponsor her or explain that you will be sponsoring her as soon as you enter, it should be fine. The tourist visa can be extended until the PR comes through. However, there is no guarantee that she will be allowed in, as a requirement for a tourist visa is to be able to show that she will leave at the end of the 6 months. In situations such as yours, usually that is not enforced