+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expired

phina1970

Jun 21, 2012
Leon, My husband is a Lead Mechanical Engineer, even at 54 he still has plenty of career time ahead of him. He was one of the first to get laid off at what we thought was the "peak" of the recession in Feb 09' ... fe months he did find another position, parlty sibsidized by the public sector, at a 35% pay cut. ges contued working there since. However, the horrible economy in the U.S. has the "middle class" struggling immensely, and Boston is not immune and just as expensive as it always has been. Our life style in Canada would be alot better, better schools for our children, better affordable healthcare, more jobs. If we are going to be "middle class", (I have resigned myself to the fact that I am part of that struggling middle class now), Canada is where we need to be. Life post divorce is about a new life, a new start. I cannot think of a better place to call home, than Canada. I have always loved Canada and want to live here permanently with my family. It was my ex husband who wanted to be in the U.S.A. My husband and I have alot to offer Canada, it's not only the other way around. He's a top notch Engineer, and I have lots of business experience and an RN license.
The reason I didn't deal with the PR issue back then, is because I was 1st-frightened out of my "wits" at the experience, it was truly a horrible experience. and #2 the new immigration rules came out and I was with my "citizen" ex husband in the U.S. throughout the whole divorce, my divorce attorney couldn't get my ex husband to hand over my documents-belongings ( I am sure I can get letter from her if needed), I was truly stuck. Not only that, we had 2 protective orders against him for my own safety. If I am given the chance and my file seems fine, I will remain here and apply for my PR card when it is appropriate to do so.

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
Your story is starting to take on the appearance of 'protesting to much'.

Time to stop the diatribe.

Apply for a PR card if you want a definitive answer to status held in Canada. Stop hiding behind history and fear etc. You will either be issued a PR card that allows you all privilege of a PR in Canada or be found to have no status and required to depart as a foreign national and apply again.

No one here can tell you any further based on your information alone where you stand.

Good luck to you. One hopes it all works out favourably for you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years, apply to renew your PR card and sponsor your husband. If you don't, then you should wait.

phina1970

Jun 21, 2012
Yes Leon, Thats what I plan to do. I am under the radar here in Canada I guess , untill I start working I didn't have landing papers to come on at the time, thru the border (private vehicle). I didn't come on a passport but my birth certificate and license ID. Not sure how I can document my presence here if they go by the passport. but hope working, my bank statements, few dr appt bills, ect. retro tax assessments will be enough. My u.s. passport is on my new married name, I can show them that but it has no stamp from canada. I will live and here and just keep bills, reciepts, etc. Just waiting on a copy of my file now.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't really have to be under the radar as your PR was never revoked which means you are still a PR. As long as you have a SIN, you can work. However, if you don't meet the residency requirements, you can not apply to renew your PR card right now because then you will draw attention to the fact that you do not meet them and might lose your PR.

phina1970

Jun 21, 2012
Leon, believe me I don't want to be under the radar, justthat in 2006-2008 when I came back here, I certainly didn't want my ex to locate me. I also didn't have anyth8ing no paper work to open a bank acct or work. These things took alot of time, had to even go back to Boston several trips to get my old documents my old U.S. expired passport and such to prove to immigration my identity for them to send me a true certified copy of my landing papers. My problem is I cannot prove I was here then, I couldn't even file retro taxes at that time or even apply for a job, let alone work. Now when I came back in 2009, I am living at same place with my brother in law, but now I have a copy of my landing papers from immigration, which allowed me to apply to replace my sin card AND allowed me to open a bank account and will now allow me to work, when I get a job. I'm looking for a job now, for part-time. and plan to work for 2 years starting now, and then apply for PR card. My proof will be my working for this time, filing taxes based on actual income, and ofcourse I have my bank acct activity -checks from my husband in U.S. I deposit into my account. My brother in law-for sure will write a letter if they need it, stating I am living with him. hopefully this is enough proof. because the way it looks now, even though I am here, looks "undocumented". So I will do what you have suggested others do leon, apply for pr card when I am on "solid ground" to prove it. I hope they don't need utility statements cause my brother in law pays for this in his name, I pay him a portion of it every month to help cover costs. he's been very kind to us, We are so very fortunate to have him. I just wonder if in 1998 or 1999 those border people had the power to revoke someone's pr status-based on their own assertions-assumptions? anyways, i will find out whats in my file soon and will update you. Thanks so much Leon. I've also red on many forums, people have signed to relinquish their pr and still get stopped at borders and asked to sign relinquishment. Who knows what truly happened then? I honestly do not know.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you apply to renew your PR card, if you have ever visited a dentist or a doctor, especially if you go regularly, get a statement from them. Doctors and dentists have a little more weight than the regular person so if your doctor says you have been in Canada and have been a patient of his since such and such date, they will believe that. I assume you also have documents from renewing your SIN etc. and when you did that.

If your husband is a US citizen and he can get a job offer in Canada as an engineer, he could apply for a NAFTA work permit in order to join you, see http://www.canadavisa.com/nafta-temporary-work-permit-canada.html All he would need is a letter of job offer verifying that it is an engineer position and he can show up at the border with his US passport, job offer and $150 and get a work permit instantly. From what I have heard, they usually grant NAFTA permits for 3 years so before it is even expired, you will have corrected your status and sponsored him for PR or if he would rather, he could apply for PR himself.

phina1970

Jun 21, 2012
Hi Leon, thanks for all your suggestions. Actually, I have not been going to the Dr's as I should. I just recently was able to appy for carte maladie and it will take 3 months to recieve assurance and the card. They may not even approve my application too. Naturally I don;t want to be forced to pay out of pocket to see the Dr, here, but will if I have to. My back is hurting me alot and I need to see a chiropractor. I need a physical at this point and some dental work done. Still covered by my husband's medical insurance, I don;t know how it goes, seeing a Dr here. I will call and check. I probably have to pay out of pocket for myself and the boys and get a portion riembursed by them later (american insurance). Going to a local clinic in the area, and seeing Dr. and Dentist, is definetly a good idea , shouldn;t be a problem getting a letter from them, when the time comes, stating that I have been thei r patient from such a time-present. excellent suggestion for my husband to apply to engineering jobs here. I thought of it before, but thought an american address and U.S. phone# would put off getting a call back. Maybe he put my # and address on his resumes. Only problem is that I live in Montreal, and he's not a French speaker. Not sure if that is a factor when hiring an Engineer, or if they wouldn;t hire him if he does not have a work permit already. Also, what happens to these work permits of the job doesn't work out? or he takes another job in Canada? is the work permit only for that specific job? I think me working here is a very good way of securing my pr too. My income will be on my taxes and on my sin #. I have a Concordia University ID for now, and plan on taking a class here and there, maybe online so I can deal with my childcare issues. Yes, I do have the reciept form from service canada regarding my sin card replacement application. it does state on the bottom of form however that card was in dormant status and that they will take care of that , so I am not sure how that looks. They told me at the office it's no big deal, it doesnt effect work, or filing taxes or anything, just becaise I haven't filed taxes some years back, thats all and they will take it out of dormant status. My U.S. passport original one I have visa on expired in 2007, i have it but never applied for a new passport. they require copy of this original passport in the pr card form application, hopefully they don;t require a new valid U.S. passport, don;t need it really to go back.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you intend to bring your husband to Montreal, he should better start studying French although I am sure there are engineering jobs where it is not important. If the job doesn't work out, he may still reside in Canada for as long as the work permit is good for but if he finds another job, he needs a new permit.