+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for Spouse

vendetta101

Mar 2, 2014
Hello All,

Thanks for your help in advance.. have a question related to Spouse WP. My story is as follows:

1. I am currently graduating from University of Toronto and my student visa expires in Nov '14
2. I have recently got married and my spouse is working in our home country.
3. Upon graduation I would be applying for Provincial Nomination Program (PNP) for PR and would like to show my spouse as dependent.

Following are the questions which I have:
A. Can I name my spouse as dependent ?
B. Does my spouse need to be in the canada when I apply for our PR ?
C. In case me and my spouse get the PR - does she need to apply for a Work Permit separately?
D. Does she need to provide her IELTS scores along with the PR application in case she would be working in Canada post the PR?

Alternatively, Point E - Can my spouse apply for a Open Work Permit as soon as she lands in Canada (provided she comes over here on TRV).. Is there a cooling period or a qualification period before she is eligible for OWP application?

Apologies to bombard with all these questions.. Just want to ensure which is the best possible option.

Once again.. appreciate all the help...

thanks everyone.

Regards
Ven

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Please post your question in this section:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/provincial-nomination-program-immigration-b6.0/
:)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A. Yes, you can and should name your spouse as a dependent. Just make sure you list your status as married and mention your wife on anything you apply for by immigration until then, say if you apply for a post grad work permit for example.

B. No, your spouse doesn't have to be in Canada when you apply for your PR.

C. If your spouse gets PR, she will not need a work permit at all. A PR is free to live in Canada, work and study as they please.

D. You usually do not have to provide IELTS for your spouse. There may be some cases where you may get points for your spouse if you do.

E. If you prefer your wife to join you now, she can try applying for an open work permit based on your study permit. I do not know if it will affect her eligibility that you are graduating. The permit would usually be valid as long as your permit. After you transition to a PG work permit, you would have to provide a job letter proving that your position is skilled in order for your spouse to be able to get an open permit based on your permit. However, if your wife is considered to be a risk of overstay, there is no guarantee that she will be able to get a TRV or an open work permit. In that case, you should wait until you have your PNP nomination and then try to apply for her again as PNP nominees tend to be exempted from overstay issues.

vendetta101

Mar 2, 2014
Thanks Leon for the quick reply.

Have a quick follow up question, again appreciate your help in advance..

In case she applies and gets a TRV (From her home country) and on top of that I apply for a OPW on her behalf from Canada would this be considered in bad light by the CIC. The reason I put it this way is that I do not want any issues with my PNP and this might seem to be a farfetched question however, but would like to hear your views on this.

So Lets say she submits all the necessary documents with the proof from her company that she is going to join back after her leaves expires. Then on top of the TRV which she has recently got if I apply for an OPW on her behalf, (irrespective of the outcome) does CIC consider this in bad light that she has gone back on her words of not overstaying in Canada ?

Might sound like a bit absurd question however, an insight on this topic would be grateful - don't want to break any rules that would affect our PNP / PR chances.

Regards
Ven

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't really see a difference between her applying for a TRV or an OWP from home. If she is considered a risk of overstay, I don't think they are any more likely to give her a TRV over an OWP.

However, if you prefer it, she can apply for a TRV and come visit you and then you can apply for an OWP from inside Canada. This is not seen in a bad light because she is eligible for it and she isn't overstaying.

Regardless of the outcome, it will not affect your PNP. Being denied a temporary visa due to risk of overstay can not affect a PR application because a PR has no overstay issues.