Oct 1, 2013
Cairo
Visa Office......
Cairo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I know this question might have been asked before but I couldn't find a clear answer and I hope someone can help.
I landed in Canada in July 2015 and finished my paper work and left and I have never been back since (I have my PR card, driving license, bank account, SIN)
Now I want to know when is the final date that I have to return to Canada so as not to lose my PR. I know I have to do 730 days in 5 years in Canada so what I am wondering is, do I have to be back in Canada before July 2018 in order not to lose my PR status ?
What if I return in 2019 (my card expires 2020) ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your PR card expiry date doesn't matter. If you don't return before July 2018 you could be reported when you land and the process to revoke your PR could begin.

Bondo2

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Cairo
Visa Office......
Cairo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your PR card expiry date doesn't matter. If you don't return before July 2018 you could be reported when you land and the process to revoke your PR could begin.
Do they check at the port of entry when was my last exit from Canada and how many days I stayed in Canada ?. Just wondering how will they know that I haven't stayed in Canada for the past 3 years in order to report me.
The second question is, if I return again in July 2018 will I be able to travel for short trips (like a couple of week for home visit) ?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Do they check at the port of entry when was my last exit from Canada and how many days I stayed in Canada ?
When you make your customs declaration (either on the form or using the new touch-screen kiosks) you will be asked for the date you left Canada. a CBSA officer at the Primary Inspection Line could then refer you to secondary where you will have to explain your absence. Lying on this form and in effect to a CBSA officer (your declaration is a legal document) could complicate things and you could be flagged for misrepresentation.

Besides that, CBSA keeps detailed records of entries into Canada, and they have started to collect exit information. There's a chance they will be able to see your travel movements as soon as they scan your passport and/or PR card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do they check at the port of entry when was my last exit from Canada and how many days I stayed in Canada ?. Just wondering how will they know that I haven't stayed in Canada for the past 3 years in order to report me.
The second question is, if I return again in July 2018 will I be able to travel for short trips (like a couple of week for home visit) ?
You will only be able to take vacations if you enter Canada earlier. No matter what you have to be in Canada for 730 days.