+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expires in September 2020 730 days condtion to renew PR Card

Dragon424

Sep 19, 2018
Dear Friends
I shall be highly grateful if an expert opinion is given on my specific situation as under:

• arrived in Canada in 2015 and left after 37 days
  • Now I again came in Canada at the end of July 2018. At the time of entry the Immigration officer said that you would hardly complete your mandatory stay of 730 days within validity of PR Card and I would not allow you to enter next time if leave without completing your stay of 730 days.
  • Because of my family commitments need to go back at least 2 to 3 times within validity of PR card i.e. September 2020 for total 30 - 45 days.
  • I will try to complete 730 days within validity of my PR card for its renewal but if I could not stay for 730 days, what would happen?
  • Can I be denied entry by Immigration Officer within validity of my PR Card?
  • what would be procedure to renew my PR or to get citizenship in this case?
Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but the fact that CBSA mentioned to you that you could have an issue meeting your RO could possibly mean, although I have no knowledge if likely, you have been flagged for scrutiny next time you enter the country.

PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked.

Although I have no inside information It would be unusual for a PR to be denied entry simply for failing RO or about to , but what is more likely if you have actually failed the RO would be you would be advised the process to revoke your PR status will be started subject to appeal. If you either do not appeal or an appeal fails you will be given a time when you would need to leave Canada and no longer be a PR.

The 730 days in the first 5 years must be met from the initial landing date so PR card validity is irrelevant. Assuming Sept 2020 is your PR card expiry then assumption would be your initial landing was around July 2015 so you need to accumulate 730 days by June/ July 2020.

Whilst your PR card is still valid you can of course still travel back to Canada but each time you enter you might get more scrutiny on how you intend to meet the RO, there is no way to predict an outcome as that would depend on the CBSA officer at the time, could be they initiate the revoke process, could even be nothing happens,

As far as renewing a PR card this should not be attempted until you can show 730 days residency, preferably more in the 5 years preceding any application given not meeting RO could start process to revoke PR. Same goes for applying for a PRTD once the PR card has expired. As for citizenship you need 1095 days physical residence in Canada in the. 5 years preceding application.

Ultimately the more times you exit/ enter Canada where it appears you cannot meet the RO obligation that you signed up for your PR status could be at risk.

Last edited: