+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expired without fullfillilng RO needs

dcam

Jul 14, 2012
I entered the Federal skilled workers program in 2007. We (me, my wife and two minor children) were granted the PR cards in 2010. Because of professional reasond and mostly because my wife did not want to stay, we returned to Brazil. I was in Canada five times before PR expired in 2016. I did not want to stay away from my children and avoid a divorce. They would suffer being 6 and 9 years old at that time.
My daughter is now 17 years old and got a 5 month term in High School in Calgary. She needed an eTA and it was granted to her without any problem. She is there now and we planned to visit her for Xmas. I applied online for eTAs for my wife (it was granted in 15 minutes, online), my 13 year old son and for myself.
After one week I checked further and realised our eTAs were denied because of PR status (just for my son and for me). We have two options: renounce the PR and try again an eTA (I wouldn't like to renounce it) but I don' know how much time it would take. Or give up the trip and try something different. What would you advise? Can I ask for humanitarian and compassionate grounds (because of the possible divorce and minor children)?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I entered the Federal skilled workers program in 2007. We (me, my wife and two minor children) were granted the PR cards in 2010. Because of professional reasond and mostly because my wife did not want to stay, we returned to Brazil. I was in Canada five times before PR expired in 2016. I did not want to stay away from my children and avoid a divorce. They would suffer being 6 and 9 years old at that time.
My daughter is now 17 years old and got a 5 month term in High School in Calgary. She needed an eTA and it was granted to her without any problem. She is there now and we planned to visit her for Xmas. I applied online for eTAs for my wife (it was granted in 15 minutes, online), my 13 year old son and for myself.
After one week I checked further and realised our eTAs were denied because of PR status (just for my son and for me). We have two options: renounce the PR and try again an eTA (I wouldn't like to renounce it) but I don' know how much time it would take. Or give up the trip and try something different. What would you advise? Can I ask for humanitarian and compassionate grounds (because of the possible divorce and minor children)?
None of you are eligible to apply for an eTA if you have PR status.
If it was obtained, it's either an error or PR status has been lost somehow.
Your daughter's one was definitely issued in error.

You have three options.
1) apply for PRTDs for all of you that are outside Canada, giving your best possible explanation of why you should be granted one (H&C).
2) travel via the USA land border, and take your chances.
3) renounce PR status formally and obtain eTAs to allow you to be visitors.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you mean your daughter has been paying international fees for a term in Canada? If she registered as a domestic student how did she do it without a valid PR card? She also doesn’t have a parent with her.