+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for parents 2022

rules87

Jul 21, 2021
Hi everyone,

i wanted to put PR file for my parents in 2022. Please help me, i have few doubts.
how much income i need to show ?
My husband and I are on PR.
do i have to show income for 2 people or for 4 people ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

i wanted to put PR file for my parents in 2022. Please help me, i have few doubts.
4 people assuming you have no children.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

We have no idea what the program will look like next year and there is always significantly more demand than supply. Would plan on trying but make sure you aren’t promising your parents that they will be sponsored next year. In general, parent sponsorship is never guaranteed. We are also heading into an election which also may impact the program. If you meet LICO for your family size (looks like at least 5 people if you’re having a baby soon) your agents can visit for a longer period of time with a supervisa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did they open accepting applications for parents PR?
No new expressions of interest will be accepted this year. The draw will be conducted from the pool of expressions of interest submitted last year.

Gset

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
No new expressions of interest will be accepted this year. The draw will be conducted from the pool of expressions of interest submitted last year.
Ok and any idea when they wl start accepting new expressions of interest? Any particular month they open every year?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok and any idea when they wl start accepting new expressions of interest? Any particular month they open every year?
It will be sometime in 2022. We don't know when.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In general parent sponsorship is never guaranteed and there is always huge demand for limited spots so you can’t count on parent sponsorship. Many people are under the false impression that after meeting 3 years of LICO their parents will be able to get PR and move to Canada. In reality it usually takes much longer. Some parents arrive on supervisa with no plans on returning home and are shocked when they are eventually denied a visitor extension and must return home. There were also plans to change the program but due to covid they returned to the old system. Would hope for the best but make sure you are not making plans thinking PR is guaranteed and guaranteed in a certain time frame.

Gset

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
In general parent sponsorship is never guaranteed and there is always huge demand for limited spots so you can’t count on parent sponsorship. Many people are under the false impression that after meeting 3 years of LICO their parents will be able to get PR and move to Canada. In reality it usually takes much longer. Some parents arrive on supervisa with no plans on returning home and are shocked when they are eventually denied a visitor extension and must return home. There were also plans to change the program but due to covid they returned to the old system. Would hope for the best but make sure you are not making plans thinking PR is guaranteed and guaranteed in a certain time frame.
No I understand none of Canada immigration programs are certain. Will manage with supervisa (2-5 yrs) until get a PR

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No I understand none of Canada immigration programs are certain. Will manage with supervisa (2-5 yrs) until get a PR
Remaining in Canada for 5 years on a supervisa is pretty rare. Supervisa is still a visitor visa and I have seen that there has been more extension denials after a certain point. Assume too many parents were essentially moving to Canada on their supervisa and Would not leave if extensions were denied. Many are able to extend for another year but after 3 years many aren’t granted another year or 2. It is currently taking 2 years to sponsor a parent if you get selected. You say you understand that none of the immigration programs are guaranteed but you plan depends on being able to extend a supervisa long enough for a parent to get selected for PGP and get COPR. That is usually not a realistic plan. Many have waited 5+ years to get selected for PGP after meeting LICO for 3 years which means 8+ years. There is also a lot of pressure to prioritize parents who have applied for many years which will also work against you. Your parents need to have a plan for if/when they need to return home.

Gset

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
Remaining in Canada for 5 years on a supervisa is pretty rare. Supervisa is still a visitor visa and I have seen that there has been more extension denials after a certain point. Assume too many parents were essentially moving to Canada on their supervisa and Would not leave if extensions were denied. Many are able to extend for another year but after 3 years many aren’t granted another year or 2. It is currently taking 2 years to sponsor a parent if you get selected. You say you understand that none of the immigration programs are guaranteed but you plan depends on being able to extend a supervisa long enough for a parent to get selected for PGP and get COPR. That is usually not a realistic plan. Many have waited 5+ years to get selected for PGP after meeting LICO for 3 years which means 8+ years. There is also a lot of pressure to prioritize parents who have applied for many years which will also work against you. Your parents need to have a plan for if/when they need to return home.
When I said 2-5 years, I meant traveling to home country every 1.5 years and returning in couple of months. I don’t plan to apply extension until it’s really required. Maybe 3-4 such trips to home country are manageable until parents get a PR. Hope this should be safe and not against immigration norms.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When I said 2-5 years, I meant traveling to home country every 1.5 years and returning in couple of months. I don’t plan to apply extension until it’s really required. Maybe 3-4 such trips to home country are manageable until parents get a PR. Hope this should be safe and not against immigration norms.
As long as they are spending enough time outside of Canada they should be fine staying in Canada for 1.5 years then being in their home country for 6 months for example. Parents are never guaranteed PR and there are plenty of examples of people not being selected after applying for 5 years. Apply and hope for the best but you can’t have a firm plan or make promises to your parents when PGP is not guaranteed.